Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Rider
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I sure wish my dad was still around. He rode Indians before I was born and sold his last one, a Chief, when I was less than a year old (1955 or '56). Later, when all four sons were riding motorcycles and we were pushing him to ride again, he said that if he were to restart riding, it would have to be on a Harley or an Indian. Well, that was the late seventies. We "boys" were all riding Japanese hardware and I was working at a Kawasaki/Suzuki dealership. We wore him down and he ended up riding a KZ1000-ST. He and mom loved that bike. But Dad eventually sold it when his knees couldn't be trusted to support the big Kawasaki at stops. They're both gone now, before Y2K came about.
It sure would be a hoot if he saw what's happening now. Indian is back and making fantastic motorcycles. His youngest son rides an Indian now (and I expect that #3 will soon ride an Indian as well!). With Howie and Sophie in mind, I've started a gallery called Old Indians. The first 2 photos are of my Mom, Sophie, sitting on Dad's Chief. The other has the Chief and my two oldest brothers, Howie (GAWD! He hated being called Junior!) and Bernard. We have only a few old pictures with the Chief. I gotta look for more...

Friends! Lets see what you've got from the old photo albums!

·
Registered
459 Posts
You forgot to post the photos. The one thing I really enjoy are those old folks I meet that love to tell me about there parents or friends that use to have Indians.

·
Administrator
13,849 Posts
My first mcy ride was on my uncles '53 Roadmaster. I was 4yrs old when he put me on the back of the buddy seat, told me to hold on, and rolled out. It was instant love for me and I started saving my pennies -- got my first bike when I turned 16. Uncle Roy rode until he was 91. My hero and my role model... gonna dig for pics

·
Banned
5,398 Posts
I don't have any pictures but my dad had an Indian for a short while between graduating high school and enlisting in the Army. He graduated in 1949 and enlisted in 1950. He was wounded in combat in the Korean War.
Those Korean War guys are fading fast and not many of them around. The WW2 guys are all about done for the most part and I should not pause here............many Vietnam Vets are going at a very fast rate too.
I have never taken any of the Indians to the VA and I should have since Tampa has a nice motorcycle only parking lot but I am quite sure that many older guys there would have plenty of stories about Indians and other bikes in their day.
Two thumbs up for your dad. Alive or passed on........two thumbs up.

·
Founding member / platinum
10,006 Posts
I always take my Scout to the VA when I go..... I put my handicap placard on the handlebar and go on inside.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Would love to see pictures of your '47
My dad had a '47, bought brand new from Mac Stauffer in Dodge City, KS. Paid $795 for it.
In 1971 a guy came through wanting to buy it, dad didn't really want to sell it but it was usually in the way and close to needing new rings. He told the guy he what he paid for it 25 years before, and though he wasn't looking to sell it, he would take $2000 more that he gave for it. (Thinking that would scare the guy off) The guy nearly broke his arms reaching for his checkbook!
I wish I could hunt dad's old Chief up again, just to see it. But I haven't any idea how to...

If I come across a picture of it, I'll post it.

·
Bronze member
2,619 Posts
My dad bought his Indian in 1953,(741B) I come along in1958 my dad still as both of us ( he will not let me have his Indian and he's 87:()

·
Banned
5,398 Posts
Was............sold it two weeks ago. Buyer in El Sobrante CA over on the Oakland side of the bay. I'm getting out of the motorcycle thing. Boats...........boats...........always was boats but the bike thing was hard to shake. Still keeping my 74 Super Glide ( 1,800 miles ) and waiting for the bank deposit on the 47 HD. And keeping the 2014 Indian I have. Then 'no mas'............

Attachments

·
Administrator
13,849 Posts
That 47HD is also just gorgeous. you've clearly given it some TLC and either maintained or restored it meticulously. Nice!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts