Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
7EE357ED-D003-4FFB-8084-FF8F90AF5FAE.jpeg
I attended the Mecum Auction in Las Vegas over the weekend and noticed these two beauties up for sale. If I remember correctly the black 1944 sold for 18k and the red 1948 sold for 22K. Both appeared to be very nice and in my opinion worth the value despite the dripping oil. The same guy bought both.

9786078C-158A-4D7C-A69A-CD4F6B8C0928.jpeg

·
Registered
373 Posts
I'd say he got the 48 for $3000 to 4000 below it's value. The only drawback is they're both over-restored. Look at the chrome girder springs, chrome generator cover. The black one is a '46 not a "44.

·
Rider
519 Posts
Just gorgeous-looking machines. I’m not sure if the restored Indian market has taken a hit recently but those prices seem darn near reasonable. Not for me, but for someone with the wherewithal to own a piece of history that doubles as ‘Art’.

·
Bronze member
1,293 Posts
The 44 looks like it has the 48 oil pump on it too.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
You may be correct but they listed it as a 1944.

Here is a link to the ad.

1944 Indian Chief | S72 | Las Vegas 2019 | Mecum Auctions
Back in those days you sold a motorcycle an called it whatever year you sold it,
Honda from 62-65 registered bikes hare rE year you bought it. Sometimes you would see parts from different years because they put different parts on whenever they felt like it,, everyone may be right!

·
Early joiner
109 Posts
Back in those days you sold a motorcycle an called it whatever year you sold it,
Honda from 62-65 registered bikes hare rE year you bought it. Sometimes you would see parts from different years because they put different parts on whenever they felt like it,, everyone may be right!
That’s probably what I have going on with a Indian Four I bought, the title says 41 year model but the frame number starts with 440. The old gentleman that had it for the last 35 years seems to think that it was sold in 1941 so that’s what it’s titled. I’m having Todd at Jerry Greer’s Engineering go over it this week and I’ll definitely get the correct from him.

·
Bronze member
1,293 Posts
That’s probably what I have going on with a Indian Four I bought, the title says 41 year model but the frame number starts with 440. The old gentleman that had it for the last 35 years seems to think that it was sold in 1941 so that’s what it’s titled. I’m having Todd at Jerry Greer’s Engineering go over it this week and I’ll definitely get the correct from him.
There is some good people out there at Greer's!

·
Registered
373 Posts
You may be correct but they listed it as a 1944.

Here is a link to the ad.

1944 Indian Chief | S72 | Las Vegas 2019 | Mecum Auctions
I see they don't list a VIN which is typically the frame number in most states. 44's had a leaf front end not girder and the tank emblem is wrong for starters. 44's also usually have a 110 mph Corbin speedo. The engine number says 44 if it's not a restamp. It look like an over restored parts bin bike. Still if you're not OCD about an original bike and just wanted an old Indian it's def worth the 18K. I'd blast off the excess chrome and get the black rattle can out though.

Indian-1944-Chief-GG-1.jpg

1 - 10 of 10 Posts