Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

Old Indian Motorcycle Photos

39922 Views 418 Replies 38 Participants Last post by  Roamalot
So in celebration of my 200th post, I wanted to get something started that is near and dear to my heart.

Vintage Photos. Since we are all fans of a brand that has such a long and storied history, I thought it only fitting that we get something like this going!

Post up your favorite Vintage Photos featuring an Indian Motorcycle! Bottom two photos are our founding fathers (George Hendee / mustache) and Oscar Hedstrom.

I will go first:

401 - 419 of 419 Posts

· Bronze member
2014 chief classic
2,275 Posts
Fuel tank Plant Wheel Automotive fuel system Tire
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Motorcycle
Font Art Visual arts Monochrome photography Personal protective equipment
Font Rectangle Writing Paper Event
Font Writing Art Paper Document
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Motor vehicle
Wheel Tire Photograph Motor vehicle Vehicle

Don Welbon wrote, "The biggest problem for this 4 cylinder was no matter what Indian did, they could never get more than 40 HP on the test stand. Only later, did people figure out the bottom end was basically a 'torque converter'. The oil was sloshing around the crankshaft and impeding it from turning faster, producing more power". Doc
Indian was using it's 841 frame on this prototype, along with a Vard front end (Vards were available in the mid'40s). There are several pictures that show E. DuPont riding one similar with an 841 front end (which was used on the '46-'48 Chiefs, though, somewhat modified, after the War). Indian had a single, twin and a four prototype with this frame/front end set-up. Had Indian gotten the War time contract to supply M/Cs to the Military, the profit they would have had would've made them a reality.

· Registered
1 Posts
Which brings us to the question of what is considered “old” when we talk about this thread? Answer: basically anything up to 1953, when the original Indian MC went bankrupt. So this thread is not about recent pics of old bikes ~~ it’s about old pics of old Indian mcy’s // 1953 or older.
View attachment 663391
Any idea what issue of Time Mag this is from? My friend has this bike and we are currently working to restore it. This photo was shared by a friend of his along with a copy of the sales receipt from 1942 when the bike was purchased. Any info would be very much appreciated.

· Administrator
25,667 Posts
Any idea what issue of Time Mag this is from? My friend has this bike and we are currently working to restore it. This photo was shared by a friend of his along with a copy of the sales receipt from 1942 when the bike was purchased. Any info would be very much appreciated.
I don’t have the exact month but I believe it was 1947

401 - 419 of 419 Posts