Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wonder if new Indian owners and others would be interested in reading nostalgic stories about owning and riding 50's or earlier Indians. Removing a flat tire along side the road, changing oil, adjusting valves, adjusting primary chains, top end overhaul, replacing transmission gears, etc. Also stories about famous Indian racers and funny stories about Indian vs Harley culture, etc. :confused:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Milwaukee late 50's I'm age 16, 1948 Chief, Just had sheared off studs replaced on my rear drum and new clutch discs. "Hey Jim, watch me peel rubber". Gave a mighty rev, popped the treadle clutch, Bike lurched ahead with my 120 lb body sliding off the chummee seat and me hanging onto just the throttle grip, headed accross the street toward a new black Lincoln. There is a God that protected young noobs on Indians! Somehow I climbed back over and onto the seat and regained control in time to turn away from the Lincoln. I had to learn to ride my Chief completely on my own, twas years before I learned to counter steer, relying on my 120lbs to bank around curves and sometimes landing in the gutter. It's hard for a 120lb kid to manhandle a 600lb Chief. Them was the days!!

·
Bronze member
2,788 Posts
Do you still have the Old Chief?
My gramps & grandma both rode in their day, in line 4's, was still young when they passed & only have stories from my parents about them & some great old pics.

Love hearing about the old bikes & hope one day I'm blessed enough to own one. Keep the stories comin!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I had brief encounters in the 60's with a number of LA area olde tyme Indian notables here in Southern CA. Bought my second '48 Chief from Bob Stark (RIP) Starklite in1969, attended rides and IMCA field events with Bob, Shortie and Gary. I turned 80 recently and can't remember most of the names. Anybody remember old man Tate, had an old gas station turned motorcycle repair shop in Long Beach. He made a valve for my Zundapp KS-601 from a diesel valve, could fix or make almost anything Indian motorcycle. I remember riding a 10/1 compression Chief chopper with 1/2 turn throttle at Shel Tuet's Indian shop in LA on Century Street. Who was that crusty old guy in San Gabriel that bought up tons of Indian parts and planned to market an Indian scout line?? I have snapshot pictures of my young wife sitting in McQueen's sidecar maroon Chief and fun events organized by Bob Stark.. As an adult, I used my second/current Chief mainly as a daily commuter to my 40+ aerospace career at North American's Space Division in Downey, CA, retired in 2000.

·
Registered
8,004 Posts
I wonder if new Indian owners and others would be interested in reading nostalgic stories about owning and riding 50's or earlier Indians. Removing a flat tire along side the road, changing oil, adjusting valves, adjusting primary chains, top end overhaul, replacing transmission gears, etc. Also stories about famous Indian racers and funny stories about Indian vs Harley culture, etc. :confused:
Hell yes!! Even though I will most likely never own a true Vintage, if I was 50 vs 59, I would have bought one already.

·
Bronze member
2,643 Posts
I had brief encounters with a number of olde tyme Indian notables here in Southern CA. Bought my second '48 Chief from Bob Stark (RIP) Starklite in1969, attended rides and field events with Bob, Shortie and Gary. I turned 80 recently and can't remember most of the names. Anybody remember old man Tate, had an old gas station turned motorcycle repair shop in Long Beach. He made a valve for my Zundapp KS-601 from a diesel valve, could fix or make almost anything Indian motorcycle. I remember riding a 10/1 compression Chief chopper with 1/2 turn throttle at Shel's Indian shop in LA on Century Street. Who was that crusty old guy in San Gabriel that bought up tons of Indian parts and planned to market an Indian scout line?? I have a picture of my young wife sitting in McQueen's sidecar maroon Chief.
Got any photos of your in counters with the old timers?

·
Registered
336 Posts
There was a place I thought was in Arcadia on Santa Anita that I bought parts for my 46, but it could have been in San Gabriel. Don’t really remember, many years ago. Still a guy in Ventura right next to the 101 fwy been there for years. Old guy and his daughter, lots of original Indian parts and a few bikes for sale.

·
Premium Member
1,815 Posts
Hell yes!! Even though I will most likely never own a true Vintage, if I was 50 vs 59, I would have bought one already.
What?! You are running out of days, you better act now.

One year ago (5/31) I traded my Vision on a used Roadmaster. As of 5/31/19 I put 10,400 miles on it. Whoop.
As of the end of this month (June 19), my wife will have her license for one year. She graduated to Chieftain in March.

Life is too short already. Live it!

PS
I am 59 and change.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Milwaukee late 50's I'm age 16, 1948 Chief, Just had sheared off studs replaced on my rear drum and new clutch discs. "Hey Jim, watch me peel rubber". Gave a mighty rev, popped the treadle clutch, Bike lurched ahead with my 120 lb body sliding off the chummee seat and me hanging onto just the throttle grip, headed accross the street toward a new black Lincoln. There is a God that protected young noobs on Indians! Somehow I climbed back over and onto the seat and regained control in time to turn away from the Lincoln. I had to learn to ride my Chief completely on my own, twas years before I learned to counter steer, relying on my 120lbs to bank around curves and sometimes landing in the gutter. It's hard for a 120lb kid to manhandle a 600lb Chief. Them was the days!!
Did you ever notice that nearly every action that follows, “Hey, watch me...(fill in the blank),” ends poorly for the one being watched? Nearly as bad as, “Hold my beer while I...”

I'm glad you, the Lincoln, and your Indian escaped any serious repercussions!

·
Bronze member
1,293 Posts
I remember going to Wauseon back in 1987 to get some parts for my 46 Chief that I got from Dino in Pa. That is when that meet was a small one! I only had that 46 for a few months, still kick myself for getting rid of it. I picked up a 48 in 2016 from Tom Boise in Vermont, he could trace the bike back to its original owner as he knew him. I enjoy getting out on it and when I stop at a gas station to fill up or a store, the older guys I meet usually stop me and tell me stories of when they got home from the war and bought one or their dad or grandfather had one! The older guys have some great stories to tell, it is sad that when they are gone the stories and some of that knowledge will be gone too.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I just turned 60, and my father died before I started 1st grade (f*cking cancer), but a guy I've been friends with since 1st grade - I KNOW that his dad had an Indian way back in the 50's. When I purchased my new Roadmaster, I texted him a photo of the war bonnet with a caption, "I might not remembered for a lot, but I WILL be remembered for owning an Indian"

1 - 18 of 18 Posts