Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my rear pulley replaced under warranty because it was making a noticeable "chirp" on accel. I asked to take a pic of the two before they chucked the old one and the dealer obliged. The edges are deeper as well as the channels, but the important part is no more noise!
IMG_1191.JPG

Old left new right

IMG_1193.JPG

IMG_1192.JPG

·
Founding member
908 Posts
Interesting. Did Indian change the spec on the pulley? Do you know when? What year is your bike? Thanks.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Interesting. Did Indian change the spec on the pulley? Do you know when? What year is your bike? Thanks.
Hi, yes.
My bike is a 2015 Chieftain and they changed the pulley for '16, there is a new part number for the new pulley, just search the forum for the numbers. I didn't have to have that information to get the work done, because the shop manager was aware of the change for '16. I just called them up and told them I had a squeak/chirp noise on acceleration that becomes less noticeable when things warm up, but never goes away. Indian also changed the gaskets for the hard bags, but that's not a simple swap because the lips of the bags are different for '16.

·
Registered
178 Posts
They did acknowledge. That is why many of us have had the pulley/belt changed under warranty. However, since it isn't a safety problem and isn't affecting all bikes, they are changing them as needed.

·
Registered
2,543 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
I stopped by my dealer yesterday.
Planning on having the recall work done on the rear brake.
And at the same time they are going to dig into the chirping issue.

They told me that they will try to see if it can be replaced under warranty but must make sure it is adjusted correctly first to see if it stops chirping. That's fair, I guess.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I stopped by my dealer yesterday.
Planning on having the recall work done on the rear brake.
And at the same time they are going to dig into the chirping issue.

They told me that they will try to see if it can be replaced under warranty but must make sure it is adjusted correctly first to see if it stops chirping. That's fair, I guess.
It won't. Tell them to not waist your time

·
Registered
65 Posts
Same belt issue here. I have to pay for install. They corp covered parts. It's a big run around. I called corp and raised cane, and got nowhere.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Try a wee bit of lubricant, do not saturate but enuf. Squeaks and chirps should go away.
Do not use lubricant on the belt.!!! Clean it as best you can. Make sure it is aligned. If the pulleys are an issue then the only resolve will be to have it replaced with the new spec. I have the same issue of squaking under acceleration with my 2015 Roadmaster and will check into the warranty for the pulley.

·
Gold member
6,421 Posts
Do not use lubricant on the belt.!!! Clean it as best you can. Make sure it is aligned. If the pulleys are an issue then the only resolve will be to have it replaced with the new spec. I have the same issue of squaking under acceleration with my 2015 Roadmaster and will check into the warranty for the pulley. Seem's my instruction apparently is useless, so since my noise have gone away, I'll keep my little trick to myself. FYI not everything that makes a noise doesn't have to be changed or done by warranty. Anyway!

·
Founding member
545 Posts
I didn't mention on the belt, let
Me be more clear it's the pullie making a noise, try a little squirt of lubricant on the pullie. This won't hurt, if you shoot too much on the belt it may come off. So I repeat a little squirt on the pullie. This worked for me on three different bikes. 2 were chains and one was rubber! I hope that is more clear.
Just get the pulley replaced. I had my 2014 done a few months ago, free of charge.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts