Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a better way to fill up? it seems as if i can't put the gas nozzle all the way in, there is a bar across the tank opening. So i'm having to pull back the cover, only draw back is the overfill on the tank.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Damn Ok, then i guess practice makes perfect

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
The bar is to keep someone from stealing gas. No easier way that I have heard
Howzat? I had to siphon off some gas outta my Chieftain and had no problem getting the tube by that bar. I thought it was to keep splash back down when filling up. Out here in Kalifornia we have those turtle necks on all our gas pumps. We have to hold those up to get the pumps feeding.

·
Premium Member
3,571 Posts
Tube vs water hose. Key is you can't put the neck in and walk away. Oh well it is only five gallons. I hate the turtle necks, we don't have them.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
See to me the Bar is dumb, could've had a key entry with all the other Key Entries on the bike, i.e. Bags/Trunk/Steering

·
Founding member / Distinguished
3,682 Posts
The bar is there to keep you from overfilling the tank. Plain and simple. To put more fuel in risks venting overboard or pushing fuel out thru the gas cap. With the fuel range on the Indians why do you feel the need to try to put more in? Dean E

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Get one of these things that I have for that nozzle boot, two different sizes, fits over the ring under that boot, to hold the boot, I keep mine in the lower right fairing.

·
Registered
7,995 Posts

·
Registered
7,995 Posts
Here is a YouTube video on how to use it.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Don't like it, because it rides the paint around the fill neck, scratching the surface over time, my buddy had one, and it leaked a bit of fuel in his bag after use as well.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
I have a friend that got in the habit of sticking the gas pipe down in the tank as far as it would go and didn't realize he was hitting the tank where it goes over the frame in the center of the tank. Over time he kept chipping off the inside paint until it clogged the filter in the tank. It was on a triumph America. I cleaned it all out for him but when I saw the bar on my chieftain I thought it was a pain but it kept you from jamming the gas Nossel down into the tank....if there is another reason great but this is what it reminds me on all my bikes now.....

·
Founding member / Distinguished
1,956 Posts
Hmmm, I think the only thing more useless than a McCuff is a Solar powered cigarette

·
Premium Member
3,571 Posts
QUOTE="Bluey, post: 41967, member: 1735"]Hmmm, I think the only thing more useless than a McCuff is a Solar powered cigarette[/QUOTE]

When no one is looking a pocket knife solves the problem

·
Founding Member
529 Posts
The bar is there to prevent damage to the fuel pump and filter assembly by ramming the nozzle in to the assembly. Man you guys come up with some wild shit.

Reactions: mncp8r

·
Registered
723 Posts
Bar protects innards. Location of the bar stops the nozzle insertion at the optimum level for a full tank (when the bike is on the side stand) using the automatic shut off with the lowest flow rate. Any more gasoline and there could be overflow from the tank on hot days.

So sayeth Polaris.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts