Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

OK... How do you pump gas.

5008 Views 48 Replies 30 Participants Last post by  Old Salty
Hold your laughs, I'm new to the motorbike world and I just had my first visit to the gas pump.

I know some states can be different but where I am in NY, the rubber surrounding the gas pump needs to go up to a certain height before the safety is off and the gas will flow.

I can't get the pump far deep enough into the gas tank hole for that to happen so I had to use my hand to pull it up. As a result while pumping little drops of gas ricochets out, making a mess of my hands and tank.

So how do you properly fill a tank without making a mess?

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk
  • Haha
Reactions: DDBCK
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Bronze member
1,548 Posts
I do what Gilroy says when riding thru states with these annoying sleeves, and I always carry a microfiber towel to wipe down the tank after filling up. Comes in handy for even those states w/ no sleeves but high-pressure pumps that spew droplets as you get to the top.
Yup. I forgot to mention have your own towel for clean up. The stations often have paper towels but wouldn’t count on it.

· Bronze member
1,548 Posts
In NJ the gas station attendants often pitch a fit if you try to pump gas for your car. But the great majority assume you will pump your own gas for your MC. And they let you do so with no issues. Guess they would pump for a MC if you asked though.

· Bronze member
1,548 Posts
Just curious guys, what is the rationale for NJ's gas pumping law/policy?

BD
Like most laws it’s just the government taking care of us. To quote the statute:
Because of the fire hazards directly associated with dispensing fuel, it is in the public interest that gasoline station operators have the control needed over that activity to ensure compliance with appropriate safety procedures, including turning off vehicle engines and refraining from smoking while fuel is dispensed.
Also remember it’s jersey - we don’t need no stinkin “rationales”....

· Bronze member
1,548 Posts
L O L. If you’re tipping the attendants you must be a right popular guy at the gas stations. Certainly no Jersey residents do so. (I Never tip in a car, and though I’ll tell them to keep the change when filling up I’m referring to the ¢ents not dollar$ because they’d have to go back to the booth to get the coins and it’s not worth the wait). But otherwise nobody tips.

· Bronze member
1,548 Posts
The United States federal excise tax on gasoline is 18.4 cents per gallon. On top of that is a state tax, which varies by state of course. New Jersey tax is 41.4 cents per gallon. Pennsylvania tax is 58.7 per gallon. That’s the start of the difference.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts