Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hold your laughs, I'm new to the motorbike world and I just had my first visit to the gas pump.

I know some states can be different but where I am in NY, the rubber surrounding the gas pump needs to go up to a certain height before the safety is off and the gas will flow.

I can't get the pump far deep enough into the gas tank hole for that to happen so I had to use my hand to pull it up. As a result while pumping little drops of gas ricochets out, making a mess of my hands and tank.

So how do you properly fill a tank without making a mess?

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk

• Haha
Reactions: DDBCK

·
Registered
538 Posts
I hate filling my Scout up. I have heard the FTR is much worse...I cannot imagine worse!

·
Registered
3,502 Posts
I’m down here in environmentally reckless South Carolina, so I’ve never seen the sleeves you have issues with. If it were me, I’d fill up a 2 gallon gas can (with a good nozzle) while in my car and take it home to fill up the bike. Then, fill the tank slow while traveling outside of your home area.

Bubba

·
Bronze member
2,101 Posts
Take your gloves off.

Get a paper towel from the windshield cleaner kiosk.

You fold it so that one surface is across your fingers touching the rubber surround and the rest is laying over the back side of your fingers and the last part is laying against the tank (you've made an open-sided mitten out of the paper towel, takes 1 second).

Be sure to have the spout all the way in against the tank inner stopper (where the spout can't go in any further).

Then pull up on the surround.

Do not try to add more once the pump auto-shuts off to fill the last couple of mm of space that is left, as you will have gas kick back up onto the tank.

The spouts shut off very accurately now, and 98% of the time you will have no issues.

The hardest part is remembering to get the paper towel.

If you don't use the towel, you will get the gas smell in your gloves.

Final note - keep an eye on the pump-lock that you use when gassing up a car, some pumps have a style that auto-locks and they often are slow to release and they allow gas to kick back up and or it can just keep fueling with gas pouring out the top of the tank (happened once on my Ducati).

It is best to purposely make sure it does not engage.

HTH.

Reactions: Orange rider

·
Founding member / platinum
9,888 Posts
Hold your laughs, I'm new to the motorbike world and I just had my first visit to the gas pump.

I know some states can be different but where I am in NY, the rubber surrounding the gas pump needs to go up to a certain height before the safety is off and the gas will flow.

I can't get the pump far deep enough into the gas tank hole for that to happen so I had to use my hand to pull it up. As a result, while pumping little drops of gas ricochets out, making a mess of my hands and tank.

Two suggestions:
First, move to Texas we don't have that rubber ring to put up with.
Second, with all the OEM stuff that is in the tank center, I have pretty good luck moving the nozzle end more toward the right or left side of the center.

·
Rider
986 Posts
Using the pumps with the rubber sleeves, you have to hold them up, put the nozzle as deep as it goes and pump.

I usually try to fill up at the stations with the long nozzles that don't have the rubber sleeves, much easier. Now I know which stations have those based on the name.

·
Bronze member
1,186 Posts

·
Bronze member
1,186 Posts
Check out the tacky company video on the homepage. If you're patient enough you'll hear ABBA in the background. *(You're welcome! LOL)

By the way, my riding buddies made fun of me for buying one however I never overfill. It works!

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
I roll out to the East Coast every summer and I know exactly what your talking about it’s a pain in the ass lol just pull the sleeve back and pump slow as mentioned not much more you can do. I know it’s a pain to see where your at in the tank with the sleeve blocking your view

·
Registered
472 Posts
Missouri got rid of the vapor recovery nozzles (called Stage II) a few years ago. Good riddance. They used to be required by the EPA. That was rescinded because the automakers were mandated to build the vapor recovery into the fuel tank. Each state had a different schedule for removing them (or making it a state requirement).

New York:
Last Updated: 2014-04-23
Stage II decommissioning is allowed when proper removal procedures are followed.
Source: Stage II Decommissioning Guide | Source

Here is Missouri, once the EPA removed the requirement, there was a concerted effort by car clubs and motorcyclists to pressure gas stations to change their nozzles.

Reactions: New York Mike

·
Silver member
5,908 Posts

I can't get the pump far deep enough into the gas tank hole for that to happen so I had to use my hand to pull it up. As a result while pumping little drops of gas ricochets out, making a mess of my hands and tank.

Where in NY are you located... near or in the NY City? I'm in central NY (Brewerton) and haven't seen those kind of pump handles.

As others have mentioned, fill slowly. When I fill up I put the spout in the tank then stuff a paper towel around / between the spout and tank opening, and fill slowly. When the handle shuts off automatically, that's it.... done.

·
Administrator
24,881 Posts
I do what Gilroy says when riding thru states with these annoying sleeves, and I always carry a microfiber towel to wipe down the tank after filling up. Comes in handy for even those states w/ no sleeves but high-pressure pumps that spew droplets as you get to the top.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts