Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

Oily Mess: Crankcase Blow-By: Dealer says Normal?

4401 Views 31 Replies 20 Participants Last post by  MikeMPGH
I just get done riding 2-3 hundred miles and my left side cover is always covered in oil. The dealer says it's Crankcase Blow-By, and it's normal (oil checked, level and hot, just above the add, dealer says he put in 5.5Qts, no more/no less). Also said that as I have hi-flow air cleaner, stage-2 cams, ECU stage-2 flash and performance exhaust, it will be even more prevalent. So, our bikes are supposed to have oil smeared down the left saddlebag and side cover from the crankcase blow-by? Is this B.S., or have I just bought the wrong bike?... I love my new Chieftain, but this seems poorly designed.

Anybody else have this issue? Anybody else fix this issue?

WTF? Alright ya smart guys, pour the knowledge on me...
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Founding member
1,086 Posts
Simple solution,buy a Indian oil change kit. Change the oil and filter yourself. Make sure all the old oil is drained out.

5.5 quarts in.Also clean the residue from your air cleaner.

There are two drain plugs,maybee dealer only opened one and didn't drain all the old oil out before refilling.

I know,75$ spent on a oil kit when you don't need to change oil yet.

But I think its worth it if it fixes your problem.

These bikes are really good! Don't give up. Ive got 25K combined on the two I've owned with no mechanical issues,and I don't baby them.

· Founding member
1,086 Posts
Just did my 10K oil change. Really easy.I know I got only 5.5 qt in the crankcase.

As was stated in a previous post standing the bike up allowed more oil to drain out.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.