Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just get done riding 2-3 hundred miles and my left side cover is always covered in oil. The dealer says it's Crankcase Blow-By, and it's normal (oil checked, level and hot, just above the add, dealer says he put in 5.5Qts, no more/no less). Also said that as I have hi-flow air cleaner, stage-2 cams, ECU stage-2 flash and performance exhaust, it will be even more prevalent. So, our bikes are supposed to have oil smeared down the left saddlebag and side cover from the crankcase blow-by? Is this B.S., or have I just bought the wrong bike?... I love my new Chieftain, but this seems poorly designed.

Anybody else have this issue? Anybody else fix this issue?

WTF? Alright ya smart guys, pour the knowledge on me...

·
Bronze member
3,129 Posts
Hi flow A/C, stage 1 exhaust, stage 2 cams, Dobeck fuel controller. 7k miles on a '16 RM. Several long trips, no oil blow by.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Everybody in here thst I read about blow by had too much oil. Just had my oil changed by Indian and read it at home and it was at the full line

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How many miles on the bike?
About 1800. I hadn't cleaned the air filter as it was new. Dealer tech said I'll have to clean out the oil from my air filter more often. Sounds like BS to me.

Reactions: joescian

·
Red & Black ChiefMaster
628 Posts
DO NOT let dealers do your oil change... it is as simple as that. Last year, I just did my first oil change (800 km) than brought it for recall on the brake thing... Than I saw the mechanic adding oil to my bike... WTF!!! He said "you did not add enough oil and you are missing one full quart"... I stopped him in time before he added too much. Still got a bit of oil in air cleaner box, but not much.

It's not only Indian... on my other bike (Suzuki C109R), you get big time puke on the left side air cleaner if you over-fill... Along the 90000km so far, I got only one oil change done at dealer (bike was there for a rectifier recall and I was in a crunch for time)... well... it's the only time my bike puked from the left side...

·
Registered
2019 Roadmaster w/BBK116
333 Posts
Agree with smg3r the 111 takes 5.5 no more or less the fill line will be the lower section of slash marks not the top where it says full. I had a M109 and it had to be run for several minutes before ckg like the 111 because of the semi dry sump. Over filling usually leads to blowby. The mechanic at my dealer said when they first started selling Indian he had to review filling procedures to keep from overfilling.

·
Founding member
1,110 Posts
Simple solution,buy a Indian oil change kit. Change the oil and filter yourself. Make sure all the old oil is drained out.

5.5 quarts in.Also clean the residue from your air cleaner.

There are two drain plugs,maybee dealer only opened one and didn't drain all the old oil out before refilling.

I know,75$ spent on a oil kit when you don't need to change oil yet.

But I think its worth it if it fixes your problem.

These bikes are really good! Don't give up. Ive got 25K combined on the two I've owned with no mechanical issues,and I don't baby them.

·
Banned
451 Posts
I just get done riding 2-3 hundred miles and my left side cover is always covered in oil. The dealer says it's Crankcase Blow-By, and it's normal (oil checked, level and hot, just above the add, dealer says he put in 5.5Qts, no more/no less). Also said that as I have hi-flow air cleaner, stage-2 cams, ECU stage-2 flash and performance exhaust, it will be even more prevalent. So, our bikes are supposed to have oil smeared down the left saddlebag and side cover from the crankcase blow-by? Is this B.S., or have I just bought the wrong bike?... I love my new Chieftain, but this seems poorly designed.

Anybody else have this issue? Anybody else fix this issue?

WTF? Alright ya smart guys, pour the knowledge on me...
Getting ready to instal matching color n chrome crankcase filter. The ( Main ) thing to remember if doing this mod is not to mount breather where direct wind hits the filter element, == You will be blowing the oil , fumes etc. right back in the engine.... There is always the pcv valve we could add.

·
Vendor / bronze
3,024 Posts
You probably have too much oil. It is difficult to get an accurate reading on the dipstick. The oil circulates and returns to the sump over time. Drain and add 5.5 its. Forget the the dipstick reading. (I know some of you will scream how you can read your dipstick with no problem. Some bikes seem to give false readings.) Also, I don't think your ECU stage 2 flash is enough for the other other mods. You need more fuel and you will get better performance and better gas mileage. Get a fuel management computer installed. I like the Dobeck EJK because you can adjust it yourself.

·
Bronze member
2,924 Posts
If you have a high oil level it will blow it in to the air filter then out down the side of your bike, your dealer is BSing you.

·
Senior member / silver
3,453 Posts
I think the general consensus is too much oil. Like Aussiekeeper says drain a quart and recheck. Also clean your air filter, then drink 2 beers and call us in the morning.

·
Banned
2,947 Posts
The only time I EVER got any oil on the outside of my bike was caused from over tightening my JES oil temp dipstick. My mechanic said that if you over tighten them it will deform the "O" ring and allow oil to mist out. I don't know if that applies to the OEM dipstick or not. I had a fine mist on the side cover and mainly on the lid of my saddlebag.

You might want to take a look at your dipstick "O" ring and make sure it looks as it should.

I also have all the mod's you mentioned.

Reactions: HYWMAN

·
Banned
2,947 Posts
Simple solution,buy a Indian oil change kit. Change the oil and filter yourself. Make sure all the old oil is drained out.

5.5 quarts in.Also clean the residue from your air cleaner.

There are two drain plugs,maybee dealer only opened one and didn't drain all the old oil out before refilling.

I know,75$ spent on a oil kit when you don't need to change oil yet.

But I think its worth it if it fixes your problem.

These bikes are really good! Don't give up. Ive got 25K combined on the two I've owned with no mechanical issues,and I don't baby them.
I took two Indian Oil change kits home with me the day I took delivery of my new bike.

The mechanic also told me that when full, if you remove the dipstick with the bike on the side stand, oil will run out of the filler hole.

·
Banned
5,398 Posts
Just an observation here .................have seen two dealers do oil changes and BOTH left bike on kickstand. I do my oil changes and the bike has to be upright at one point. Yes it is Ok to drain it on the kickstand at first but then stand it straight up and watch half a quart at least come out. This is where it could be coming from. Then they ( the dealer or you/us ) add the 5.5 quarts and its going to be a little high.
Some freerer flowing air filters will really let the rider smell the crankcase vapors.
Like this one will.....................

And best bulletproof way to check oil? Warm it up good like a 10 minute ride.............then on kickstand let it sit for 2 minutes with engine off. Unscrew filler cap/dipstick and oil level should be just underneath the threads on the engine case half. EZ...........or stand it upright and make sure the oil is not over the top mark on the dipstick.
Buty if a dealer is doing it, bet you a dollar that most are doing it on the kickstand and not getting it all out in the first place. These are not Harleys with 3 drain plugs including transmission in different places. The plugs are right next to each other on the T111. EZ stuff. Just do not over tighten plugs.

·
Banned
5,398 Posts
I took two Indian Oil change kits home with me the day I took delivery of my new bike.

The mechanic also told me that when full, if you remove the dipstick with the bike on the side stand, oil will run out of the filler hole.
No no noooooo...................oil will be just below the threads when a warmed up engine sits for like 2 minutes. Flowing out? Too much oil.................

·
Banned
2,947 Posts
Whenever I check my oil it's about 1/4 of the way above the add mark and that's fine with me

Reactions: PrometheusVII

·
Red & Black ChiefMaster
628 Posts
Just an observation here .................have seen two dealers do oil changes and BOTH left bike on kickstand. I do my oil changes and the bike has to be upright at one point. Yes it is Ok to drain it on the kickstand at first but then stand it straight up and watch half a quart at least come out. This is where it could be coming from. Then they ( the dealer or you/us ) add the 5.5 quarts and its going to be a little high.
Some freerer flowing air filters will really let the rider smell the crankcase vapors.
Like this one will.....................

And best bulletproof way to check oil? Warm it up good like a 10 minute ride.............then on kickstand let it sit for 2 minutes with engine off. Unscrew filler cap/dipstick and oil level should be just underneath the threads on the engine case half. EZ...........or stand it upright and make sure the oil is not over the top mark on the dipstick.
Buty if a dealer is doing it, bet you a dollar that most are doing it on the kickstand and not getting it all out in the first place. These are not Harleys with 3 drain plugs including transmission in different places. The plugs are right next to each other on the T111. EZ stuff. Just do not over tighten plugs.
That absolutely cannot be!

The manual clearly says to "Securely support the motorcycle in an upright (vertical) position" for the whole procedure!!!!

And surely, all Indian mechanics follow the methods described in the Indian manual to the letter... it would be unprofessional not to do so!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts