Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new 2015 Vintage coming soon. I would like to know WHY, my dealer....whom I'm sure is not alone, keep toting their 20-40 syn. blend,
when I'm sure 10-40 full syn. amsoil is much better. What gives??????

·
Founding member / Distinguished
5,103 Posts
Do a search for "oil" on any motorcycle or automotive and you'll get a WIDE variety of opinions.

If you look at your owners manual on page 128 you'll find:

Engine Oil Recommendation
We recommend the use of INDIAN MOTORYCLE Premium Synthetic Blend 20W-40 Engine Oil for your motorcycle. This oil is formulated with synthetic-based oil and premium engine additive which have physical properties that meet API SM and ILSAC GF-4 specifications.
Do not blend oil additives with engine oil.
If oil must be added in an emergency and the recommended oil is not available, choose only a high-quality 20W-40 motorcycle oil. Change back to the recommended oil at the first opportunity.
NOTICE: Use of non-recommended lubricants can result in engine damage. Damage resulting from the use of non recommended lubricants is not covered by warranty.
Why would it surprise you that a manufacture recommends a product they sell? Why would you expect your dealer to recommend anything against what the manufacture recommends?

Of course you can use whatever oil you want to in your bike. If you choose to use something other than the recommended oil you open yourself up to warranty work being denied if the oil MAY have been the cause of the failure. Personally I don't want to risk having a legal battle with Indian to prove or disprove the cause of the failure so I am going to use the recommended oil.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As long as your oil meets manufacture specs, there is no way in h_ll they can deny a warranty claim!! If you must run the manufactures oil to validate a warranty claim
then the manufacturer must provide you that oil at no cost. When is the last time anyone can remember an oil related failure?? Oils are far superior than yrs. of the
past, and full syn. is far superior than any syn. dino blend.......MHO!!

·
5,103 Posts
You asked "I would like to know WHY, my dealer....whom I'm sure is not alone, keep toting their 20-40 syn." To which I provided the answer in the form of a direct quote from the owners manual and stated "Why would you expect your dealer to recommend anything against what the manufacture recommends?"

I am fully aware of the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. However, I guess you missed it when I said "I don't want to risk having a legal battle with Indian to prove or disprove the cause of the failure so I am going to use the recommended oil." I will not use any oil other than the recommended oil during the warranty period, nor do I expect to change the oil I'm using after the warranty PERIOD. You nor anyone else's opinion, honest or otherwise, will change that...ever.

OTOH, you may have also missed it when I said "
Of course you can use whatever oil you want to in your bike." Use whatever oil you want to use. I could care less what you do with your bike. Just don't expect me, or anyone else for that matter, to agree with you when I don't.

Your first two posts on the forum are divisive and argumentative which makes me think
2-19-12-Bearman-Cartoons-Internet-Troll.png

But maybe I'm wrong...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
I have used various Amsoil in my rides and my cages for many years. I have never had an oil related issue.
I do, however, follow a process. The first two oil changes are with the oils recommended by the manufacturer. I do this since I know the engine will continue to break in during those first two changes and the highest incident of engine problems will occur that early. After the first two changes, I do to whatever Amsoil I want that meets the manufactures properties. The same is true for the oil filters. I like KN chrome filters. They are a good filter plus they have a nut shape on the top that assists with removal. Indian sells filters as well as part of their $80 - 90 oil change kit. Yeah right.

740-508_A.jpg MCF.jpg

I will NOT continue to purchase Indians overpriced oil for my bike simply because Indian says it is the best for the bike. To those who owned HD, Yamaha, etc....did you continue to purchase their specific brand? It is simply a way to make additional money.

Attachments

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you DrZ, I agree with you....not to be argumentative with ANYONE, just don't see how the manufacturer or anyone else could claim that a synthetic blended
with Dino oil, could be superior to a FULL synthetic.

·
Registered
32 Posts
You asked "I would like to know WHY, my dealer....whom I'm sure is not alone, keep toting their 20-40 syn." To which I provided the answer in the form of a direct quote from the owners manual and stated "Why would you expect your dealer to recommend anything against what the manufacture recommends?"

I am fully aware of the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. However, I guess you missed it when I said "I don't want to risk having a legal battle with Indian to prove or disprove the cause of the failure so I am going to use the recommended oil." I will not use any oil other than the recommended oil during the warranty period, nor do I expect to change the oil I'm using after the warranty PERIOD. You nor anyone else's opinion, honest or otherwise, will change that...ever.

OTOH, you may have also missed it when I said "
Of course you can use whatever oil you want to in your bike." Use whatever oil you want to use. I could care less what you do with your bike. Just don't expect me, or anyone else for that matter, to agree with you when I don't.

Your first two posts on the forum are divisive and argumentative which makes me think
View attachment 1368

But maybe I'm wrong...

Boy are you out in left field... there's no need to be an axxhole about it. No-one said for you to use any oil other than what you want to use... we don't care either! And we sure as heck don't want you to expand your knowledge base and acknowledge that there is more than one way to skin a cat... stay comfortable in your ignorant bliss by all means.

What you were told about the Magnuson-Moss Act is correct, and the onus is on the manufacturer to prove that the oil used was the problem... not the other way around.

Joe... welcome to the forum, don't let one turd spoil the experience.

·
5,103 Posts
Boy are you out in left field... there's no need to be an axxhole about it. No-one said for you to use any oil other than what you want to use... we don't care either! And we sure as heck don't want you to expand your knowledge base and acknowledge that there is more than one way to skin a cat... stay comfortable in your ignorant bliss by all means.

What you were told about the Magnuson-Moss Act is correct, and the onus is on the manufacturer to prove that the oil used was the problem... not the other way around.

Joe... welcome to the forum, don't let one turd spoil the experience.
I felt my first reponse was sufficient to answer the question and saw the response with the !!! and the ??? as argumenative. Since this was the only two posts Joe made it irked me a bit.

However, I realize that sometimes the written word can be read out of context. If I was out in left field then I apologize to Joe as well as anyone else who gets offended :)

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you Skip.......and thank you to you too Goatlocker, I accept the apology. I certainly don't want to get off on the wrong foot here.

·
Registered
35 Posts
WOW, that was entertaining if nothing else. reading those posts i would have thought everybody was at the same bar and drinking a little too much. nobody on the forum gives others bad advice , only what they have done in the past that has worked for them and nobody should be offended by what the responses are even if they don't agree with them. What the heck i might as well give my two cents worth as i do not use anything but Amsoil products in my rides. if you do a oil comparison test on oils they rate amsoil oil right there on top and those tests are done by independent testers. Indian, Harley and all others want you to naturally buy their oil claiming it is the best for your bike but in reality they don't make their own oil, it is made by a oil company who probably gives them the cheapest price. I am sure any of the well known brands of syn oil would be fine for motorcycles but i am not going to compromise and take a chance so i buy the best of lubrications for the engine, tranny and clutch. No wars please , just my opinion and everybody is entitled to one and that's mine.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Ok guy's here the skinny on Amsoil. First of by them not me. Amsoil currently does not make a compatible oil for the 2014 Indians. They recommend an SM rated oil. Current Amsoil 10W40 Syn is only rated SJ. But my contacts at Amsoil are currently working on a 20W40 just for the Indian and Vic lines. So just hang on a little longer and we will have our wish.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Ok guy's here the skinny on Amsoil. First of by them not me. Amsoil currently does not make a compatible oil for the 2014 Indians. They recommend an SM rated oil. Current Amsoil 10W40 Syn is only rated SJ. But my contacts at Amsoil are currently working on a 20W40 just for the Indian and Vic lines. So just hang on a little longer and we will have our wish.
That's great news...I've been using Amsoil in my Triumphs for years...cars too

·
Founding Member
529 Posts
Could anyone tell me where the Amsoil refinery is?

·
2,354 Posts
Why would it surprise you that a manufacture recommends a product they sell? Why would you expect your dealer to recommend anything against what the manufacture recommends?
If you want a good laugh, read the section about washing your bike in a Harley Davidson owners manual. "Fill a Harley Davidson bucket [HD part number here] with water and Harley Davidson bike wash [HD part number here]. Using a Harley Davidson sponge [HD Part number here] ....

·
Registered
723 Posts
I had an "off the record" chat with a dealers service manager. He inquired about the whole oil thing with his Polaris representative. Bottom line... use a good grade of synthetic oil that is formulated for motorcycles and wet clutch applications. I walked into our neighborhood "big box" auto parts store and there was a rack of oil specifically for motorcycles away from all of the automotive oils. Mobile 1 synthetic for motorcycles (has the motorcycle outline on the front label) for $9.50 per quart. That got my attention. Later that day I went online to an Indian aftermarket parts manufacturer (Aeromach < Highway Hawk Aeromach | Motorcycle Handlebars, Seats & Motorcycle Accessories >). They are selling oil that they say is great for Victory and Indians at $7.50 a quart. My dealer is 87 miles away and the oil costs $11.80 per quart.

I am a firm believer in changing your oil regularly or earlier than the recommended 5,000 mile interval. This all gets confusing. I'm not a chemist. Nothing even close. So I went to the "big box" store and got the Mobile 1. Bike shifts the same, performs the same and makes no "out of the normal" noise, no explosions, no big bangs and no Polaris chemists running behind me wanting to test my oil. Wow. My life just got simple. I can save money and change my oil more often.

I bought a bag of the washers for the drain plugs from my dealer and I'm running the K&P oil filter. Just need oil I can buy locally instead of traveling over 80 miles to get. Life is good!

Reactions: JayFL459

·
Registered
497 Posts
Good Call Gypsy -- what size are the crush washers?

1 - 20 of 50 Posts