Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Early joiner
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, a hairline crack has somehow developed on my outer primary cover, oil has begun to weep through it while riding. Does anyone have ideas what I could coat the inside of my Primary cover with. I know old weeping harley cases used glyptal. There must be something better these days. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

·
Bronze member
2,702 Posts
Yes. Clean the area with a strong solvent to remove any oil, scuff up the inside area surrounding the crack, and coat liberally with JB Weld. See the video.

·
Early joiner
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes. Clean the area with a strong solvent to remove any oil, scuff up the inside area surrounding the crack, and coat liberally with JB Weld. See the video.
That

Thanks Tiger! What do you think about doing that procedure, but instead of marking up my Primary cover, grinding and applying JB weld to the crack inside of the primary cover?

·
Rider
879 Posts
Thanks Racepres! What are your thoughts on taking off the cover and applying it from the inside?
Absolutely... why look at it...
I have repaired Fuel tanks with fuel in them... one lasted 4 years
My Wfe swears by the stuff... using it for about any sealing job!!

·
Bronze member
2,702 Posts
That

Thanks Tiger! What do you think about doing that procedure, but instead of marking up my Primary cover, grinding and applying JB weld to the crack inside of the primary cover?
Yes, scuff up the crack on the inside of the primary...not the outside.

·
Bronze member
5,097 Posts
I've repaired a busted case on my old Suzuki GS1000. It had engine guards but the mounts turned out to be weak. On a slow gravel road one time a farm dog launched at my boot and hung on. I dropped the bike on the left side and the engine guard bent back and pushed into the stator housing. It cracked it badly and leaked oil all the way home.

I didn't take the cover off for an inside fix as I would have had to push out the damaged part with the risk of it cracking away, so I degreased and sanded the clear coat off the sunken area and filled it with metal epoxy on the outside. The repair lasted for years until I sold the bike, but the dull grey patch was evident to anyone with the motivation to go looking.

If there's a hairline crack the neatest fix would be on the inside. I'd grind a slight gap to give more surface area. I'd also go looking to see what made it crack as it might do it again. First place I'd look is whether the gasket surface is dead flat all around.

I've used Blue Hylomar for gasket sealing but I'm not sure if it could be rubbed deep into a hairline crack and expected to hold the seal long term. They say it's gap sealing, but I've taken that to mean when sealing gasket surfaces that are not perfectly matched. However, it's a much easier first attempt than pulling the cover etc.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts