Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter HERE for September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
61 - 73 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Twice I've spoken with corporate about the engine oil for my '17 RM. Both times I have been told - just this week by Tim in Parts - that the way forward is with the 15W/60 full synthetic. He even gave me the part numbers for both the old and new oil kits.

Problem is that the new part number hasn't made it through all of the systems yet. The dealers don't even have it in their system yet.

But I was assured that all 111's and 116's are recommended to use the new formulation.

The dealers typically have the newer oil, but it's usually in a scout kit (5 qt) or after market brand (amzoil?).
So give it up! What's the part number?

·
Registered
199 Posts
I just buy the 5 qt kit for the Challenger and then an extra quart. Simple.
I just go to the dealership make Appt. let them do it. No problems. $178 and I'm back on the road. Having been a Tech for yrs I really appreciate the service I get, and if everyone changes their oil, well there won't be a service dept. for long.
Good Techs are hard to keep & find, and I have found a good one.
WD

·
Registered
27 Posts
@WillieD … that’s the company I’m using …

For other folks … here’s a Team Tip that talks about the increased capacity of the ‘19 crankcase. Under the heading Viscosity is says 15w60 is approved for all Indian motorcycles…
View attachment 699714

View attachment 699715
Thanks for posting this! I keep having issues with my gear position switch. Unfortunately, I can see I'm screwed because I bet the mid '19 crankcase change was to accommodate that new gear position sensor. And I have an early one. Bastards!!

·
Premium Member
1,540 Posts
I run 10W50 full synthetic for cold starting and I have no issues with it and I get it cheaper than the Indian oil. Oil analysis data shows that it is working just as well or better than the standard oil.

·
Bronze member
1,959 Posts
I run 10W50 full synthetic for cold starting and I have no issues with it and I get it cheaper than the Indian oil. Oil analysis data shows that it is working just as well or better than the standard oil.
Specifically what oil r u running?

·
Registered
26 Posts
This part # took me to Indian's web site and showed me Item # 2889311 - 20w 40 oil kit.
Ok I checked it out, and know what you saw. As I mentioned in an earlier post, not all Indian dealer/corporate systems have been updated with the new part number(s) apparently. My dealer couldn't find this anywhere in his system either. So when you go up to the website and search on part number, it doesn't find anything, which tells you that the website hasn't been updated yet either, probably because it is tied to the internal parts system which hasn't been updated.

So the website by default will throw out the 20/40 oil kit on the search as an alternative, not as a matching part #.

61 - 73 of 73 Posts