Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of August's Ride of the Month Challenge!
41 - 60 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
I didn’t want to start another oil thread … ‘14 Vintage…5.5 qt capacity … I just changed my oil yesterday. Today, I took the K&N air filter out to inspect and clean it and there was about 1/2 oz of oil in the cover plus whatever else was absorbed by the air filter. It was clean oil. I do use a K&P reusable filter, which I believe is less volume than a regular disposable filter. I have an oil cooler, but I don’t believe it’s a factor. I’m considering only adding 5.25 qts on the next oil change. To see if I still get the over flow. Has anyone else had an overflow issue and under filled to see if it made a difference?
Could be that you are not getting all the old oil out which would put you at over 5.5 qts.

·
Rider
'17 Springfield, '20 Chieftain
1,926 Posts
I’m changing the oil on a center stand. Not the side stand. So maybe I’m not… I’ll try the side stand next time …
You should be fine. I always change mine vertical with the front wheel supported in a wheel chock. The SM also indicates supporting the bike in an upright (vertical) position.

Reactions: EvilMonkey

·
Registered
2014 Chief Vintage
984 Posts
I started using Amsoil in my Victory and have carried it on through to my Indians...I swear by their synthetic for the 111
View attachment 699837
Using whatever your favorite brand … Try the 15w60 … Smoother shifting is the only benefit I’ve noticed from switching to the 15w60. I’ve used Indian 20w40 semi synthetic, Indian 15w60 full synthetic, Klotz 20w40 full synthetic and just 2 days ago Klotz 15w60 full synthetic.

With both 20w40’s the first shift of the day from 1st to 2nd was stiff and clunky… I thought the Klotz 20w40 full synthetic would shift smoother but it was the same as the Indian semi synthetic. But, I guess, it’s the Viscosity that makes a difference. Now with the Klotz 15w60, that first shift of the day is smooth again. No slipping in higher gears. My clutch is adjusted properly. I ride around a 1000 miles a month, year round. So I’m changing my oil every 5-7 months.

… just sharing my experience, YMMV, run whatever brand/viscosity you like.

September 17, 2019 Indian put out a Team Tip that includes this statement…

“ENGINE OIL - VISCOSITY:
Indian Motorcycle engineering has validated the use of 15W60 oil across MY14+ 111 & 116 C.I. engine platforms. The use of 15W60 has been shown to improve cold-start performance and cold-weather shifting.”

·
Rider
1,926 Posts
Any issue with oil in the air filter?
I occassionally will see a little amber mist from the oil, and have detected enough to form a drip on the inside of the AC, but never really any more than that. That is for my 5.5 qt '17 SF w/o oil cooler, or my 6 qt '20 Chieftain w/oil cooler. I have only used either Indian or Wix oil filters. Never used a cleanable filter. However, other than filter volume, I am not sure what difference that would make.

·
Bronze member
2,018 Posts
Validated? LOL Some of us "validated" all sorts of different viscosities on our own!!!

On my Challenger I am finding the 50wt oils (Motorex, Belray, Liqui Moly) better for shifting and the oil lite goes off much quicker than the 60wt.

60wt on a liquid cooled hi-rpm engine is not needed. I compared main and rod bearing clearance, rod side clearances along with piston to cyl clearances and find NO differences between the TSIII and the PP108 that would necessitate such a high viscosity in the 108. I did like the 60 in my TS111.

Thats my validation and I'm sticking with it. LOL

RACNRAY

·
Registered
2014 Chief Vintage
984 Posts
Validated? LOL Some of us "validated" all sorts of different viscosities on our own!!!

On my Challenger I am finding the 50wt oils (Motorex, Belray, Liqui Moly) better for shifting and the oil lite goes off much quicker than the 60wt.

60wt on a liquid cooled hi-rpm engine is not needed. I compared main and rod bearing clearance, rod side clearances along with piston to cyl clearances and find NO differences between the TSIII and the PP108 that would necessitate such a high viscosity in the 108. I did like the 60 in my TS111.

Thats my validation and I'm sticking with it. LOL

RACNRAY
That’s from Indian … not me 😬

Font Parallel Screenshot Number Rectangle

Font Material property Camera Screenshot Parallel

·
Bronze member
2,018 Posts

·
Premium Member
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
I understand that Indian recommends the synthetic blend they offer with the option of going full synthetic. With that being said. When I took my 17 Chief and 19 Chieftain in for the 500 mile service they used the full synthetic. At least that’s what they said. I’ve always been told that once you go full synthetic you should stay with full synthetic. I’m no expert on oil so I’m just trying to make sure I have no issues in the future.

·
Bronze member
2,018 Posts
The phrase " once you go full synthetic you should stay with full synthetic" is absolutely B.S.!! It is ABSOLUTELY shameful there are still these assbackwards old wives tales still bein told.

Thats like lloyd saying his cams don't break valve springs...LMFAO!!!

RACNRAY

·
Registered
2017 Chieftain Limited, 2022 Chief Bobber Dark Horse
359 Posts
Good to see Klotz oil mentioned in another "thread-worn", overly posted oil thread. I guess every new owner wants to know what other owners are using on their bikes. For me, it's always interesting to read what other owners are using as well. The info about 15w-60 is news to me. The last oil change on my Chieftain, I used 20-50w, and found the start-up shifting to be a bit rough, with neutral tough to locate. With the colder months coming up, I want to go to a lighter viscosity, however,the 15/60w seems like another difficult weight oil to locate, as if 20w-40 isn't rare enough when trying to find it locally. I ended up ordering 12 qts from IndianOnly, along with a couple of filters and other misc. stuff. Their filter price for two is less than what the dealer wants for one. Doing the maintenance on both the Chieftain and Chief. Here's the link to the filters. This is a great website for aftermarket stuff. I'm pretty much done with my 2017 Chieftain Limited, but there are replacement side bag lock mechanisms that I would consider ordering if they weren't $300 for the set.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Good to see Klotz oil mentioned in another "thread-worn", overly posted oil thread. I guess every new owner wants to know what other owners are using on their bikes. For me, it's always interesting to read what other owners are using as well. The info about 15w-60 is news to me. The last oil change on my Chieftain, I used 20-50w, and found the start-up shifting to be a bit rough, with neutral tough to locate. With the colder months coming up, I want to go to a lighter viscosity, however,the 15/60w seems like another difficult weight oil to locate, as if 20w-40 isn't rare enough when trying to find it locally. I ended up ordering 12 qts from IndianOnly, along with a couple of filters and other misc. stuff. Their filter price for two is less than what the dealer wants for one. Doing the maintenance on both the Chieftain and Chief. Here's the link to the filters. This is a great website for aftermarket stuff. I'm pretty much done with my 2017 Chieftain Limited, but there are replacement side bag lock mechanisms that I would consider ordering if they weren't $300 for the set.

Went out to Indian Only. They wanted $13 to ship a couple drain plugs. No thanks.

·
Premium Member
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
The phrase " once you go full synthetic you should stay with full synthetic" is absolutely B.S.!! It is ABSOLUTELY shameful there are still these assbackwards old wives tales still bein told.

Thats like lloyd saying his cams don't break valve springs...LMFAO!!!

RACNRAY
Sorry to be so misinformed. I’ll try harder to live up to your expectations in the future. 🙄

·
Bronze member
2,018 Posts
Sorry to be so misinformed. I’ll try harder to live up to your expectations in the future. 🙄
ABSOLUTELY DO NOT take offense to my werds as it was meant to expose those "experts" that disseminatee false and misleading info...NOT YOU.

RACNRAY

·
Registered
2020 Titanium Smoke Chieftain
21 Posts
I understand that Indian recommends the synthetic blend they offer with the option of going full synthetic. With that being said. When I took my 17 Chief and 19 Chieftain in for the 500 mile service they used the full synthetic. At least that’s what they said. I’ve always been told that once you go full synthetic you should stay with full synthetic. I’m no expert on oil so I’m just trying to make sure I have no issues in the future.
That do not switch info started years ago when sometime switching to full syn in high mileage auto engines did in fact develop some leaks but that was do to inferior oil that had been used previous. It could gum up over seals and then they would dry out but the gummy oil acted like a new seal so no issue was detected until it was dissolved by the syn and then it would leak. Most full synthetics have seal conditioner additives to help the old seal start working properly so some small leaks ended fixing themselves over time

·
Premium Member
1,458 Posts
And new conventional oils are a lot closer to synthetics these days than they are different. Engines are made so much better with better tolerances and materials than they used to be. I would say it would be an issue in 1975 but today you won't have a problem.

·
Silver member
5,852 Posts
I've run Mobil 1 20/50 in all my Harleys and then in my '15 Vintage. Butt, did my last oil change about a month ago and went with the Indian 15-60.

Seat of the pantz dyno says I gained about 30-40 HP with the Indian oil. Other than that, no changes.

·
Rider
1,926 Posts
I've run Mobil 1 20/50 in all my Harleys and then in my '15 Vintage. Butt, did my last oil change about a month ago and went with the Indian 15-60.

Seat of the pantz dyno says I gained about 30-40 HP with the Indian oil. Other than that, no changes.
Don't forget to mention that you gained 10-12 MPG too.

41 - 60 of 65 Posts