Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of August's Ride of the Month Challenge!
21 - 40 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
I use Mobile 1 15w50 oil. I've used it in my Gilroy Indians and now my Polaris Indians. It doesn't say motorcycle on it so it's helluva lot cheaper, but just as good.
In Gilroy Indian, you have engine oil in the engine (you can use automotive oil), primary oil in the primary(clutch), and gearbox oil in the gearbox,
but in Polaris Indian, you have one oil for the engine, clutch, and gearbox, so it needs to be MC oil.

·
Registered
2022 Springfield Crimson Red
323 Posts
Lubtech is only a distributor of Mobil lubricants. They are not the blender. Mobil has several blending plants around the world blending their lubricants and making greases. The Polaris Indian lubes are up for bid every so often. Whoever can blend a quality finished lubricant will bottle the Indian/Polaris lubes.
Not correct. Mobil has several refineries around the world but Lubtech Blends,Packages and distributes the oils. Has been for many years.

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
Not correct. Mobil has several refineries around the world but Lubtech Blends,Packages and distributes the oils. Has been for many years.
Yeah okay. I've stood in several of the Mobil blending plants that were blending and packaging Mobil branded and the Private Label Mobil products such as GM's AC Delco, Porsche, Toyota & Mercedes Benz. It is possible that there's a Lubtech location doing it but I've never seen it.

·
Registered
321 Posts
In Gilroy Indian, you have engine oil in the engine (you can use automotive oil), primary oil in the primary(clutch), and gearbox oil in the gearbox,
but in Polaris Indian, you have one oil for the engine, clutch, and gearbox, so it needs to be MC oil.
Really, so you're saying this doesn't work. You shouldn't use this. You should by the Indian oil at 100 bucks plus, or better yet have Indian change your oil just to be safe.

But, I'm gonna keep using the Mobil 1 15w50.

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
Really, so you're saying this doesn't work. You shouldn't use this. You should by the Indian oil at 100 bucks plus, or better yet have Indian change your oil just to be safe.

I don't think that's what they are saying. The Gilroy can use automotive engine oil since it has 3 separate componed that you can put a specific fluid in each one. A lot of MC's including the current models use the same sump (compartment) to lubricate the engine, clutch and gearbox (transmission) You do need an oil that is designed for use with wet clutches due to using different friction modifiers.

·
Registered
2014 Chief Vintage
984 Posts

Run whatever oil you like … However, bikes with a wet clutch need JASO MA, MA1 or MA2 rated oil. Regardless of brand that oil is more expensive. It’s processed in smaller batches. I’m using Klotz 15w60 and it’s around $20 a quart …

Here’s a better explanation of the JASO rating …

I would be interested to see results from an oil test. I’m going to change my oil this week and will be sending a sample to the lab for testing. I’ll post the results when I get them.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Run whatever oil you like … However, bikes with a wet clutch need JASO MA, MA1 or MA2 rated oil. Regardless of brand that oil is more expensive. It’s processed in smaller batches. I’m using Klotz 15w60 and it’s around $20 a quart …

I would be interested to see results from an oil test. I’m going to change my oil this week and will be sending a sample to the lab for testing. I’ll post the results when I get them.
50 weight oils don't get friction modifiers that would cause clutch slipping issues. The clutch in my 2014 Vintage never slipped. The clutch in my 2016 Roadmaster never slipped. The clutch in my 2016 Springfield has never slipped.

I pay 25 bucks for 5 quarts. It's probably not as good as $20 a quart oil, right. But, I'm gonna keep using it.

·
Rider
'17 Springfield, '20 Chieftain
1,926 Posts
So I'm seeing 2 different Wix numbers in this thread. 51356 and 51358. Which is the correct one?
Either # will work. The 51358 is the same length as the Indian filter. The 51356 is a little longer and gives a wee bit more filter media, but does stick out away from the engine further. I use the 51358 because of that reason.

Reactions: THOR504

·
Registered
52 Posts
I went onto the Indian website to check the price of their oil change kits. Now they don't list a 15/60 full synthetic kit for my 19 Chieftain or my 22 Springfield. All they list for them is 20/40 semi synthetic. So what's up with that?
I have a ‘19 Limited with a stage 3 BBK. So it went from 20w40 to 15w60 with the upgrade. My service manager has said there isn’t a “kit” per say for that. So he just packages up the 6 quarts of 15w60, a filter, & the replacement washers for me for about $100. Yeah, I know everyone uses whatever oil they want. Hell, I use Amsoil in my VRod. This is just easier & quicker for me to get when I need to change the oil, as I change it often because I rent out my Chieftain. Hope that answers your original question. 😊

·
Registered
2014 Chief Vintage
984 Posts
I didn’t want to start another oil thread … ‘14 Vintage…5.5 qt capacity … I just changed my oil yesterday. Today, I took the K&N air filter out to inspect and clean it and there was about 1/2 oz of oil in the cover plus whatever else was absorbed by the air filter. It was clean oil. I do use a K&P reusable filter, which I believe is less volume than a regular disposable filter. I have an oil cooler, but I don’t believe it’s a factor. I’m considering only adding 5.25 qts on the next oil change. To see if I still get the over flow. Has anyone else had an overflow issue and under filled to see if it made a difference?

·
Registered
203 Posts

Blackstone in Ft. Wayne Indiana is on of the best.

Reactions: EvilMonkey

·
Registered
17 Posts
I went onto the Indian website to check the price of their oil change kits. Now they don't list a 15/60 full synthetic kit for my 19 Chieftain or my 22 Springfield. All they list for them is 20/40 semi synthetic. So what's up with that?
The 111 Thunderstroke specification from Indian is a specific semi synthetic oil. Indeed it's a very high specification oil for a big air cooled engine. It is a myth that synthetic oil is better than semi synthetic. Why ? Because it's the wrong argument. Engines transmissions etc etc require lubricants that meet specific criteria. It is why there are so many different oils because the requirements of different machines can and often are very different. I only run genuine Indian Oil in my Indian and Indian filters. Oil is cheap. Engines are very expensive. So I change my oil pretty frequently as well.
If your happy to accept the risk even though you are not an Indian engineer and a qualified oil expert then that is of course your decision.

·
Bronze member
5,477 Posts
The 111 Thunderstroke specification from Indian is a specific semi synthetic oil. Indeed it's a very high specification oil for a big air cooled engine. It is a myth that synthetic oil is better than semi synthetic. Why ? Because it's the wrong argument. Engines transmissions etc etc require lubricants that meet specific criteria. It is why there are so many different oils because the requirements of different machines can and often are very different. I only run genuine Indian Oil in my Indian and Indian filters. Oil is cheap. Engines are very expensive. So I change my oil pretty frequently as well.
If your happy to accept the risk even though you are not an Indian engineer and a qualified oil expert then that is of course your decision.

The 111 was originally specked for semi synthetic. But full synthetic can be used right from the horses mouth.

What are the advantages of using Indian Motorcycle Full Synthetic 15W60 vs Indian Motorcycle Semi-Synthetic 20W40 in my engine?
Both engine oils contain our proprietary API SN additive technology, which is designed to significantly reduce engine component wear and to extend storage protection from rust and corrosion. Both oils also contain customized clutch additives, which provide fade-free operation throughout the life of the oil.

The 20W40 is the same semi-synthetic oil used in factory fill. It is extremely shear resistant because of its narrower viscosity range.

Our Full Synthetic 15W60 uses the highest quality synthetic PAO-based stocks to reduce oil shear caused by high heat and stress, while extending the oil change interval in our high performance Scout engine to 10,000 miles. Other models using 15W60 models should still have their oil changed every 5,000 miles. The initial 15W, or winter weight of the oil, lends to easier startups and instant oil flow and lubrication in cooler ambient temperatures. The 60W end viscosity offers extremely high thermal stability protection and smooths shifting under heavy loads and high heat conditions.

The Full Synthetic 15W60 oil can be used in all Indian Motorcycle engines and models.
It is the recommended oil for use in Scout models.

Is Synthetic Oil Better? | Indian Motorcycle

21 - 40 of 65 Posts