Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter HERE for September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Premium Member
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went onto the Indian website to check the price of their oil change kits. Now they don't list a 15/60 full synthetic kit for my 19 Chieftain or my 22 Springfield. All they list for them is 20/40 semi synthetic. So what's up with that?

·
Bronze member
5,711 Posts
I went onto the Indian website to check the price of their oil change kits. Now they don't list a 15/60 full synthetic kit for my 19 Chieftain or my 22 Springfield. All they list for them is 20/40 semi synthetic. So what's up with that?

They never have listed the 15w60 for the 111 /116 bikes. However, several years ago, engineering concluded that 15W60 works in all the Polaris bikes.

·
Bronze member
1,402 Posts
The 111/116 use the 20/40 semi synthetic oil kit. The kit contains 5.5 quarts of oil, 2 copper drain plug crush washers, and 1 oil filter. Later model 111/116 engines require 6.0 quarts so you need to pick up a extra quart.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Twice I've spoken with corporate about the engine oil for my '17 RM. Both times I have been told - just this week by Tim in Parts - that the way forward is with the 15W/60 full synthetic. He even gave me the part numbers for both the old and new oil kits.

Problem is that the new part number hasn't made it through all of the systems yet. The dealers don't even have it in their system yet.

But I was assured that all 111's and 116's are recommended to use the new formulation.

The dealers typically have the newer oil, but it's usually in a scout kit (5 qt) or after market brand (amzoil?).

·
Rider
'17 Springfield, '20 Chieftain
1,850 Posts
And just what is the price tag on this new and amazing OIL AND FILTER KIT that Polaris in now selling and recommending for the Indian motorcycles???? Curious minds wanna know!! lol Thank you !!
Dave!!!
$92 for a 4 quart kit and then $20 per quart for additional qt's. So $132 for a 6qt 111/116 oil change. I think I will stick with my Castrol full synthetic Power RS V-Twin 20W50. I get a case from Amazon in the $50's if you time it right and get a Wix 51358 for $10 or less. So I can do 2 oil changes for less than 1/2 the price of 1 with the Indian oil. Oh No, I don't want to start an oil debate !!!!

·
Registered
2022 Springfield Crimson Red
420 Posts
Indian and Mobil oil are made from the same company. Lubtech takes a raw product and creates a vendor oil based on the fomula given them by the vendor. However the additives must be correct ot have a JASO certification. If you use oil not formulated for a motorcycle, particulary an Indian, you risk damage to the engine, simple as that. Your bike, your risk.

·
Premium Member
273 Posts
Indian and Mobil oil are made from the same company. Lubtech takes a raw product and creates a vendor oil based on the fomula given them by the vendor. However the additives must be correct ot have a JASO certification. If you use oil not formulated for a motorcycle, particulary an Indian, you risk damage to the engine, simple as that. Your bike, your risk.
Lubtech is only a distributor of Mobil lubricants. They are not the blender. Mobil has several blending plants around the world blending their lubricants and making greases. The Polaris Indian lubes are up for bid every so often. Whoever can blend a quality finished lubricant will bottle the Indian/Polaris lubes.

Reactions: WillieD

·
Bronze member
2,365 Posts
Lubtech is only a distributor of Mobil lubricants. They are not the blender. Mobil has several blending plants around the world blending their lubricants and making greases. The Polaris Indian lubes are up for bid every so often. Whoever can blend a quality finished lubricant the cheapest will bottle the Indian/Polaris lubes.
FIFY. They all do it.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts