Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Several weeks ago there was much discussion about the new TS models having a 6 qt oil specification, rather than the 5.5 quarts the earlier models specified. There was discussion about whether the engine changed, or just the spec. I'm getting ready to do my first oil change on my new to me 17 RM w/116 BBK.. It seems that 6 quarts would absorb and bleed off more heat than 5.5 quarts, so my question is whether a 17 RM is ok with 6 quarts, or if I should stick to 5.5? I'm also thinking of using the NAPA Gold 1356 oil filter, which apparently is 1/2 inch longer than the standard one. It appears that would add a slight amount of additional capacity as well.

Not sure if it really makes much difference as far as heat goes, but thought I'd run it by the experts here.

·
Silver member
5,505 Posts
Oh btw, to add to this, a big bore kit doesn't automatically mean it's running hotter. At the same speed the bike still requires the same amount of energy to move forward. That's just physics. Unless of course you're really using that extra power all the time. A decent tune could actually make it run cooler than a bog stock bike.

And the fact that the engine feels hot (I know TS engines do, that's been widely documented on this forum), could actually mean it's good at shedding heat off. It has to go somewhere...although your ass and or legs will disagree.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I use 5.25 oil in my '17 RM. I use the Indian filter. All seems to work. IF you overfill?? EXPECT oil to puke out your air filter @ higher RPMs

·
Bronze member
3,102 Posts
Since owning this machine,and IMO [for what that's worth,lol] the motor sounded alittle noisier,atleast to me, then I thought it should sound,almost like it was alittle low on oil,even after reaching operating temperature,and it did have the factories recommended oil in it and the correct amount of 5 1/2 qts. So,as alittle experiment,[which is how we learn] ,I switched to 20W50 Dino oil which quieted it down substantially,[I did the same thing on my last bike which also called for the Synthetic stuff] but still not what I was looking for.So I added another 4 oz. of oil to the recommended 5 1/2 qts. [meaning it now has 5 3/4 qts of oil in it.] and it appears to be doing the trick as it is now a lot quieter.Plus,I figured,win lose or draw,another 4 oz. ain't really gonna hurt it,even if it did NOT do the trick.And I ALWAYS allow the motor to run for 5 or 6 minutes before driving off [especially when the motor is cold] to make sure the oil gets to where it needs to get to.
Anyways,my little experiment appears to be paying me dividends. (y)

·
Registered
309 Posts
Changing oil to 20W 50 will quieter the motor but better in the end. The machined tolerances for your engine require a 15W 50. Only when motor is well worn should compensation be made by 20W50. In cold climates thicker oil causes more wear and tear on motor. I changed to a Mobil race oil and that works well, keeping mind I like in a tropical climate over36 deg C every day.
Food for thought

·
Registered
309 Posts
Changing oil to 20W 50 will quieter the motor but not better in the end. The machined tolerances for your engine require a 15W 50. Only when motor is well worn should compensation be made by 20W50. In cold climates thicker oil causes more wear and tear on motor. I changed to a Mobil race oil and that works well, keeping mind I like in a tropical climate over36 deg C every day.
Food for thought

·
Bronze member
3,102 Posts
The factory recommends a 20W40 weight, [per the Owners' manual] not a 15W50 weight.What those numbers mean is ,when the oil is cold,it's supposed to be a 20 weight,hence when it gets hot,then it's supposed to be 40 weight.So by using a 20W50,verses the 20W40,the only difference is,when the motor reaches its' running temp,it is now equal to a 50 weight verses the 40 weight,so on hot days,especially when in traffic,and because I'm using a 50 weight,my motor ,[and I've done this on past machines too] run a lot quieter hence less internal component wear is minimal .

·
Registered
1 Posts
Stick to the 5.5 qts. with a filter change . You won't have the hot oil smell at speed and you won't have to clean your air filter afterwards.

·
Bronze member
3,102 Posts
I don't have any HOT OIL SMELL,nor have I ever had to clean any oil residue from my air filter,only alittle road dust.But,if you ARE seeing oil residue in the air filter,THEN,I agree, ya definitely have too much oil in the crankcase.

·
Registered
313 Posts
This 19 Roadmaster is my second Indian, I’ve always changed my own oil and always used the recommended 5.5qts however I’ve done 2 oil changes on my 19 and found I barely get any reading on the stick using 5.5qts. My last change I slowly added oil ran it a few miles to make sure it was up to temp and rechecked and found it finally came close to the lower mark after putting in 6qts. I’ve run 2000+ miles since and haven’t noticed any oil in the air filter. These aren’t the easiest bikes to get a good reading on so I make sure it’s up to temp.

·
Bronze member
3,102 Posts
Indian does kinda use a strange technique to check the oil in these machines.So what I have learned to do thru trial and error is,COLD MOTOR,set the bike as straight as possible,[without tipping it over,lol,] by placing the side stand on a small piece of 2X4 wood, then check it.When I see the level at half full or a tad above the half full mark on the dip stick, the oil level is correct!! How did I discover this??? Cause I put in the required 5 1/2 qts.,ran it for ten mionutes or so,let it set for another ten minutes or so, then checked the level using my procedure and that's what showed on the dip stick.Plus,there are no oil leaks,no oil in my air filter or it's housing,and the best part, no engine noise! lol And she's now pushin 37,000 miles! So I must be doing somethin right "for a change" !!! lol lol

·
Registered
409 Posts
This 19 Roadmaster is my second Indian, I’ve always changed my own oil and always used the recommended 5.5qts however I’ve done 2 oil changes on my 19 and found I barely get any reading on the stick using 5.5qts. My last change I slowly added oil ran it a few miles to make sure it was up to temp and rechecked and found it finally came close to the lower mark after putting in 6qts. I’ve run 2000+ miles since and haven’t noticed any oil in the air filter. These aren’t the easiest bikes to get a good reading on so I make sure it’s up to temp.
Later 2019 model year Indian 111 cu/in engines take 6 quarts. Not sure what engine your bike has but check.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Amazing how people will buy something because they feel its manufacturer did a great job, yet do not trust them when it comes to maintaining it. :D

·
Bronze member
3,102 Posts
How many times have ya bought a new car,motorcycle,lawn mower,snow blower,etc.,or taken something to a shop for repair,got it home,only to discover something was still wrong with it?? It's happened to me!! The difference being,I can fix it ,and then,go back to the place I got it from,or brought it to, and read em the riot act.lol lol And believe me,I've done just that. (y) (y)I mean,ya pay good money for a product or a service,but didn't get what ya paid for???

·
Registered
313 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
I've got the 111 in the 19 Roadmaster and the manual still says 5.5 qts but barely shows on dipstick
If it was built after February 2019 it takes 6 quarts. My manual says 5.5 also. The Indian website says it takes 6. The link I posted explains it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts