Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Scout Sixty Bobber
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm seriously sick to my stomach right now. Bought a new Sixty rode it home 150 plus miles to wake up and seeing an oil leak. I have a bad oil pressure switch and can't even ride my new bike. I have it scheduled for a fix next week and see that the part is going to be a few weeks out. My dealer is far from home and honestly don't want to make the trip back and forth a handful of times.

What to do:

Do I buy the part and take it with me or do I let it set at the dealer for weeks to wait for the part to come in and get fixed? I don't want to be a jerk and tell them to order it now so its there when I take it in for the warranty so I can finally ride my bike other than trips to the dealer. It sucks because I don't want to burn any bridges because they're super awesome where I purchased the bike but want them to understand that its taking time out of my life and how bad I want to be out ridding.

Any suggestions on how I should handle this?

·
Registered
2021 Scout Sixty Bobber
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've had my 2021 Sixty for a week with 200 miles on it. The next day after bringing it home from the dealer thats 145 miles from home (yup, I rode it home from Los Angeles 😁). I woke up the next day to see a huge oil leak. Told the dealer and have it scheduled for warranty this weekend for a failure at the oil pressure switch.

Well, I'm not one to sit around and wait and after doing the math it's actually cheaper for me to buy the part myself than to ride 2 hours (gas and food). So I removed the the switch and found a large section missing from it! Horrible QC for sure. I have no problem wrenching on my new bike at all. Just sucks seeing my beautiful bike just sit there begging for a ride. Calling the dealer tomorrow to tell them what's going on and will see if they can just ship me the new part under warranty. If not oh well.... Just don't feel safe with it pushing out 3/4 of a quart of oil in the 145 mile trip.

I did post about the oil leak and asking what I should do last week. Just thought I'd share the defective part with everyone.

·
Registered
2021 Scout Sixty Bobber
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Humans are imperfect , therefore what we create in likewise. I believe everyone can do better and should. Glad you caught the error and can wrench it yourself. Enjoy your ride.
Thanks you and glad I caught it too. I'm not too upset about the oil leak. Just sad tha I haven't got to enjoy the bike much. I absolutely love the Scout Sixty and happy with the purchase. Can't wait to get out there and ride it.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Why do people feel the need to run to social media and air all their grievances??

There was a time when men and women just dealt with stuff and moved on.

So, a little plastic part got bumped in a hard to see area.

It happens.

Really glad you took the reins and were able to fix the problem.

Indian makes GREAT bike. I've had em all and these are the best pieces of American Iron.

If you want perfection, buy a Yamaha, lol. Indian is right there making a long lasting excellent machine to be proud to own.

There are no QC issues with Indian. Been here a while.

·
Drag me down and let me burn forever!
2016 Chief DH Stage II
773 Posts
Why do people feel the need to run to social media and air all their grievances??

There was a time when men and women just dealt with stuff and moved on.

So, a little plastic part got bumped in a hard to see area.

It happens.

Really glad you took the reins and were able to fix the problem.

Indian makes GREAT bike. I've had em all and these are the best pieces of American Iron.

If you want perfection, buy a Yamaha, lol. Indian is right there making a long lasting excellent machine to be proud to own.

There are no QC issues with Indian. Been here a while.
yeah, i agree with this. shit happens, dude.
i'd be ashamed to admit getting worked up over such an insignificant and honest, singular miss.

·
Bronze member
2,662 Posts
IM buys millions of parts yearly. There’s a chance one may not be perfect. I bought a BMW Z4 that had to have to entire dash replaced due to a manufacturing imperfection. Things happen.

·
Registered
2021 Scout Sixty Bobber
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I definitely agree that things happen, don't get me started on my last bike.... I'm definitely not complaining or upset about this. I buy motorcycles knowing and loving the fact that I will fix everything myself. I can see how this might have came off the wrong way, but definitely not crying about it. I am crying about not getting to ride, hahahaha. Things break, factory parts will fail thats how it goes.

·
Registered
2017 Indian Scout Sixty
381 Posts
It does suck. But once you get this little hiccup out of the way you'll be having a great time racking up some serious miles on that Sixty! Enjoy!!

·
Registered
2021 Scout Sixty Bobber
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I
It does suck. But once you get this little hiccup out of the way you'll be having a great time racking up some serious miles on that Sixty! Enjoy!!
I can't wait to get those miles up! I absolutely enjoyed the two hour ride home on it. It was hard to judge the seat, I hear it's bad but my butt was so sore from riding my 690 Duke there for a trade in. It performed amazing and it split lanes (legal out here in California) just like my Duke did. Great bike and happy with the purchase. Just waiting on the part and the wait is helping with modifying things.

·
Registered
2012 Indian Chief Vintage . 2016 Indian Roadmaster
657 Posts
yeah, i agree with this. shit happens, dude.
i'd be ashamed to admit getting worked up over such an insignificant and honest, singular miss.
Gee my wife's X-7 window got stuck, BMW is really slipping! (they towed it to the closest dealer 6 hours away and fixed it).

·
Founding Member / Distinguished
4,445 Posts
I think the OP was just saying that the person who installed it was responsible for checking the part before installing it. I would be willing to bet that the work instructions for that station says inspect parts before installing.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2021 Scout Sixty Bobber
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Hahahaha, now who's really complaining....

Also, you know what they say when you assume??? I'm way too old to be part of "this" generation.

I honestly didn't think posting something that might help someone out would cause such drama... I guess it must be an old generation thing, trying to stay relevant in these new days of the social media.

·
Registered
2021 Scout Sixty Bobber
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I think the OP was just saying that the person who installed it was responsible for checking the part before installing it. I would be willing to bet that the work instructions for that station says inspect parts before installing.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
Thank you, I appreciate some people understanding my post.

I'm not pointing fingers or playing the blame game stuff happens. I rode it home 150 plus miles with it leaking oil, almost a quart. I was just bummed that a new bike would have a failure that soon.

To be honest I wouldn't mind if a new motorcycle purchase had 10 or 20 miles on it as part of a test ride inspection. I would appreciate them taking the time to do that to insure that the bike was in good working order.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts