Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have changed oil over the weekend- first time by myself. All went smooth as per procedure...
I’ve noticed that new oil level is just 1/4” above ADD line.
I would expect to have new oil level at least in the middle between marks...
I’ve emptied all containers from Indian oil kit.

Have you came across the same issue during the oil change?

·
Silver member
5,016 Posts
There are nemerous threads regarding the 111 oil change and oil level, and the several ways members use periotically to check the 111 oil level. Don't sweat it. As long as you used the entire change kit you are good to go. Do a search on the subject and you'll probably see about thousand posts on the subject.

·
Rider
1,298 Posts
If you drained out 5.5 quarts, changed the oil filter, put in 5.5 quarts, then you are good to go. Don’t worry about the dipstick.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This is exactly what I did, but there are sometime second thoughts.
Thanks for the replies; and I will look for similar posts just to go deeper into the issue

·
Bronze member
2,837 Posts
This is exactly what I did, but there are sometime second thoughts.
Thanks for the replies; and I will look for similar posts just to go deeper into the issue
It’s that way on the 111s and I guess on the 116s too. Not a very accurate system. Since these bikes don’t use oil at all, I never check between oil changes. Probably the most accurate check would be after you come back from a ride, and not after the bike has idled for a few min as the manual suggests.

·
Bronze member
5,097 Posts
There are nemerous threads regarding the 111 oil change and oil level, and the several ways members use periotically to check the 111 oil level. Don't sweat it. As long as you used the entire change kit you are good to go. Do a search on the subject and you'll probably see about thousand posts on the subject.
This is the pictorial version of what WillyH said. :)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've used Indian Oil kit for 111 engine in 2017 Chieftain - the one I have. In the kit there is 5.5 quarts of oil.
Perhaps 6 qts is for 116s...

·
Registered
432 Posts
"Vehicles built February 2019 or later are equipped with a 6.0 quart engine. They feature a longer dipstick, which does not show a silver ring on the crankcase when installed."

1 - 10 of 10 Posts