Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this has been discussed in the past but it’s really frustrating. Change oil exactly like book says, put in the 5.5 qts. book says, ride a few miles to warm up like the book says, then check oil. It’s on the ADD MARK!

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
;) Don't. Scroll to the bottom of the page and check out the "Recommended Reading" list there for a list of posts discussing this, that you say you know has been discussed in the past. I would ask, if you have already read those posts, why did you start another oil level thread?:p

·
Registered
221 Posts
I know this has been discussed in the past but it’s really frustrating. Change oil exactly like book says, put in the 5.5 qts. book says, ride a few miles to warm up like the book says, then check oil. It’s on the ADD MARK!
Just live with 5.5 its always been tough getting an accurate reading, you add to where its good it will tell you to add more the next time,and the next time,and the next time then before you know it your bike stalls mysteriously in traffic,starts fine then keeps doing it, so rule of thumb check the air filter only to find all the extra oil you added has gone out the over flow and saturated the darn thing with oil, no biggie but now you gotta pay for a new filter, lol speaking from experience, live and learn.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

·
Bronze member
3,566 Posts
When I check my oil, I do it when the motor is COLD from setting overnight,with the bike parked as straight or as level as possible [without tipping it over :eek: ] and it was always right on the low or add oil mark.So what I do now after changing my oil is,add an extra 5 or 6 oz to the 5 1/2 qts reccommended.In other words,when the motor is cold and the bike parked on a level surface,I now see the oil level 1/2 inch or so over the add oil mark and all is well.Anything above that will end up in the air cleaner as mentioned above.And I'm now pushing the 44,000 mile mark with no problems what so ever.BUT!! I DO NOT and WILL NOT use synthetic oil in ANYTHING I own,nor would I reccommend using the synthetic stuff to even my worst enemy!! But that's me,and as you guys should know by now,I'M NOT TOO BRIGHT! Carry on gentlenmen!

·
Bronze member
3,566 Posts
You forgot to mention that, if ya ride it like ya stole it,[like I see so many guys doing with any make or model bike they're riding] you WILL use some oil!!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
;) Don't. Scroll to the bottom of the page and check out the "Recommended Reading" list there for a list of posts discussing this, that you say you know has been discussed in the past. I would ask, if you have already read those posts, why did you start another oil level thread?:p
Because I wondered if there was any new information. Certainly sorry if I disturbed you.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
4,274 Posts
Because I wondered if there was any new information. Certainly sorry if I disturbed you.
I understand. Going through some of the old threads can give you plenty of opinions with little solution. I got very used to semi dry sump engines with my old Kawi. Checking oil on the 111 is not complicated but needs to be done correctly. Even some of the statements in the Youtube Indian video for checking oil is not completely accurate for checking oil. I get good and consistent readings on my oil. I will agree with most that I rarely check it anymore simply because the 111 does not use any oil. But with that said if you wish to check the oil here is the basic outline of what needs to be done to get a good reading

1. The bike needs to be ran and get the oil hot. Running it for a few minutes does not cut it
2. Once you return from your ride let the engine continue to run and use a block of a 2x4 under the kickstand to get the bike somewhat level. This won't be perfect but close enough for a good reading.
3. After the bike has idled for a minute or two shut if off and leave the the bike on the block of wood.
4. Wait about 30 seconds and check your oil.

This will get you a good accurate reading of the oil. I have tried both leaving the bike idle on the kickstand and on the block of wood and with a semi dry sump motor it will make a difference on the bikes ability to sump the oil back to the gear case were your oil mostly resides and get a good reading. Consistency on how you check the oil can really make a difference here but like a said before after doing this for a while you will see the 111 uses very little oil. The most I have seen between oil changes has been less than half of a quart. Good luck and let me know if you have questions. Dean

Reactions: TKing

·
Rider
946 Posts
Because the dipstick is on the scavenger side of the system it will read the same with 4 quarts or with 5.5/6 quarts when checking the oil. Checking the oil on the Indian bike is useless.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts