Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey everyone! I completed my 500 mile service last week, and am having the toughest time figuring out the oil level. I have the service manual, and tried to follow it to the letter.

I filled it with 3 quarts, and started it for 30 seconds. let it sit for a few minutes. nothing.

slowly and slowly I add 1/10th of a quart, and nothing is showing. every time I add, I run the bike for 30 seconds. no oil shown.

long story short, I ended up adding about 3.7-3.8 quarts (I spilled some in the process). while changing the oil, I leaned my bike over and got a ton of additional oil out that I figured wasn't usually accounted for.

like most, I overfilled it. I removed a handful of filters full of oil, and low and behold, it started showing correctly. I ran the bike until it was quite warm - 180 degrees, but only a bit earlier I had warmed it up until the fans kicked on and off. it showed absolutely dead center between low and full. perfect.

until I took it on a ride, roughly ~15 miles... I came home, and it was just over the full mark.

I'm about to go buy a new oil change kit and re-do, but still don't quite understand how to properly fill this thing! any insight would be greatly appreciated... this has been a killer for me as I don't want to ride my bike out of fear of hurting it.

thanks in advance!

·
Silver member
5,505 Posts
Poor in 3 quarts, start it, let it run till it's fully warmed up (min 5 miles), let it idle for 30 seconds, switch off the engine and check the level after 5-10 seconds while keeping the bike level.

Often 3 quarts is all it needs.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Poor in 3 quarts, start it, let it run till it's fully warmed up (min 5 miles), let it idle for 30 seconds, check the level after 5-10 seconds while keeping the bike level.

Often 3 quarts is all it needs.
thanks max. so i literally have to go for a long ass ride every time i want to check my oil level?

·
Registered
2019 Indian FTR 1200 S
532 Posts
Same thing happened to me. $80 mistake from overfilling it. Next time I did it, put 3qts in, let the bike run for 10 minutes, got a drink, came back and put less than a quarter of a qt in. Started it again, ran for 5 minutes, sat perfectly just below the upper limit.

Apparently this is a right of passage/initiation for this bike.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Changed my post a little, turn off the engine before you check the level. 😉
haha, i’m sure that clarification will help someone googling at some point.

so, after a healthy 10 mile ride, what oil level does yours read completely upright?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Same thing happened to me. $80 mistake from overfilling it. Next time I did it, put 3qts in, let the bike run for 10 minutes, got a drink, came back and put less than a quarter of a qt in. Started it again, ran for 5 minutes, sat perfectly just below the upper limit.

Apparently this is a right of passage/initiation for this bike.
haha that’s what it seems like. mine is just above the upper limit completely and fully warm... how did you realize you overfilled it last time?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That's technically too much. Upper means upper.

(but don't sweat it. Due to a dealer mistake I ran mine with a little too much for a while too. It didn't explode)
i was going to ask if you thought a simple filter or twos worth of letting out might fix it... but i’ll be paranoid about aerated oil. so i’ll just spend the $80 lol

·
Silver member
5,505 Posts
In doubt, pull the front sump plug and about half a quart will drip out. The rest is behind the rear one.

Or get a turkey baster with a piece of fuel hose.

Paranoid about aerated oil? How so?

·
Registered
2019 Indian FTR 1200 S
532 Posts
haha that’s what it seems like. mine is just above the upper limit completely and fully warm... how did you realize you overfilled it last time?
My first oil change, I put 3 qts, stood the bike upright, nothing showing in the glass. Started it anyway per the instructions, let it run for about a minute. Still nothing on the glass so I got worried. Ended up putting in almost an entire 4 qts because nothing was showing. Started it again and after running for 30 seconds it showed just under full. Perfect, right? Well the next day I rode to work and decided to look at my oil after the ride (about 30 minute ride). The entire sight glass was full. Even with the bike on the side stand, it showed half full on the sight glass. Came here, made the same exact forum post, found out the same thing; I didnt let it warm up enough after the initial 3 qts. Just need to give it time to let the new oil cycle through and settle. Also, yes, there is supposed to be a alarming clunking sound upon initial start up after adding the 3qts. Im not motor wiz, but something to do with an internal chain and there being no oil on that portion of the engine yet. Only last for a few seconds then goes back to normal sounding.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
In doubt, pull the front sump plug and about half a quart will drip out. The rest is behind the rear one.

Or get a turkey baster with a piece of fuel hose.

Paranoid about aerated oil? How so?
oh you know, just the hypochondriac google syndrome lol

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
My first oil change, I put 3 qts, stood the bike upright, nothing showing in the glass. Started it anyway per the instructions, let it run for about a minute. Still nothing on the glass so I got worried. Ended up putting in almost an entire 4 qts because nothing was showing. Started it again and after running for 30 seconds it showed just under full. Perfect, right? Well the next day I rode to work and decided to look at my oil after the ride (about 30 minute ride). The entire sight glass was full. Even with the bike on the side stand, it showed half full on the sight glass. Came here, made the same exact forum post, found out the same thing; I didnt let it warm up enough after the initial 3 qts. Just need to give it time to let the new oil cycle through and settle. Also, yes, there is supposed to be a alarming clunking sound upon initial start up after adding the 3qts. Im not motor wiz, but something to do with an internal chain and there being no oil on that portion of the engine yet. Only last for a few seconds then goes back to normal sounding.
haha, you rock! thanks man, you make me feel better.

how far away is your work? (ie how many miles did you ride it overfilled?)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
so, fun new fact: i had the old oil sitting by itself in my catch container. so i decided to measure it.

i had a friend help me, and one of the reasons i change my own oil (especially the 500 mile one) is i’m able to tip the bike, jack up/lower the rear, etc etc to get as much oil out as i could.

this change seemed to get a lot of extra oil once i tipped the bike towards the kickstand ~25 degrees or so. we let it drain until it was a slow, slow drip.

point being, i feel i removed more oil than most while performing this oil change.

·
Registered
2019 Indian FTR 1200 S
532 Posts
haha, you rock! thanks man, you make me feel better.

how far away is your work? (ie how many miles did you ride it overfilled?)
About 15 miles. I was paranoid too due to the above mentioned google syndrome and over aerated oil per the manual, etc. Go back and find my post, I think it's called oil change woes from about a month ago. Had everything from burnt hands and a garage floor full of oil... good times. In the end, now I know what not to do next time.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts