Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Before the first maintenance (800 Kms) i.e.just a few months after purchasing new my RM, there was a slight oil leak on the left carter (on the top of the gear box). The dealer fixed it and explained that this was due to incorrect tightening torque from the plant.

Today after 2 years since the purchase, I can see another slight oil leak but on the right side as you can see on the pictures.
So I'll go asap to get it checked by the dealer and I hope that it'd be for the same reason as for the first leak. But as you can imagine, it's irritating.

Did you experience the same ? Any comment of what you believe it could be ?

Nouvelle image.png
Nouvelle image (1).png

·
Bronze member
1,984 Posts
Looks like push rod gasket failure. There have been a couple instances out there, but usually doesn't take two years to show itself. Good luck with the diagnosis.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thank you !

The dealer though completely booked, took my RM this morning without any appointment :)

First comment when they saw the signs of leakage : they will check during the day the tightening torque of the fixing screws then ride it.

If no further leak, they ask me to ride more than just their test ride (I guess better 100 miles or so) and if any new sign of the leak, they want me to call them without any delay so they'll take it back and open the carters to change probably the gaskets.:(

Another RM owner wonders whether this may be due to the low mileage (I ride 12 mths a year but on small distances), he refers to gaskets which may get dry prematurely ?

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
As I could suspect, the problem is not coming from the tightening torque (though it was a little under what's required).

The dealer will now prepare a warranty request to Polaris. I hope it won't take too long especially at this time of the year...
...I've decided to cancel the ride I was planning with a group this weekend :( (Don't want to take any chance and I don't think I could enjoy the ride anyway "while watching" the leak...).

It is quite frustrating but does it make me believe that Indian is not as reliable as other brands and as it should be for a top of range/ luxurious bike ? I'd say, for the moment, not since when I read the press, among others, about all the recalls, it'd definitively show that every brand is hit by technical problems.

To follow.

Below after taking the RM back from the dealer (after they checked the tightening torque and cleaned it) and riding only 4 miles :

upload_2018-6-28_12-32-12.png
upload_2018-6-28_12-32-30.png

·
Super Moderator
4,909 Posts
Too bad that didn't work, I would just hate to miss the planned ride. :(

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
That looks like my RM. A 2017 that I bought 6 weeks ago that just rolled 9,000 miles. I started smelling burnt oil. Today, I took it to a local independent shop for an oil change and asked if the could identify the leak. Push rod gasket is leaking. He suggested I take it to an Indian dealer for warranty. :(

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
sorry to hear this; this would confirm that it's got nothing to do with mileage (an owner told me that the leak on my RM may come to gaskets drying prematurely due to the llow mileage of my RM ?).

Mine is from 2016 (purchased new).
To follow our both experiences and share them here (great forum, makes me feel less lonely with this problem among others). Hopefully it'll soon be old bad memories.
Don't know whether the entire engine needs to be dismantled (don't think so) and I hope that the mechanic will live up to our expectations !

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Latest news today from the dealer 10 days after they've checked it : they've ordered the gaskets and confirmed that "of course no problem from Polaris since under warranty" :)
Bad news is that they need to take the whole engine down (out of the frame) :( (is it specific to our brand by the way ?); thus they'd need a whole week of work.

Since I did not plan to go on vacation with it (I could not have anyway given the time required to fix it), they'll take it while I'm gone so it should be ready when I'm back.
I'm a little nervous about this labor and since I've purchased the RM brand new just 2 years ago (May 2016) but happy that our bikes are 5 years guaranteed !...

Can't imagine what it would have cost me if my bike were more than 5 years old (just for some gaskets costing a couple of $ !!)...

Now I just expect that everything will be properly fixed in a skillful manner (as one would say : "we need problems to know who are our real friends" so I'll find out whether my dealer is really good or not...). So far I appreciate their behavior.
And after this experience I do expect to cach up with my future rides.

I could yell at Indian and complain that this brand is not so reliable as others but I believe I would not be objective. I 've launched a survey in a forum x-brands on which bike is more reliable and so far none seems to, given that everyone or almost report problems they had regardless the brand.

Finally and above all, since my RM is one of the few bikes which attract me, I am ready to accept these inconveniences to enjoy its unique charm since what's the point to ride a bike with zero free defect if I don't get the feeling that I'm looking for when I'm on it...!?

·
Registered
184 Posts
Hey RedHorse
My leak is different from yours as mine has always been from the area of the front riser tube.
Did not start leaking until I had over 4,000 miles on the bike.

Oil leaks are the worst.
A single drop can make the biggest mess.

And yes, to get to the majority of the seals on these engines they most often have to be removed from the frame.
Dealer tech time is usually between 10 - 15 hours of labor to remove and replace the engine - at least that is what my tech tells me.
It might possibly be an opportunity for you to upgrade your engine's performance while it is out for the cost of parts only.
Since the labor is already covered under warranty - just a thought if you had been thinking about it.
I was fortunate that my dealer would work with me and I was able to take advantage of the situation.

Nice that Indian's in France come with a 5 year warranty!
We only get 2 years here in the states.

Hope the new seals get you fixed up.
Best wishes and keep us posted!

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Mustang01

Given the vacation period starting (especially in August) and given that the tech prefers to keep the RM a good week (besides the fact that I do not want to ride it until it is fixed), I've agreed to leave it while I'm gone so he'll also be able to take his time. He just added that he hopes that the gaskets/seals will arrive on time...Not the best season of the year for such a repair.

I've tought that the 5 years warranty were all over the places ?! This is too bad that it is not general...If there was not this 5 years warranty, I suspect that many Indian owners over here may not have decided to go for the "Indian adventure"...

I guess that it will take some time till I feel confident again when riding the RM after it gets fixed as I may wonder what will happen next and if the mechanic did the proper job for such an important labor !?. It'd be different if my RM was not like brand new (less than 4K miles, 2 years old and perfectly maintained).

Others Indian owners over here can't believe this is happening to me and so early. I prefer to think that every brand is facing issues and especially since my Indian is one of the very few bikes still attracting me today.

I wonder if for a similar oil leak problem, the engine needs also to be removed from the frame for other brands such as Harley or is it specific to Indian ?

Taking this "opportunity" to upgrade the engine performance ? Well I'd rather not (it's got already K&N air filter and Remus exh. pipes) : given the latest EEC regulations from 2017, I understand from the dealer that stages 1 or 2 are no longer listed in the European catalog so unless importing directly from the US, there is no possibility to get them through the dealer !:(

Let's hope for those like us going through this pain that it'll soon belong to past bad memories and that we'll enjoy again for years our gorgeous and charming Indian !

To follow here anyway and best wishes too.

P.S. : love Mustangs ;)

·
Rider
1,147 Posts
Hopefully they will get you up and riding by the time you get back. I know, being a relatively new bike, this can be disappointing.

I own a towing business and can tell you that we tow mostly new vehicles. I tow for Ford, GM, Chrysler among other manufactures. People ask me "what type of vehicle do you tow the most", thinking I will say a make or model. "New ones" is my answer. Sometimes with less than 200 miles on them. They are only machines, and so is you bike.

Hopefully the dealer makes this a good experience for you.

--
Gordon

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
My RM is with the dealer now. I rode 40 miles before leaving it there and the oil leak just started after 30 miles or so. It is definitively a very slight oil leak. I wish they would not have to take out the whole engine ad the mechanic manager who is new told me. He added that even for the head cylinder it'd be required
When I look at the picture from the other subject : https://www.indianmotorcycles.net/attachments/engine-lowered-right-side-jpg.14126/ , I am now skeptical and wonder whether they could not replace the gaskets without taking the whole engine out of the frame ?

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I feel sad leaving my RM for a long time till they fix it :( and a little worried about the heavy intervention (if they must definitively remove the whole engine)

Nouvelle image (5).jpg

·
Bronze member
1,814 Posts
My RM is with the dealer now. I rode 40 miles before leaving it there and the oil leak just started after 30 miles or so. It is definitively a very slight oil leak. I wish they would not have to take out the whole engine ad the mechanic manager who is new told me. He added that even for the head cylinder it'd be required
When I look at the picture from the other subject : https://www.indianmotorcycles.net/attachments/engine-lowered-right-side-jpg.14126/ , I am now skeptical and wonder whether they could not replace the gaskets without taking the whole engine out of the frame ?
From that picture, there is not a lot more time and effort to remove the engine. IMHO. The pushrod /lifter design although similar looking to HD, there are differences. Cam change on V TWIN HD involves cutting pushrods and using a clip to hold lifters. This is easy because of the two piece pushrod chrome covers. it appears TS111 are not as easy because of the solid pushrod covers, the heads have to be removed. If a lifter drops, the engine comes out. A modular frame does make engine removal a bit easier proposition.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Good this vacation period when more appointments have been cancelled at the dealer : as a result my beauty is ready just a week after I brought her to the dealer.
This is great and covered by the 5 years warranty ! :)
Now I just have to ride and hope there won't be another leak.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Very old advertising... It says

EVERY KM is a A SMILE for the one who rides an INDIAN motorcycle

delivery of 3 models 7-9 hp, 3 gears, with and w/o electric lights / 5 hp, 3 gears w/o electric lights

THE BIKE THE MOST ADVANCED IN THE WORLD

LARGE INVENTORY OF SPARE PARTS

·
Registered
484 Posts
Oil leaks were a Harley exclusive years ago. They called it the "self lubricating feature". Kept your bike from rusting and imparted the manly smell of used motor oil to the inner thighs. BTW I do like the new Harley's.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts