Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Founding member / distinguished
2,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today during a 350 mile trip, I noticed a little bit of oil on the right side from about the brake pedal pivot point back. This was toward the end of the ride and immediately after a pretty hot, hard run down the interstate at about 80mph.
This ride was hot, temps up around 100F most of the trip, mixture of traffic, state roads and then interstate on the last leg.
Oil level was fine (actually a little high).
I'm hoping that it just got really hot and vented a bit of oil. I couldn't see exactly where it was coming from and I'm not messing with it anymore tonight.
Does anyone know where the crankcase vent is?

·
Super Moderator
4,946 Posts
I honestly don't know but I would think in todays environmentally friendly climate direct venting crankcase gasses into the atmosphere would be an emissions violation. Based upon that, I would surmise crankcase ventilation would go back into the intake system, like a car's PCV.

·
2,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cleaned it up yesterday, then took another short ride today. Short, but long enough to get everything good and warm.
I definitely have a leak on the cam cover around one or two of the bolts. Dammit.

·
Super Moderator
4,946 Posts
Bummer. Just gotta love stuff that shows up under warranty though, eh?

·
2,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
it's in the shop now getting fixed and getting the 2500 mile check.
I('ll give everyone my initial rating on Indian of Pensacola soon.

·
2,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Pensacola Indian changed the gasket and three days later, it was leaking again.
back to the dealer and talked with the mechanic. The gasket wasn't broken, hadn't slipped. he said that it appeared that the oil was coming through the bolt hole, around the threads. He used a little sealer on the gasket and on the bolt threads and after a few hard runs, no leak.

Pensacola Indian (Adventure Motorsports of Northwest Florida) has a good thing going. The sales, parts, and service personnel are all really friendly, helpful and seem to know what they are talking about. If you are in the Florida Panhandle area, I recommend stopping by.

·
2,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Curses!
I did an hour ride to breakfast and the leak has reared its ugly head on the return trip.

Pensacola Indiaan gets another try on Tuesday...
BTW, Pensacola Indian is still good. This oil leak has gone past "aggravating" and right into "pissing me off"!

·
Registered
65 Posts
The crankcase emission control system is comprised of a closed system that routes crankcase emissions through the air cleaner into the combustion chamber. [per service manual]

·
2,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Latest update:
The Pensacola Indian Shop put a new cam cover on it Tuesday. The new cover did not come with the center piece(what you get if you buy the aftermarket painted "cam cover" from Indian), so it was a good excuse to go ahead and have them put it on.
After two pretty hard runs down I-10, 2 up, it has not leaked.
Hopefully, it's a done deal now. The Service Manager told that the next step is a new engine if it leaks again.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Latest update:
The Pensacola Indian Shop put a new cam cover on it Tuesday. The new cover did not come with the center piece(what you get if you buy the aftermarket painted "cam cover" from Indian), so it was a good excuse to go ahead and have them put it on.
After two pretty hard runs down I-10, 2 up, it has not leaked.
Hopefully, it's a done deal now. The Service Manager told that the next step is a new engine if it leaks again.
So dan did the leak ever come back??

1 - 13 of 13 Posts