Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone else had issues with an oil leak like this?

leakIMG_0060 (2).png IMG_0027.JPG IMG_0031.JPG IMG_0032.JPG

Quick history..
First noticed very small leak around 3,00 miles. Bike was setup with stage 2 form purchase.
Dealer noticed back in March when I took in for 5,000 mile service.They said they would have to pull engine to replace seals and gaskets. Put the BBK in while they had the engine down. Leaking started again on the ride home. 1,900 miles now on the BBK and still leaking. Appears to be from the same spot.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Nope, bring it back and have them do it again, perhaps ask for a different mechanic to work on it, had to request that at my dealer.

·
Registered
401 Posts
If BBK means the 116ci, you really need to get with the dealer.
Polaris has suspended sales on the kit and issued a service bulletin.

116CI STAGE3 BIG BORE ACCY KIT
Bulletin #: I-18-06
Regular
Contact your dealer for more information on this bulletin.

·
Registered
554 Posts
I had to have mine pulled too to replace the gasket. Thankfully was still under warranty. No issues since.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just a quick note for clarification--

So far, absolutely no problem with the dealer or Polaris on my problem other than a new ride having a very small leak to begin with.
My dealer has quickly addressed my needs very professionally.
From my first visit, they have gone above and beyond what I have experienced at any other dealer in the past.
Working with them from the start, we waited to see if everything would seat itself after break-in.
Then they had me try to heat cycle the engine to see if repeated extreme temperature changes would seal the leak.
I e-mailed my tech at the dealer this afternoon, and he has already responded this evening - on a Sunday!
Will be taking the bike back to them so they can check it out and he is already reaching out to Polaris tech for ideas.

That said--
My situation seems very improbable - to have the same leak a second time even after the top end was redone.
The purpose of my post is to reach out to a much larger group to see if others have had or heard of a similar problem and what was needed to fix it.
I hope to draw on the vast amount of experience and knowledge that this forum has to offer to gain insight on probable cause and likely fix.

I have a friend that rides an older HD Electra Glide that had an issue similar to this.
He was told that the rings on one piston lined up in the cylinder instead of being offset allowing oil to seep past and leak.
They told him one in a million chance.
His fix included the top end being redone also.
His experience with HD warranty and his dealer took over a month of the bike being stuck at the dealer.

Thank you to all that respond - all insight is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
5,920 Posts
Glad to hear your dealer is taking good care of your problem/s. That might be the push-rod tube seal that has been reported as a problem on certain engines... Polaris has a "fix" for that issue - a different seal design.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Glad to hear your dealer is taking good care of your problem/s. That might be the push-rod tube seal that has been reported as a problem on certain engines... Polaris has a "fix" for that issue - a different seal design.
Sounds like they would need to pull the engine again if they determine this is the cause.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you dieselgman - you were exactly right.

My dealer called me yesterday morning to update me on the official notice out from PI on the 116. Then he went on to explain what they will attempt to try to do to seal the leak. He says they have a way to rotate the tube and re-oil the seals to see if they will seat better. If not - the engine will come out again anyway when the 116 "fix" is ready for distribution. Seems like the worse case scenario is that I will have to wipe the bike down after every ride -- oh wait -- I do that anyway.

·
Diamond member
9,096 Posts
I commend your attitude. It's very revealing to your character and I'm sure it's gotten you far.
To many fly off the handle for a sticker fading, So this was a nice change.
I look forward to hearing of the solution!
Cheers!

·
Registered
127 Posts
My 2014 Vintage had work on the top end this winter. I got the bike back one month ago with leaks too. Mine are the push rod seals. Dealer says he has room to take the head off the front cylinder and replace the head gasket and tube seals without dropping the motor. Back cylinder leak, the motor comes out of the bike. I hope my dealer fixes this right this time. It was his sloppy, poor work that caused the problem in the first place. Good luck on yours and keep us posted.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I commend your attitude. It's very revealing to your character and I'm sure it's gotten you far.
To many fly off the handle for a sticker fading, So this was a nice change.
I look forward to hearing of the solution!
Cheers!
Hatt
Appreciate your comments and the flowers.
Think my head is swelling up now.....
Hope my helmet still fits....

·
Bronze member
2,656 Posts
Talking to my dealer several weeks ago - he said the only problem (this was before the 116 stop sale order) they had encountered on 116s was a leaky push rod. He said it's easy to roll the O-ring on the install, causing the leak. The dealer called IM and apparently this has happened enough to be a problem. IM said the fix is to grease the O-rings before install and it prevents them from rolling. Not sure if this is your issue, but sounds like it.

·
Rider
879 Posts
Ya gotta pull the Engine for a Pushrod Seal???? How very convenient!! Almost as convenient as a Battery Change... Sheeesh!!!

·
Super Moderator
4,909 Posts
Just a quick note for clarification--

So far, absolutely no problem with the dealer or Polaris on my problem other than a new ride having a very small leak to begin with.
My dealer has quickly addressed my needs very professionally.
From my first visit, they have gone above and beyond what I have experienced at any other dealer in the past.
Working with them from the start, we waited to see if everything would seat itself after break-in.
Then they had me try to heat cycle the engine to see if repeated extreme temperature changes would seal the leak.
I e-mailed my tech at the dealer this afternoon, and he has already responded this evening - on a Sunday!
Will be taking the bike back to them so they can check it out and he is already reaching out to Polaris tech for ideas.

That said--
My situation seems very improbable - to have the same leak a second time even after the top end was redone.
The purpose of my post is to reach out to a much larger group to see if others have had or heard of a similar problem and what was needed to fix it.
I hope to draw on the vast amount of experience and knowledge that this forum has to offer to gain insight on probable cause and likely fix.

I have a friend that rides an older HD Electra Glide that had an issue similar to this.
He was told that the rings on one piston lined up in the cylinder instead of being offset allowing oil to seep past and leak.
They told him one in a million chance.
His fix included the top end being redone also.
His experience with HD warranty and his dealer took over a month of the bike being stuck at the dealer.

Thank you to all that respond - all insight is greatly appreciated.
My guess is a push rod seal too, not the first time we've seen reports of them leaking after work being done.

As for the ring lining up, I've seen it happen on oblonged cylinder bores. This situation would cause a lot of crankcase pressure which could cause oil leaks however the majority of the oil leaking you'll see will be coming from your air breather. I doubt your rings have lined up.

·
Diamond member
9,096 Posts
Talking to my dealer several weeks ago - he said the only problem (this was before the 116 stop sale order) they had encountered on 116s was a leaky push rod. He said it's easy to roll the O-ring on the install, causing the leak. The dealer called IM and apparently this has happened enough to be a problem. IM said the fix is to grease the O-rings before install and it prevents them from rolling. Not sure if this is your issue, but sounds like it.
Wow.. I thought everyone knew to use grease on o-rings and other tricky sticky seals..
I know builders that even do this with most gaskets on a machine.. I guess I was wrong! Lol

1 - 20 of 75 Posts