Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My indian dealer is 200 miles up the road buy the Victory dealer is just up the street. Is there a aftermarket filter( wix, stp, fram) that is comparable with the Indian filter, or is the Victory filter the same .

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Not sure about the oil filter but thought your signature quote was pretty cool. I can relate. Wix or Bosch are good filters.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Victory filter is the same filter used on the ATV's so if the same filter is used on the Indian you could also buy it at a Polaris dealer.
I bought a reuseable filter for my Vision. I haven't tried it yet. I bought it for rock protection.
http://www.webbikeworld.com/t2/flo-oil-filter/

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Witchdoctors X-Mas sale has K&P oil filters on sale. These things last a lifetime and orovide superior filtration. Ends today. Not sure on the fitment for Indian but just sayin...

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Indian and Victory filters are the same so yes My K&P filters will work. Merry Christmas.

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
1264 said:
Indian and Victory filters are the same so yes My K&P filters will work. Merry Christmas.
No, they are not the same. Different part # and different properties.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
According to information from my dealer, the oil is the same, the filters are NOT the same between Victory and Indian. K&P are listed for Victory but I would be hesitant to use on my Indian.

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My dealer said the same thing. Oil is the same, but the filters are not. I haven't heard of any other brand of filters that are interchangeable yet.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
MY Kia dealer claims the same thing... Kia filters are different than all others and I should really only use their filters BS.... I use WIX filters on everything.... there is a good chance that the factory filter on your Indian is made by WIX

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If you go to WIX website they have a filter cross refence search put in OEM # and see if they have one for you. The new indians may be too new yet but who knows

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just had my 500 mile service done on my Vintage at my local Victory dealer. He told me that he tought the oil was the same as what Victory uses, but the filter was different. He said that the filter was the same as what Polaris uses on their ATVs. He should know. He sells Victory motorcycles and Polaris ATVs.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
19311 said:
I just had my 500 mile service done on my Vintage at my local Victory dealer. He told me that he tought the oil was the same as what Victory uses, but the filter was different. He said that the filter was the same as what Polaris uses on their ATVs. He should know. He sells Victory motorcycles and Polaris ATVs.
The Indian oil filter was the same as the ATV's?

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That's what he said. I don't know if all Polaris ATVs use the same oil filter, so it might be specific to certain ATVs.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Wouldn't the simple solution, at least until there is a documented crossover, to have a dealer ship you 2 or 3. That should hold you over for at least a year.

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
613 said:
The Indian oil filter was the same as the ATV's?
No.
If you go to the Victory parts catalog and enter the oil filter # 2540086 you will find a large list of vehicles, including ATVs, which use this filter. On that list you will NOT find 2014 Indians.
If you go to the Indian parts catalog and enter the oil filter # 2521421 you will find a short list of vehicles which use this filter. On that list you will find ONLY 2014 Indians.
Do you think Polaris would make the same filter with a different part # to justify their claim of different parts for the Indian?
They may have the same mounting thread and seal diameter and would appear to be the same, but until someone with the expertise and time to do so, tests each item and makes a comparison, I will stick to getting the Indian filter. How much are you willing to risk by using the non-Indian filter vs how much you save in $ ?

·
Founding Member
429 Posts
I spoke with the Indian techs at Daytona, it uses the same Victory filter for the 106 series engines, or in other words a Victory filter.

·
Registered
701 Posts
I spoke with the Indian techs at Daytona, it uses the same Victory filter for the 106 series engines, or in other words a Victory filter.
Following that logic, I used to have a car with 5.0 x 16" wheels so I can use the tires for that vehicle on the rear of the new Indians. Yes, it will work but ...

See reply #17. Technicians are not the most reliable of sources.

Reactions: Frazier
1 - 20 of 50 Posts