Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Finally it's time for my 1st service. Does any body here know what size oil filter wrench ill need? Thanks in advance. 馃憤

Registered
I just did my second oil change. Took the new filter with me to Autozone to find a oil filter cap wrench that would fit since the only oil filter removal tool I had was the "strap" kind and that wasn't going to fit around the filter due to the oil lines surrounding it.

Test fitted the oil filter wrench at Autozone, bought it and walked out feeling all sorts of proud of myself for having the thought to do that. Got home, and tried to put the same exact oil filter wrench on the Indian OEM oil filter. Didn't fit!!!!! Mother hell!!!!

Flathead screwdriver and hammer into the Indian OEM filter and turned it off. Annoying!

Bronze member
People say it should be a 64.7 mm for Indian/Polaris.

Reactions: Max Kool

Rider
People say it should be a 64.7 mm for Indian/Polaris.
At the last oil change I picked up a 65 mm cap wrench from Napa Auto parts, seemed to be fine in the parking lot. Then, got home and it spun around and didn't work. Irritating. Used a cheap strap wrench, which was less than optimal, but got it done. I am told that BMW motorcycle part 83302420083 will work well.

Rider
All I know is the one I mentioned above fits snug on my original filter...
It works for you, and that is excellent...I think the problem with the Napa part was the loss of contact against the filter once the socket wrench was snapped in...somehow I suspect the loss of 7 clams will not ruin my life...

Rider
Not sure if you are talking to me or not? Ended up with a Napa Gold one (Wix re-branded apparently)
Are you concerned about the difference in nominal micron ratings? (10 for the Indian filter and what appears to be 21 for the Napa).

Rider
Ow wait, the 3/8 or half inch socket snapped in, pulled the filter wrench back a little?
With the extension/socket snapped in (3/8 drive) it appeared to no longer make good contact with the filter. Don't know if the wrench was tapered, or what. Just no joy in Mudville.

Registered
All I know is the one I mentioned above fits snug on my original filter...
I went ahead and ordered that one too - I have to do the Wife's Bobber next so now I'll have TWO oil filter sockets that probably won't work. lol

Are you concerned about the difference in nominal micron ratings? (10 for the Indian filter and what appears to be 21 for the Napa).
In one of the numerous other oil threads on this forum, everyone was singing Wix filter praises. Couldn't find a Wix so, people said that the Napa Gold filter IS a Wix filter, just re-branded. I also used the NAPA Gold Filter on my Victory CCT and my H-D Night Rod Special. Never had an issue (knock on wood) Maybe the micron rating on the Indian Oil filter has to be better because the oil they are using is worse? Food for thought maybe?

Rider
I went ahead and ordered that one too - I have to do the Wife's Bobber next so now I'll have TWO oil filter sockets that probably won't work. lol

In one of the numerous other oil threads on this forum, everyone was singing Wix filter praises. Couldn't find a Wix so, people said that the Napa Gold filter IS a Wix filter, just re-branded. I also used the NAPA Gold Filter on my Victory CCT and my H-D Night Rod Special. Never had an issue (knock on wood) Maybe the micron rating on the Indian Oil filter has to be better because the oil they are using is worse? Food for thought maybe?
Hey, I'm not the one who brought up using an automotive oil filter...lol

Rider
What's wrong with the age old method of stabbing and twisting? I like stabbing and twisting? 馃槀馃榿

Been a longer lockdown for some!(y)

1 - 20 of 47 Posts