Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yo Indian Folks! Sometimes when you have worked on bikes forever you really do discover new issues, this is about fixing oil filter leaks on Indians.....mine is a 2015 RM. After repeated oil changes, I noticed this winter (2019) that I could not get the oil filter to stop dripping...very aggravating! I tried tightening, un-tightening, whatever, it would not quit dripping after running, warming up, and so on.

The Indians are made with a threaded oil filter STEM, this stem can back off (loosen) after several oil changes. Thankfully, the stem is designed with a 12mm allen hex in the stem oil port. Per the Indian Service Manual, the stem should be tightened to 22 foot pounds. Find or borrow a 12mm allen socket and torque wrench, and reset the torque on the oil filter stem to 22 foot pounds, then spin on the filter and tighten as normal. You are welcome!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh, you can do this with a full oil crankcase, you only lose a little oil, just put a small pan under the spot and have your tools handy, 12mm allen hex, torque wrench set at 22 foot pounds, and filter wrench. Viola!

·
Registered
205 Posts
I've seen this same issue on a large diesel engine we had on a tug boat. Good post!

·
Founding member / Distinguished
4,503 Posts
Great tip. Thanks!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yo Indian Folks! Sometimes when you have worked on bikes forever you really do discover new issues, this is about fixing oil filter leaks on Indians.....mine is a 2015 RM. After repeated oil changes, I noticed this winter (2019) that I could not get the oil filter to stop dripping...very aggravating! I tried tightening, un-tightening, whatever, it would not quit dripping after running, warming up, and so on.

The Indians are made with a threaded oil filter STEM, this stem can back off (loosen) after several oil changes. Thankfully, the stem is designed with a 12mm allen hex in the stem oil port. Per the Indian Service Manual, the stem should be tightened to 22 foot pounds. Find or borrow a 12mm allen socket and torque wrench, and reset the torque on the oil filter stem to 22 foot pounds, then spin on the filter and tighten as normal. You are welcome!!
GOOD TO KNOW,THANKS SONIC

1 - 9 of 9 Posts