Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ran a search with no results so will throw out the question. Am taking the first trip with the new Roadmaster in May and will be gone for several weeks. Thinking ahead about oil changes and filter and knowing Indian dealers are not as popular in areas that I will be traveling begs to ask the question:
What other oil filters would be OK to use if can't find the factory brand( be specific)?

·
Founding Member
529 Posts
Wix 51358 is exact size match and is a good filter
Wix 51356 is same filter about 1/2 inch longer
Fram Xg7317 is a great filter
Napa gold 1358 is same as the wix 51358
Napa gold 1356 is the same as the wix 51356

The wix number works on most cross reference sites

·
Founding member / Distinguished
3,619 Posts
I ran a search with no results so will throw out the question. Am taking the first trip with the new Roadmaster in May and will be gone for several weeks. Thinking ahead about oil changes and filter and knowing Indian dealers are not as popular in areas that I will be traveling begs to ask the question:
What other oil filters would be OK to use if can't find the factory brand( be specific)?
If you think that your oil will be due while you are on your trip then change it now as opposed to taking time out of your trip. I was about a 1000 miles away from changing the oil when I was getting ready to do my Mississippi river roads trip. I was not going to take time out of that trip to have the oil changed. I just did the change early. Dean

·
Founding Member
529 Posts
I run these on all my motorcycles for the last dozen years along with Red Line 20w50 High Performance Synthetic Oil

http://www.amazon.com/Engineering-Finished-Lifetime-2014-2016-Motorcycles/dp/B00H89J9JE

>---------> >---------> >--------->

Live Free - Ride Hard - Die Well
Well Roadie,

Guarantee that everyone on this site knows two things about you:

1. You use redline 20-50
2. You use a K&P filter

Hope you are getting paid by these folks since you advertise in every post. Keep up the good work. Lol

·
Registered
723 Posts
Seven Mr. Coffee filters and Gorilla Duct Tape will work great! Might leak a little so carry extra duct tape with you.

Seriously, use a filter of your choice. There are good suggestions here on this thread. Any one of them will work great. Personally I'm like Roadie. I use the K&P filter but I use Amzoil brand oil. For your best bet buy an oil change kit from Indian. Everything you need is in one box ready to go. Worry about a change to different filters and oils after your trip.

Ride safe and enjoy the road!

·
Read Only
6,804 Posts
Wrong, filters are built to spec. In the case of Bosch their premium have traditional cardboard Paper elements and the drain back valve is rubber. In their distance plus the filtering medium is a synthetic made up of fiberglass and the valve is silicone. The conditions experienced with extended drain interval synthetic oils is that the negative effects place higher demands on filters. Plain paper both do not hold as many grams of contaminants nor do they mechanically stand up to these conditions as the higher grade filters do. Wix also has different grades of filters in their line. If you read their tech sheets they point out these things. Also, independent testing has dissected filters and tested their performance to back this up.

·
Read Only
6,804 Posts
Another manufacturer is Per-Form. They produce filters for the motosport industry. I invite you to look over their web site and see what they offer.

·
Founding Member
529 Posts
Wrong, filters are built to spec. In the case of Bosch their premium have traditional cardboard Paper elements and the drain back valve is rubber. In their distance plus the filtering medium is a synthetic made up of fiberglass and the valve is silicone. The conditions experienced with extended drain interval synthetic oils is that the negative effects place higher demands on filters. Plain paper both do not hold as many grams of contaminants nor do they mechanically stand up to these conditions as the higher grade filters do. Wix also has different grades of filters in their line. If you read their tech sheets they point out these things. Also, independent testing has dissected filters and tested their performance to back this up.
Maybe you missed the word "premium." Bosch is made for Bosch by champion labs. Champion labs brand is purolator and the Bosch uses basically the same media as the pure one. Of course there are different grades. K&N, Bosch, Amsoil are made to "their" specs. But those specs use the various grades of media that that company has. They do not use some specially made media for aftermarket filters. Yes they have media from cellulose to micro glass and combinations thereof.

·
Read Only
6,804 Posts
Funny thing is Bosch Premium is their entry level filter, their Distance Plus is their higher grade filter. A bit of wordsmith on their part, one would think they bought their best , but not so.

·
Founding Member
529 Posts
Of course these after market filters change manufacturers at any given time based on low bidder. Does not mean they are bad filters, though.

Reactions: HYWMAN

·
Founding Member
529 Posts
Funny thing is Bosch Premium is their entry level filter, their Distance Plus is their higher grade filter. A bit of wordsmith on their part, one would think they bought their best , but not so.
It is all marketing to make the most profit. All the name brand premium filters are good quality.

·
Founding Member
529 Posts
Marketing is a tricky thing. If you can, it is best to go to their website and look at the beta ratios. That will tell you the real story. But, in general most of the upper tier filters are plenty good enough.

One interesting note, the purolator pure one at one point was not recommended for motorcycle use. It uses a dense media which has a little lower flow rating than most other filters.

·
Senior member / bronze
1,658 Posts
If you think that your oil will be due while you are on your trip then change it now as opposed to taking time out of your trip. I was about a 1000 miles away from changing the oil when I was getting ready to do my Mississippi river roads trip. I was not going to take time out of that trip to have the oil changed. I just did the change early. Dean
I did the same with tires. Knew I could get a couple thousand miles more. But going on a road trip in June about 5000 miles. Peace of mind to have good rubber for trip was also a factor.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I am a true believer in Wix oil filters. They have received very high quality recommendations from several reputable mechanics I know. I used nothin but a Wix on my HD. @Spur, are one of the filters you gave the numbers for chrome?

·
Founding Member
529 Posts
I am a true believer in Wix oil filters. They have received very high quality recommendations from several reputable mechanics I know. I used nothin but a Wix on my HD. @Spur, are one of the filters you gave the numbers for chrome?
Rebel,

Wix is a very good filter. Those do not include a chrome one. The wix website should give you the info you need. I will see if I can find it.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Rebel,

Wix is a very good filter. Those do not include a chrome one. The wix website should give you the info you need. I will see if I can find it.
Good deal, thanks a bunch. To be honest I don't recall whether the filter that was installed on my RM when the 500 mile service was done is chrome or black. Can't go check as my bike has been at the dealership since Thursday of last week. Appreciate it.

1 - 20 of 129 Posts