Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

Oil Droplet

1232 12
After the latest oil change, I have noticed an oil 'droplet' on the oil plug. It is not dripping. I just wipe it off. I do not recall any droplets prior to the oil change, but I cannot remember ever checking. I have noticed it several times after rides, when I am cleaning the bugs off. After rides the oil is obviously very hot and most fluid. I am afraid to over-tighten the plugs; I do not want to shear them off. Several mechanics has discouraged the use of 'torgue' wrenches, 'just makes it snug.' Could the washers be compromised?
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Bronze member
4,054 Posts
Which one??There are two used, both are copper,both are the same size, and they are available at any auto parts store.Ya just have to file em a tad in the center so the plug will fit thru em.I've already had to replace one,but not because there was somethin wrong with it!! I dropped it and couldn't find it!! DUH!!! And when ya put em back on,make sure the surface on both sides of the copper washer,as well as the surface on the block they mate with,are CLEAN!!And do NOT OVER TIGHT EM cause you'll strip the threads and that's when your headaches will start.Snug em,then a tad more,and you're done!! Ca pishe???

·
Bronze member
4,054 Posts
The inside one. I have turned it slightly. It turned fairly easy, so maybe it was loose.

If it turned easy,then it wasn't tight.So my question is:when you tightened it this time,did it feel tight?? And after tightening it,were there any more drips?? If not,then you solved your problem.If ya still got a drip,and as I posted earlier,either the copper gasket is bad,or the threads on the plug itself,or the threads in the oil pan,are striped.But if there are no more leaks,then I'd say ya solved the problem.Well done.So now that you're an expert,lol ,you're hired!! So how much do we need to pay ya for your service?? lol lol

·
Bronze member
4,054 Posts
You can buy a tap to chase the threads in the block,as long as there's still metal there to thread into.If not,you can always get an over sized threaded oil drain plug which makes its' own threads,again,at most auto parts stores.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Well, oil on drain plug and you eventually checked to find one of the plugs loose...

Back to some basics. These plugs (and the drain hole threads) do not strip when installed properly and torqued (not torgued) to no more than 15 ft./lbs. You SHOULD use a torque wrench to make that accurate, ideally one that measures in./lbs. not ft./lbs. so you can get it accurate. I set mine at 144 in./lbs. (12 ft./lbs.) which is plenty for a drain plug.

What do you mean the local mechanic said the treads were "stretched?" The threads on the bolt or the case? How does he know that? Did he do the oil change?

First step is to properly torque the drain plug with a fresh crush water (12 x 18 x 1.5). No reason to throw out the oil; just drain it into a clean pan and re-use. If the plug does not torque to spec or continues to leak, yes, your oil change gorilla stripped your threads. Hard to imagine the bolt threads would give out without taking the case threads with them, As noted above, you need to have a competent mechanic install a thread insert.

It seems you are new to the bike, and I encourage you to read your owner's manual, get a few basic tools and learn your bike. You will gain confidence in these issues and experience the satisfaction of knowing how your bike operates and the care you put into making sure things are done right.

·
Bronze member
4,054 Posts
Ya don't stretch threads.They're either cross threaded or stripped,meaning,who ever did the job does not know what they're doing..Follow me?? I mean,we all make mistakes,but a competent mechanic will almost always fix his/her mistake BEFORE returning said vehicle to the customer.And that's the kind of tech ya want working on your vehicle.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.