Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I have a brand new 2019 scout I just took delivery of Friday morning and I am seeing some oil dripping on the ground under the bike right below the swing arm pivot. The oil is coming from a small vent tube that runs down the back side of the engine. I cleaned it up Saturday when I noticed it and after a short ride today I parked it in the driveway and it’s dripping again. I have not looked into where this tube connects but I assume it’s the crank case or air box. Has anyone had any similar experiences? I plan to call my dealer in the am. By the way I have checked the oil and it’s not over full and actually probably a little low. I did check it with the bike straight up.

Thanks,

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've only come across this when people use the full 4 quarts , which overfills the needs.
Thanks for the reply. Its the oil delivered in the machine from the dealer and It looks to be a little low. I called my dealer and they asked if I could bring it by for them to check it out. I will let everyone know how it turns out.

Thanks,

·
Registered
200 Posts
I read this a couple od days ago and I waited to see what sort of response you had...

The vents that drop down under the seat and down past the battery box and then out by the swing arm are not part of the crankcase ventilation - that (in an unmodified engine) is collected and returned to the airbox. The under seat vents are from the gas tank. One has a clip on it and I believe that deals with tank pressure and the other is just push fit and deals with run off in the gas tank filler cap. Just double check if there is definitely oil in your leakage..

·
Registered
200 Posts

Thought you might like to see the factory airbox in all its glory...notice the absence of any drain anywhere in the box itself. The twin nozzles are the entry points for the two crankcase breather tubes.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I read this a couple od days ago and I waited to see what sort of response you had...
View attachment 588717
The vents that drop down under the seat and down past the battery box and then out by the swing arm are not part of the crankcase ventilation - that (in an unmodified engine) is collected and returned to the airbox. The under seat vents are from the gas tank. One has a clip on it and I believe that deals with tank pressure and the other is just push fit and deals with run off in the gas tank filler cap. Just double check if there is definitely oil in your leakage..
Thanks for the response. That makes sense its the fuel tank vent as I had topped off the tank just a little while before I parked it and saw the drip. It is definitely oil or oily fluid coming out and not gas because it leaves a stain in the driveway and gas would evaporate, it feels thick and I gave it the sniff test. I wonder if the gas has washed out some oil or something that was in the line from assembly? It has not dripped again since last Sunday. I think I may go top it off again and see if it drips.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts