Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put the oil drain plug with crush washer in and went to tighten and it just spins. It won't tighten down. I tried to back it out and it just spins. Any advice?

·
Registered
210 Posts
Well, sounds like you overtightened the plug/bolt and stripped the thread in the aluminum crankcase. Heli-Coil is the fix for this - there is another method out there which I don’t remember the name and have never used it. But Heli-Coil will definitely fix this. Good luck

·
Bronze member
2,055 Posts
Well, sounds like you overtightened the plug/bolt and stripped the thread in the aluminum crankcase. Heli-Coil is the fix for this - there is another method out there which I don’t remember the name and have never used it. But Heli-Coil will definitely fix this. Good luck
The other is Time-Sert.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Yes, that’s the one - google both and use the one you think fits the job better.

·
Rider
367 Posts
Make sure with the time sert the insert is not deeper than the case. I found that the ones that come in the kits are too deep and will stick up inside the case. I have found the right one separate from the kits. Not sure if one could cut off the sert to help it fit.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I didn't overtighten, it just would never tighten. Maybe I stripped it while taking out the plug. It was pretty tough to get out. Thanks for the advice, I'll check it out.

Any idea how to get the drain plug out? It just spins whether I turn left or right.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Try a magnet while turning or pliers or prying with screwdrivers .... literally just pulling it out. The thread is not holding anymore, at least not much ☹

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I tried to get something on there to get downward pressure on the plug but there's nowhere to get a screwdriver or even a pick to get any leverage.

I'm definitely going to go with Time-Sert. Seems pretty easy, just have to figure out how to get this plug out. I'll try to needle nose vice grips. Otherwise I have no idea. I hand screwed it in just fine, but put a wrench on it to tighten a little and it just spins........ At least I have my Chieftan to ride while I figure this out.

·
Rider
1,158 Posts
Well you might be able to to get a set ov vice grips around the edge and use an easy out . Drill into the bottom of the hex head while someone else holds the vice grips then you can try some downward pressure? Or maybe take some JB weld or the likes and buy a cheap bit to adhere to it and try pulling down that way? I’m a shade tree hillbilly mechanic just throwing out some ideas.....so be gentle with the roasting lol

·
Registered
137 Posts
The problem with cutting down a timesert fitting is that it uses the expansion of the lower part to fix it in place. Therefore if you should cut that section off the insert would not be retained properly...true?
Helicoils aren't as secure as timesert but they can be shortened - there's a video on YouTube showing this.

·
Rider
367 Posts
Any idea how to get the drain plug out? It just spins whether I turn left or right.
Might try and use a screwdriver or something similar to pry down as you try to remove the plug. I also like the idea of trying to affix something to the plug and pull and unscrew at the same time. Might buy a cheap allen and affix it to the bolt, you may have to clean the oil residue off the plug to get it to stick. Although this might force you to buy a new plug.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts