Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
61 - 80 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
794 Posts
I stripped the threads out of the brake-side passenger floorboard mounting point on my first attempt to put OEM Indian floorboards in. I was :eek:SHOCKED:eek: at how easily they were destroyed. Luckily a buddy of mine re-tapped the hole to [I think it was a little over 10mm]; and the original bolt when back in just fine (after re-cutting the threads in both).
Interestingly, he found the side that I had installed successfully to also be in need of a re-cut because they weren't in pristine condition either. I'm starting to wonder if the factory tappers have deep enough threads.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Here's the problem (in my opinion), these torque values are for dry threads. As soon as you have oil (or antiseize) on the threads, you must reduce the torque 20 to 25%. I'm going to do my 500 mi oil change and give it 10-12 lbs of torque. That's it...

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Is it just me or is one of the holes brass? Looks like the original is brass and the replacement is steel. Brass? Really? No wonder they are stripping out. I can tell you this with certainty, the holes on my Dark Horse are not brass.

"Barnett drills out the case and installs a steel insert for a permanent repair"

·
Registered
794 Posts
Is it just me or is one of the holes brass? Looks like the original is brass and the replacement is steel. Brass? Really? No wonder they are stripping out. I can tell you this with certainty, the holes on my Dark Horse are not brass.

"Barnett drills out the case and installs a steel insert for a permanent repair"
Brass would be nearly as dumb as copper [re hardness]. But steel inserts are the industry standard for the repair, as they generally prevent reoccurrance [steel bolt: Steel Threads]

·
Premium Member
1,075 Posts
The dealer did my first oil change. I've done the last 3 oil changes. I never use a torque wrench, I always go by feel. I don't even put it on the motorcycle lift. I have plenty of room to work. No problems so far.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just picked up my Chieftain on Tuesday from her 5000 mile service and was informed by Gregor at Barnett Indian that when they removed the second drain plug all of the threads came with it and the case needed to be repaired. Gregor told me that there is only about 3 1/2 threads that hold the drain plug in. This is the 9th Indian that this has happened to at Barnett, most of them on their first service mine was the 1st one they have seen happen on the second oil change. This is a $200.00 repair plus parts, Barnett drills out the case and installs a steel insert for a permanent repair, they have had a special jig made to insure that the case is drilled out straight. Indian will not accept this as a warranty claim they say it is the responsibility of the owner for any stripped out fasteners. Barnett did not charge me for the repair (Thank God) but Gregor did say that Mark Barnett is getting tired of eating these repairs and he did ask me to contact Indian customer service to see if I could get them to warranty their obvious defect in design. Hopefully I will be able to get them to do something about it, I do have a good relationship with customer service, they really helped me out when the A team in Vegas screwed up on delivery of my bike and charging me for accessories and not wanting to honor the due bill. I am very glad that I have the dealer do my services but I know a lot of guys do it themselves so I wanted to let everyone know about this issue especially since Indian does not want to do anything about it. I have posted the pictures Gregor gave me of the stripped out plug and the repair.
View attachment 1560 View attachment 1561 View attachment 1562

·
Registered
7,844 Posts
6 oil changes on my 2015 Chieftain with over 26,000 miles, the Dealer has done 4 of them and I the last two. No issues with stripping the threads, it is the tech at El Paso Indian that doesn't know shiiit

>---------> >---------> >--------->

Live Free - Ride Hard - Die Well

·
Registered
404 Posts
It's my understanding that the EP Indian dealership has a new tech, the original one (Gregor) left as I was told. Can anyone confirm this?

·
Registered
2 Posts
After waiting 3 hours for a 5000 miles service the service rep tells me i have to pay them an additional 3 hours labor due to the oil drain plug threads. To top this two weeks later on a road trip to from Houston to Key West the engine blows an exhuast value seal as I'm about to crossing the Mississippi and I lose all compression in the rear cylinder and the bike needs to towed to New Orleans for total engine rebuild. Then I find out that the Los Angeles Indian dealer that sold me the bike never registered my warranty - so far I'm SOL.....

·
Registered
882 Posts
I just picked up my Chieftain on Tuesday from her 5000 mile service and was informed by Gregor at Barnett Indian that when they removed the second drain plug all of the threads came with it and the case needed to be repaired. Gregor told me that there is only about 3 1/2 threads that hold the drain plug in. This is the 9th Indian that this has happened to at Barnett, most of them on their first service mine was the 1st one they have seen happen on the second oil change. This is a $200.00 repair plus parts, Barnett drills out the case and installs a steel insert for a permanent repair, they have had a special jig made to insure that the case is drilled out straight. Indian will not accept this as a warranty claim they say it is the responsibility of the owner for any stripped out fasteners. Barnett did not charge me for the repair (Thank God) but Gregor did say that Mark Barnett is getting tired of eating these repairs and he did ask me to contact Indian customer service to see if I could get them to warranty their obvious defect in design. Hopefully I will be able to get them to do something about it, I do have a good relationship with customer service, they really helped me out when the A team in Vegas screwed up on delivery of my bike and charging me for accessories and not wanting to honor the due bill. I am very glad that I have the dealer do my services but I know a lot of guys do it themselves so I wanted to let everyone know about this issue especially since Indian does not want to do anything about it. I have posted the pictures Gregor gave me of the stripped out plug and the repair.
View attachment 1560 View attachment 1561 View attachment 1562
How large is Gregor's bicep?

·
Registered
191 Posts
Sounds like an incompetant mechanic at Barnett's! I've changed the oil twice so far on my bike and always followed the torque the manufacturer calls out. No problems. Previous bike for over 12 years and no problems with drain plugs... Good to see Gregor has left. Better check with other dealerships to see he hasn't gone there...

Reactions: My2skid

·
Registered
404 Posts
Sounds like an incompetant mechanic at Barnett's! I've changed the oil twice so far on my bike and always followed the torque the manufacturer calls out. No problems. Previous bike for over 12 years and no problems with drain plugs... Good to see Gregor has left. Better check with other dealerships to see he hasn't gone there...
My personal opinion is that Gregor was hands down a BMW guy. He had many years of experience and lots of training in that arena. After talking to him on a couple of occasions, it became obvious that BMW was his bike of preference. He thought Indians were OK with regard to design, build and performance but he did not like dealing with the P/I mother-ship.

The rumor I heard what that he went to a BMW dealership in Las Vegas and that Barnett's moved one of their HD techs over to the Indian shop but I've not been able to confirm that rumor. I've not called nor talked to anyone at that dealership for months as I had a problem with my bike that took months to get fixed and left with a pretty disgusted opinion. There were also issues with service department policies that the store personnel informed me of that I did not care for and found out from talking to one of the Barnett's was not true.

I have not been back to the dealership since getting my bike back. Have thought about going in there to see what is going on in their service department these days but would rather hear the opinions of Indian owners who have had servicing done there since Gregor's departure. One thing I find interesting is that when you look at the dealership web page (which has been updated in recent months) you really don't see anything about their service department. Way back when there was a photo if Gregor in the shop standing in front of some bikes. I always though it was interesting that the bike most visible and apparent was guess what, yes a Beemer with an view of the rear end of an Indian sitting farther in the background. So if the information about Gregor's new home is correct, Indian owners shouldn't be too concerned.

I know the dealership has been selling bikes but I've not seen where any of them have introduced themselves to this site which is puzzling as this is really a great forum for Indian owners to be a part of for educational information purposes. If they are out there I'd like to hear from them.

My apologies for the hijack.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I had the same thing happen when I did my 500 mile initial oil change on my Chieftain #873 (which I bought from Barnett as it happens). The 1st plug came out and went back in nice and smooth. The 2nd took more effort to unscrew, and when I screwed it back in it just kept turning. I couldn't believe it, I worked as a motorcycle mechanic for years and I never stripped a drain plug. I got it back out (with some effort), laid the bike over on it's side on the crash bar and drilled and tapped the hole for an over-size plug from the auto parts store. I figured that Indian wasn't going to warranty a stripped plug, and maybe it was my mistake anyway (also I'm 5 hours from El Paso and was in the school machine shop when it happened). I've had no further problems on subsequent oil changes. Its very interesting to hear that others have had the same problem and I will let Barnett know about my experience.
--- Randall
Same exact thing just happened to me. Good to know there are solutions

·
Bronze member
2,094 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
I've done two oil changes on my bike now and the 15 ft/lbs torque setting the Indian recommends still seems like too much. I use a Snap-On inch/pound dial torque wrench and I apply 125 inch/pounds (12.1 ft/lbs). The plugs are plenty snug with no leaks and no stripping.
125 inch pounds is 10 5/12 foot pounds. Not criticizing anyone just putting correct information out for conversions. Torque differences between foot and inch pounds are the same as measurements. 1 foot pound equals 12 inch pounds so 10 foot pounds equals 120 inch pounds, 12 foot pounds equals 144 inch pounds etc.

·
KHAOS
2019 Pearl White & Star Silver Roadmaster
598 Posts
I've been to that dealer in LA, got a real horror story; I won't bore you with it but they did not do me any favor.
After waiting 3 hours for a 5000 miles service the service rep tells me i have to pay them an additional 3 hours labor due to the oil drain plug threads. To top this two weeks later on a road trip to from Houston to Key West the engine blows an exhuast value seal as I'm about to crossing the Mississippi and I lose all compression in the rear cylinder and the bike needs to towed to New Orleans for total engine rebuild. Then I find out that the Los Angeles Indian dealer that sold me the bike never registered my warranty - so far I'm SOL.....

·
Registered
49 Posts
Like simplesam, I torque the plugs to 12 ft lbs and have had no problems. A local shop over torqued one of my plugs once. Just ruined the crush washer. Threads are still fine.

61 - 80 of 121 Posts