Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
41 - 60 of 121 Posts

·
Texas Hill Country
4,652 Posts
Well there is a crush washer there so it does take a little torque to mash it.
I use Permatex black gasket sealer on my threads. Not much more than finger tight on the plug.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Arrrhg! I was fretting about doing my own oil change for this reason/issue alone. I had the shop do the 500, 5k, and 10k. I just did my 15k and I bet I don't get another without a repair.

But the stupid tech at my beloved dealer screwed me. When taking the plugs out It became clear that one of them was way over torqued. I had to use my torque wrench (because it's longer and has more leverage) to get one of them out.

Then later I realized why they did it. There was no crush washer on that one plug. My guess is that the tech thought he would just crank it down to compensate for the missing washer. My theory.

Anyway, when I put them back in the one went on nice and tightened to the proper torque. The "now bad" one spun longer than felt right and I didn't take it all the way to torque. One of those things you can feel in your gut.

Now I'm faced with "who's fault is it". No leaks but I'm not happy. I'll be having a talk with the guys at the shop.

·
Texas Hill Country
4,652 Posts
Oil pan threads are incredibly easy to muck up.
I'm not a metallurgist but my experience wrenching has left me with a few balled up situations over the years.
My old FL had over sized drain plugs on both the oil tank and transmission lube drop.

The oil pan threads are a whole lot softer than the plug threads. They are also pretty shallow, considering the diameter of the plug.

I believe that there is some interaction between dissimilar metals that contributes to the ease in which this happens too.

When I went to Auto Zone and found a whole display rack of over sized oil plugs I realized I was not blazing virgin ground.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I change my own oil. My 2014 Vintage never was in a dealer for 15,600 miles. I will do the same with my 2015 Chieftain. A Victory Dealer put 1 too many qts in on a free 500 mile service on my 2012 CR LE. A HD Dealer left all 3 drain plugs loose after service on my 2010 FLHTC.

·
Registered
546 Posts
I did my first oil change at 500 miles bolth plugs came out ok,then I read about the drain plugs stripping out. I kept thinking I hope I didn't over tighten them ,I knew that I didn't. I used a stubby ratchet to tighten them up .last weekend I did my 2500 oil change both plugs came out just fine.i cleaned the threads on the plugs and case real good put a dab of anti seize on the threads put the new washers on and just snugged them up.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have a Victory Highball that this just happened too. Had the dealership do the 500 mile service and I was just about to do the 5000 when bam... Plug just spins. Won't tighten or loosen. Dealer torqued it on to tight is my guess. Took it to them. Its in the shop now. They better not charge me for it. I'll raise hell.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Time to do a 5000 mile oil change on my Chief. I had the Dealer, Ft Hood Indian, do the 500 mile checkup and oil change. Ready to start doing my own now.

So I read all the oil change threads and watch the vids to see if there is anything unusual. Looked like standard stuff. Got all the tools out and went to loosen oil drain plugs.

WTH! The outside plug is frozen. Completely. I want to know how the first oil change was done and this plug reinstalled so tight, after hearing about how easy it is to strip the plug. ????

Makes me wonder if the first oil change was even done.

Any ideas on how to loosen the plug? Short of an impact wrench?

And why are the 2 plugs side by side?

TIA. Jefe

·
Founding member / Distinguished
2,120 Posts
... Any ideas on how to loosen the plug? Short of an impact wrench?

TIA. Jefe
You can try heating up the aluminum of the crankcase around the plugs with an oxy-acetylene or propane torch; the aluminum expands at a different rate than the steel plugs and this will often allow them to break loose. Use a cheater to lengthen the handle on your allen wrench for more leverage. Be prepared for the idea that you may have to tap the case for an over-size plug. If you want to use a hammer impact, or you need better access to the drain hole for re-tapping you can set the Chief over onto the highway bar and it will sit there at an angle; I've done this.

The inner plug drains the oil compartment and the outer drains the semi-dry sump.

Good luck and may the Force be with you!
--- Randall

·
Registered
336 Posts
Time to do a 5000 mile oil change on my Chief. I had the Dealer, Ft Hood Indian, do the 500 mile checkup and oil change. Ready to start doing my own now.

So I read all the oil change threads and watch the vids to see if there is anything unusual. Looked like standard stuff. Got all the tools out and went to loosen oil drain plugs.

WTH! The outside plug is frozen. Completely. I want to know how the first oil change was done and this plug reinstalled so tight, after hearing about how easy it is to strip the plug. ????

Makes me wonder if the first oil change was even done.

Any ideas on how to loosen the plug? Short of an impact wrench?

TIA. Jefe
I would not touch it, take it to the dealer and ask them WTH.

·
Gold Supporting Member
3,094 Posts
I've done two oil changes on my bike now and the 15 ft/lbs torque setting the Indian recommends still seems like too much. I use a Snap-On inch/pound dial torque wrench and I apply 125 inch/pounds (12.1 ft/lbs). The plugs are plenty snug with no leaks and no stripping.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
2,120 Posts
Did my first DIY at 15,000 and one was way over torqued. ...not happy
That is why I work on my own stuff. At least if something goes wrong I know whose fault it is. If you find a good, honest, mechanic you should treat him like gold, you should ask after his children, and remember his birthday. An honest, competent mechanic is almost as valuable as a good family doctor
--- Randall.

·
Registered
159 Posts
THanks Randall. Thats probably a bit much for my limited mechanical talents though. Looks like I'll let the dealer handle this one. If they muck it up then they can fix it. I'll make sure they dont overtorque so I can do the next one. Good to hear from you. Hope school and your students are being good to you. Jefe

You can try heating up the aluminum of the crankcase around the plugs with an oxy-acetylene or propane torch; the aluminum expands at a different rate than the steel plugs and this will often allow them to break loose. Use a cheater to lengthen the handle on your allen wrench for more leverage. Be prepared for the idea that you may have to tap the case for an over-size plug. If you want to use a hammer impact, or you need better access to the drain hole for re-tapping you can set the Chief over onto the highway bar and it will sit there at an angle; I've done this.

The inner plug drains the oil compartment and the outer drains the semi-dry sump.

Good luck and may the Force be with you!
--- Randall

·
Founding member / platinum
9,888 Posts
Oh Indian had to have a fancy design then? Haha...simplicity is sometimes the best.
The whole Indian Scout engine is a completely new and different style of engine that is capable of much more than it's current configuration.
Right now it is being used on a special built Pikes Peak Victory bike, the engine is putting out more than twice the Scout horsepower.
Victory unveils Pikes Peak race bike by Roland Sands [w/video]
The crankcase configuration is just one of the new innovations.

By the way, the Scout is not the only motorcycle to use the two drain plug crankcases.
Even my Silverado Pickup has two drain plugs.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Took it in for oil Change and service. I warned the service mgr about the tight drain plugs. When I picked it up I asked if the tech had any problems. He said he had asked tech and no, no problem at all.Getting it on a stand at eye level and a better tool makes a difference he said. I checked the plugs and filter when I got home. All 3 were sufficiently tight but easy to unscrew. So I get the next oil change.

The service magr also had tech loosen bars and invited me into shop to show where I wanted the for more pullback. Took less than 10 minutes and he did not charge for it. I thought that was very nice. And since an inspection sticker is no longer required in Texas they removed the sticker plate which cleans up the rear fender nicely. Again, no charge. They even cleaned 2 big bug splats off the windshield. Did not expect that.

Joey is the service manager and he has the right attitude. Very professional and willing to do a bit extra. I felt so good I had to buy and Indian shop shirt.

Kudos to Dream Cycles/ Indian of Round Rock, Austin Texas and to Joey for a pleasant experience. Jefe

41 - 60 of 121 Posts