Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Horseman of the Apocalypse & all around great guy!
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, all.

I very recently placed an order for a 2017 Chief Vintage and while working with the dealer to get all the options I wanted, he noted that the oil cooler was a new option for 2017. It's a $300 part, but since I'm planning to put a DMC Tomahawk SE on this bike, I figured the oil cooler made sense. But I'm a little perplexed why the oil cooler would be an option now if it wasn't in the past. Did the T111 change for 2017? Has Indian been having issues with the engine? I'm assuming it can't be that... or else they'd have made the oil cooler standard? Just seemed a little weird to me, but I'm brand new to Indians so I know I still have a lot to learn.

Cheers,

~ Greg ~

·
Registered
808 Posts
Just the company playing to people's fears about over-heating. Think they've likely figured out that it's not really necessary so why give it away when a bunch of the buyers will pay extra for it.
JMHO

·
Registered
974 Posts
I might be wrong, but I think they removed the oil cooler from some models starting in 2016 and made it optional.

·
Registered
808 Posts
The Darkhorse was the 1st I recall w/o it. Now it seems to be on only the faring equipped bikes. Not sure about the Chieftain Darkhorse however.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Oil coolers were standard on 14 and 15 Vintage models. Someone high up on the totem pole decided the non fairing bikes got enough air and didn't need them. Also Vintage models dropped from $20,999 to $19,999 in 2016 and that is one option they deleted. Had it on my 14 Vintage but not on my 16, really can't tell the difference. I would pass on it and save the money. You can always add it later if you think you really need it. And as said, if the Indian engineers thought it was needed they wouldn't have deleted it.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
Indians. LOTS of Indians
4,009 Posts
Hi, all.

I very recently placed an order for a 2017 Chief Vintage and while working with the dealer to get all the options I wanted, he noted that the oil cooler was a new option for 2017. It's a $300 part, but since I'm planning to put a DMC Tomahawk SE on this bike, I figured the oil cooler made sense. But I'm a little perplexed why the oil cooler would be an option now if it wasn't in the past. Did the T111 change for 2017? Has Indian been having issues with the engine? I'm assuming it can't be that... or else they'd have made the oil cooler standard? Just seemed a little weird to me, but I'm brand new to Indians so I know I still have a lot to learn.
~
smh ... you do know they removed this on 16 Classics, DH s.. and .. I believe Vintages?

·
Banned
5,398 Posts
This, with the standard driving lights, was why the 2014's and 2015's were in such high demand when the 2016's came out. Personally I think its Indians combination of their austerity program and the ability to now charge for extra's such as an oil cooler.
I noticed that reading HD's brochure and specs that HD kinda scatters their oil coolers around varying with each model. And then thats not guaranteed. One trike has one that you would think would not and then the other doesn't.

I wonder if Lockhart or any other manufacturer makes one for an Indian (?) Its the Indian fittings that are the problem.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Originally all the engines were all chrome. Chrome holds in a lot of heat and doesn't dissipate it as well as non chrome engines. I'm sure that had something to do with having them originally.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Very much not a new option, not sure who told you that.
I added an oil cooler to my 16 springfield as an option.

·
Bronze member
1,257 Posts
Bet you could get a cheaper and better cooler from JAGG. They made the one I used on Gypsy. It was an oil cooler for NACAR valve trains. Needs a little to make it look pretty but works like a champ.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Spoke to my dealer about them when I was perusing through the line-up before buying my DH. Didn't discuss any reasons about why Indian removed them. Just the fact that if I wanted one and was planning on driving in long distances with extreme temperatures that I could add one on for the cost of the part. Dealer didn't have any in stock and I didn't want one anyways. But they've always been available to add-on, as far as what I gathered, to the DH/Chief/Vintage/Springfield bikes.

·
Registered
7,994 Posts
Glad my 2015 Chieftain came with a oil cooler. I have over 26,000 miles on it with many days of riding of 8 to 9 hours of riding in 100+ degree while doing cross country trips.

>---------> >---------> >--------->

Live Free - Ride Hard - Die Well

·
Registered
808 Posts
Interesting; the first year Polaris introduced the Indian line, this was one of the features they bragged about. Leather seats, oil cooler, blah, blah. Things the other guys didn't have.

A lot has changed since 2014. Seats are kind of leather, oil cooler kind of comes standard, on some models.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I might be wrong, but I think they removed the oil cooler from some models starting in 2016 and made it optional.
Hi, all.

Cheers,

~ Greg ~
Hi Greg:

2015 was the last year the oil cooler was standard on the Vintage - also a couple of minor chrome highlights were removed after 15 (Brake Fluid Reservoir was one) . Good match to have Oil Cooler with your sidecar IMHO - you can see Indian's chromed oil cover accessory on my pictures.

Per previous forum posts, the Oil Cooler was removed as a standard feature as Polaris did not see the need after 2 years of production experience. Believe it was provided initially as a "better safe than sorry" - given the TS 111 was absolutely new. The TS 111 has not changed.

·
Horseman of the Apocalypse & all around great guy!
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
smh ... you do know they removed this on 16 Classics, DH s.. and .. I believe Vintages?
No. I did not know that... which is why I asked the question in the first place.

Hi Greg:

2015 was the last year the oil cooler was standard on the Vintage - also a couple of minor chrome highlights were removed after 15 (Brake Fluid Reservoir was one) . Good match to have Oil Cooler with your sidecar IMHO - you can see Indian's chromed oil cover accessory on my pictures.

Per previous forum posts, the Oil Cooler was removed as a standard feature as Polaris did not see the need after 2 years of production experience. Believe it was provided initially as a "better safe than sorry" - given the TS 111 was absolutely new. The TS 111 has not changed.
Gotcha. Thanks for summarizing some of the other posts - I now know it's not a "new" option, just something that's available now. Either way, I don't regret having it added since I will be using it with a sidecar. No sense spending that sort of cash and not spending the $300, I suppose. Can't take it with you and all that, eh? :)

Cheers,

~ Greg ~

·
Banned
5,398 Posts
It's 105 in South Dakota today, and my cruise is set to 75mph. I'm glad I have an oil cooler. May not cool much, but it helps. Damn it's hot today. 93 in Deadwood. Had to get a sarsaparilla or two.
Tonight try a Captain Morgans Spiced Rum with cream soda. It goes over good with the ladies. Ten or twelve of those and you are ready for serious moonlight sleeping bag action

·
Bronze member
1,707 Posts
I am sure there is some cost saving function at play here, but I am guessing that they discovered after more testing that the bikes didn't need the cooler.

When they first came out with the Victory 92in. motor, it had 6 quarts of oil in it and a huge cooler. The cooler was downsized in 2002 (by 1/2) and the case was narrowed and capacity dropped to 5qts in 2003. They just realized they didn't need that much oil or cooling capacity to meet EPA regs and keep the bikes running well. Even the touring Victory bikes only take 4.5 qts now.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts