Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2018 chieftain Limited has 31000 mies and is using a quart of oil in less than 1,000 miles. It is not smoking or leaking. Dealer is telling me this is normal, I say BS, antone else having this problem??

·
Rider
1,182 Posts
Not normal for anything for that matter to use a quart in 1000 or less.
The 111's just dont burn thru oil.
Somethings up.

·
Registered
27 Posts
That's a lot of oil in 1000 miles. It's hard to believe there would not be smoke. These bikes are notoriously hard to measure the oil level, you positive it isn't a measurement problem?

·
Founding member
1,505 Posts
If you are putting a quart of oil in every 1,000 miles and you don't have oil dripping out of your air filter then you are either burning oil or leaking oil. Question is: Is it just the last 1,000 miles that you have discovered this problem? Or have you been adding oil for quite some time now? If you've been adding a quart every 1,000 for say the last 5,000 miles then YES something is wrong.

·
Bronze member
5,097 Posts
It's not normal, and these motors generally do not drip oil nor do they burn it.

I'd go with @geewago about knowing how many times you've had to top it up over a lot of riding.
Second question is, 'How do you know when and how much to add?

The other thing these motors are famous for is the frustration of the dip stick. Checking oil level is a matter of a very precise technique - motor hot, idle for so long, turn off for so long, that kind of thing - and the right amount of fairy dust. Many people find that if they top up the motor according to the dip stick they overfill it.

Too much oil means high levels of vapour being sucked out through the vent system and it soaks the air filter element and starts dripping - also mentioned by geewago.

The solution is this. Drain the oil. Fill with the exact amount recommended. That's it. Take no notice of the dip stick. It's the Golden Labrador of bike parts and will tell you it's hungry all day. It's not.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Yep the checking is VERY important My deaker ship called Polaris and they said to check it correctly ride 6 to 7 miles go back home or wherever keep bike upright at an idle for one to two minutes then check oil WITHOUT letting bike lean so it will take two people or a stand just to check the oil. manual does not state it this way.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts