Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Bronze member
2,011 Posts
Nice video but he didn’t actually say amount of oil, other than mention the 4 quarts with the kit.

Doing it on kickstand like that make sure to balance bike upright a short time.

It will be about 3 qt + 1/2 to 3/4. Go slow toward end of fill.
Start engine before using final bottle (Replacing dipstick between!).

I like to partially fill the oil filter too, before putting it on.

Also be aware there can be a horrible sound before the oil circulates when starting engine for the first time.

And if you don’t see oil to the very top of the dipstick, where the word FULL is, don’t worry about it.

Reactions: CCounty

·
Registered
16 Posts
I too have found it odd that they don't specify amount, owner's manual as well as this video simply say "3-4 quarts." My research indicates 3 1/2 should do the trick, but like has already been stated, I would do 3 then start, then add 1/4 at a time.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Nice video but he didn’t actually say amount of oil, other than mention the 4 quarts with the kit.

Doing it on kickstand like that make sure to balance bike upright a short time.

It will be about 3 qt + 1/2 to 3/4. Go slow toward end of fill.
Start engine before using final bottle (Replacing dipstick between!).

I like to partially fill the oil filter too, before putting it on.

Also be aware there can be a horrible sound before the oil circulates when starting engine for the first time.

And if you don’t see oil to the very top of the dipstick, where the word FULL is, don’t worry about it.
its supposed to be 3.8 litres (quarts) if you replaced the filter but you’re better off putting in 3 and a half then adjusting up after running it for a minute. I usually do about 3 checks to get it to the line and double check its staying at the line.

·
Rider
1,168 Posts
Mine is parked upright in the chock when I change it. I have found that it works well (and avoids oil oveflowing) to put in 3 quarts and then running it for 10 or 15 seconds to fill the filter etc, Then it usually takes another 1/2 quart. I then check it again the next day and add maybe another 1/4 quart. It has yet to take 4 quarts even with the new filter.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts