Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Bronze member
2,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK gang,today I turned the 25,000 mile mark,hence it was time for another oil and filter change!! Except this time,after it was completely drained [I had it on my lift where it was perfectly level] I payed close attention to exactly how much oil I put back in,started it up,let it run for 15 minutes,shut it off, let it set for 1 minute, THEN checked it and it was just a tad below the full mark.Then I checked it again an hour or so later to see what the reading was on the dip stick and it was approximately 1/2 inch or so above the add oil mark.The amount of oil I put in was exactly 5 qts, and 16 oz., or 5 ,1/2 qts.,which is what the manual tells ya to put in.

I then checked it again approximately 1 hour later when it was still on the side stand ,but placed a piece of 2x4 wood under the side stand so as to get it alittle straighter. [ya don't wanna go any higher then that cause ya risk it falling over on the other side] Anyways, this time,the reading on the dip stick was approximately 1/4 inch over the add oil mark.So if that's what you're seeing,you're OK!! If not,add only enough to bring the level up to the 1/4 inch over the add oil mark and ya should be good to go.Questions??

Now I did this because there has been so much confusion about just what the level on the dip stick would be right after shutting the motor off,and then again after the motor was cooled down,or cold.Anyways,I hope this cleared up some of the confusion.I know you guys had me confused too,lol,hence the reason I performed this little experiment. Dummy Dave!!!

·
Registered
5,917 Posts
Right on, the exact volume of oil is by the book. The dipstick timing and temps, not quite as clear.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Absent an obvious oil leak or oil burning, there is simply no reason to add any oil above the factory recommences 5.5 quarts, no matter what anyone says is the right level on the dipstick. There are simply too many variables at play. Even if you managed to burn off a half-quart between changes, five quarts of oil left is fine. Anything more than 5.5 quarts you risk churning the oil or blowing out too much oil through the A/C.

Baffling to me why this persists as a topic. Put in a total of 5.5 quarts (4.5, run, then the last quart) and then ride it for 5,000 miles.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
i like to go a little/tad below say 1/4 qt less. room for expansion an no risk of over fill so don't get blow by. an it gives me a little to add about 3000 miles when i check it.

·
Bronze member
2,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I got a buddy who owns one of those Can Ams ,also made by Polaris,and that machine uses the same procedure to check the oil as the Indian does.

·
Bronze member
2,126 Posts
I dumped mine when I got back from my 5700 mile west coast trip. At 4500 I had to add 8oz to get it back reading on the stick cold on the stand. As long as I show 1/2 to 1” on the stick I roll with it. I finished my trip and checked it every morning as I stated cold on the stand. I changed it following day when I got home. Stick read about 1/2”. I poured what was in it into pan and then repoured into qts. I came out with 5qts 9 Oz. I’m gonna stick with the cold on the stand. Lol like I’ve done my whole life

·
Rider
1,031 Posts
I put in 5.5 qts (I use the indian kits), change the oil and put the cap back on. Jump on and ride.

Ride it till is says to change oil, and repeat.

--
Gordon

·
Bronze member
2,126 Posts
@fixdent i believe in the same to a point. Local riding 2 to 300 mile days absolutely I never check mine either. On the road 2 up loaded down with some days consisting of anywhere from 3 to 900 mile days plus heat I check daily.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
I got a buddy who owns one of those Can Ams ,also made by Polaris,and that machine uses the same procedure to check the oil as the Indian does.
CanAm is built and owned by BRP (sea doo etc and are assembled in Canada. Polaris is not connected to them
‘Mark

·
Silver member
3,839 Posts
My goodness.... I thought the buzzards wouldn't have left anything to beat on, on this dead horse. Must be a zombie :eek:

·
Registered
829 Posts
Must be a slow news day! I went 7500 miles between oil changes this last time on the advice of the service manager. No issues. Was about a quart low. He said better than be over filled. I use the Indian oil change kit.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
You are correct.And Bombardier is owned by Polaris. I have two friends that own Cam Ams!!!
And I have two friends who own Lear Jets.

Life in a parallel universe of alternate facts can. be such a happy place for some.

Bombardier Recreational Products was spun off by Bombardier (based in Montreal, Canada) about 15 years ago to pursue the recreational vehicle market while its parent stayed in rail and aircraft. It is largely owned by private equity partners and some family members.

Let's move on Dave. Go for a ride.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I don't have a dog in this hunt, but I was curious. So I did some googling, the only thing that came up was actually an old April fools joke on a can-am board about Polaris buying BRP. Maybe it originated there? #shrug. Like I said, I don't even care, just thought I'd add that for anyone that is interested.

·
Bronze member
3,650 Posts
You are correct.And Bombardier is owned by Polaris. I have two friends that own Cam Ams!!!

Ummmm no not even close. That is a common retarded concept that a lot of Harley guys have as well.

Are you confusing Can -Ams with the Polaris Slingshot.

Bombardier | Home

Polaris ATV RANGER RZR General Snowmobile Slingshot | Official Website

Can-Ams are made from a company in Canada called BRP

About Us

BRP Inc. (Bombardier Recreational Products) is a Canadian company making various vehicles. Once part of Bombardier Inc., it was founded in 1942 as L'Auto-Neige Bombardier Limitée (Bombardier Snowmobile Limited) by Joseph-Armand Bombardier at Valcourt in the Eastern Townships, Quebec.

In 2003, Bombardier Inc. sold its Recreational Products Division to a group of investors: Bain Capital (50%), the Bombardier family (35%), and the Caisse de dépôt et placement du Québec (15%).

The newly formed independent company, named Bombardier Recreational Products, included all the activities started 60 years earlier by its founder. As of October 6, 2009, it had about 5,500 employees;[1] its revenues in 2007 were above US$2.5 billion. BRP has manufacturing facilities in five countries: Canada, the United States (Wisconsin, Illinois, North Carolina and Arkansas), Mexico, Finland, and Austria. The company's products are sold in more than 100 countries, some of which have their own direct-sales network.[2]

BRP has a long legacy of innovation and has multiple brands: Ski-Doo (snowmobiles), Can-Am motorcycles (ATVs and BRP Can-Am Spyder and Ryker three-wheeled vehicles), Sea-Doo (personal watercraft), Lynx (snowmobile), Evinrude Outboard Motors, and Rotax. The Ski-Doo personal snowmobile brand is so iconic, especially in Canada, that it was listed in 17th place on the CBC's The Greatest Canadian Invention list in 2007

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.