Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Indian FTR 1200 S
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Figured I might post this for anyone else who may be changing their oil on the FTR for the first time and hopefully save them some headache, as well as I just need to vent regarding my $80 mistake...

First off, that sight glass sucks.

Now that that's out of the way, shame on me because I misunderstood Indain's oil change instructions. For anyone else reading, I now know you are supposed to add three quarts of oil, let your bike warm up, and then proceed to top off the oil. I however thought you were supposed to fill it to the bottom of the sight glass, which should be about 3 qts, then warm it up, then top off the oil.

Well needless to say, 3.5 - 3.75 qts in and still nothing showing in the sight glass, even when I stand the bike upright, I decided to stop and start the bike then. Of course, overfilled it. The oil now completely filled the sightglass.

I tried a turkey baster to get the excess oil out, but of course it didnt fit... so fumble fingers here tried to slowly remove the drain plug. When I wanted to loosen it up just enough to get a slow leaking stream out, of course that doesnt happen. Instead I drop the drain plug into my cup of now burning hot oil, and a good 2-3 qts come out before my scolded fingers can find the plug and put it back in.

So a trip to my local autozone... I also didnt know that the 15w60 oil indian uses is pretty much their own and autozone did not have any other brands in stock...

Please take it from me, have patience doing the oil change, STOP at 3 qts and warm the bike up and then ever so slowly add a little bit more of this rarer than thou oil until it finally makes its grand appearance in that useless sight glass...

Rant over.

·
Rider
1,192 Posts
Yup. Did my first oil change today and noticed the oil not raising in the sight glass as I poured. Noticed pouring a little in then starting it for about 30 seconds and shutting it off helped it register faster.

·
Rider
620 Posts
Figured I might post this for anyone else who may be changing their oil on the FTR for the first time and hopefully save them some headache, as well as I just need to vent regarding my $80 mistake...

Now that that's out of the way, shame on me because I misunderstood Indain's oil change instructions. For anyone else reading, I now know you are supposed to add three quarts of oil, let your bike warm up, and then proceed to top off the oil. I however thought you were supposed to fill it to the bottom of the sight glass, which should be about 3 qts, then warm it up, then top off the oil.

Well needless to say, 3.5 - 3.75 qts in and still nothing showing in the sight glass, even when I stand the bike upright, I decided to stop and start the bike then. Of course, overfilled it. The oil now completely filled the sightglass.

I tried a turkey baster to get the excess oil out, but of course it didnt fit... so fumble fingers here tried to slowly remove the drain plug. When I wanted to loosen it up just enough to get a slow leaking stream out, of course that doesnt happen. Instead I drop the drain plug into my cup of now burning hot oil, and a good 2-3 qts come out before my scolded fingers can find the plug and put it back in.

So a trip to my local autozone... I also didnt know that the 15w60 oil indian uses is pretty much their own and autozone did not have any other brands in stock...

Please take it from me, have patience doing the oil change, STOP at 3 qts and warm the bike up and then ever so slowly add a little bit more of this rarer than thou oil until it finally makes its grand appearance in that useless sight glass...

Rant over.
FYI, you don't need to use Indian's oil. Period. Find a motorcycle oil in the weight you want, and use it. Hell you can use car oil too if you want but you have to make sure it doesn't carry the additives they put in it ( I forget which ones ) but they absolutely won't work with a wet clutch that we use.

The only difference between all the motorcycle brand oils out there is the same difference how it is with cars, how they manufacture and engineer it. If you find that the Suzuki oil is in stock and it's in your weight, isn't going to matter other than how it's engineered, much like how i won't use anything but Mobile 1 in all my cars, because no one engineers their oil as good as they do. If the oil works with your kind of engine use it. Like TS111 bikes are wet clutch, use an oil that works with wet clutch. Best brand? The one you like the best.

·
Rider
620 Posts
That is an inexpensive brain fart. Be glad you are not one of the guys that overtorqued and stripped their drain plug, a far more expensive but common mistake with garage oil changes.
That would suuuuuuuuuuuuck. Worse I ever did was on my car, I got 3 quarts in until I noticed oil pooling up near my feet. Forgot to put the damn drain plug back in lol. Had to have a friend come pick me up so I could go buy more oil LOL

·
Registered
2019 Indian FTR 1200 S
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
FYI, you don't need to use Indian's oil. Period. Find a motorcycle oil in the weight you want, and use it. Hell you can use car oil too if you want but you have to make sure it doesn't carry the additives they put in it ( I forget which ones ) but they absolutely won't work with a wet clutch that we use.

The only difference between all the motorcycle brand oils out there is the same difference how it is with cars, how they manufacture and engineer it. If you find that the Suzuki oil is in stock and it's in your weight, isn't going to matter other than how it's engineered, much like how i won't use anything but Mobile 1 in all my cars, because no one engineers their oil as good as they do. If the oil works with your kind of engine use it. Like TS111 bikes are wet clutch, use an oil that works with wet clutch. Best brand? The one you like the best.
If anyone has any alternatives to Indian's 15W-60, I'd be interested. Only one I found online was Amsoil and my local auto parts place doesnt sell it. I can buy it online but the price for 4 qts is only $10 less than the oil change kit Indian sells, and the kit includes the washers and filter so that's the better deal to me. For today I was just hoping I could find anything local in 15W-60 just to cover my snafu but they had nothing in that weight.

·
Rider
1,192 Posts
I just used redline 20w60 in mine. Not something you’ll find locally though. Or cheap for that matter.
Bought a 12 pack on amazon for $124. Think they are $15 a piece sold by the quart. About $10 and change when bought at that price for the dozen.

·
Bronze member
2,011 Posts
At least you didn’t leave the dipstick out and start the engine up!

You need a small piece of hose for the turkey baster.

·
Bronze member
2,733 Posts
A vacuum bleeder (like you use for bleeding brakes) is good for removing excess oil...I discovered this when I screwed up my Challenger oil change...trying to watch TV in the garage and change oil. We’ve all been there.

·
Registered
190 Posts

Rant over.
I done the same thing last week. 👌

·
Registered
425 Posts
At least you didn’t leave the dipstick out and start the engine up!

You need a small piece of hose for the turkey baster.
Holly Crap Batman.... Left out the dipstick on my Scout once !!!! Oil everywhere to include the ceiling !!!! Had the engine off in a second or two, but the damage was done.... Now that's a mistake I will only make once lol !!!!

·
Registered
2019 Indian FTR 1200 S
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Holly Crap Batman.... Left out the dipstick on my Scout once !!!! Oil everywhere to include the ceiling !!!! Had the engine off in a second or two, but the damage was done.... Now that's a mistake I will only make once lol !!!!
I was 1 second away from doing this as well. The worst part would have been I was leaning over the seat standing the bike upright trying to look at the sight glass. Was just about to start it to see what the oil level would have adjusted too once it started running and then I noticed the cap was still off. Would have shot up right in my face. I guess my experience could have been worse haha.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
2019 Roadmaster matte black and gray
3,108 Posts
Been there. I feel your anguish.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts