Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Wow, thanks guys!
there is a procedure to check correct level I believe mine is burning some between changes confird by dealer changing and checking and after 3000 miles a what down. You have to warm it up for a few miles then let Sit a minute upright then check dip stick. It works everytime on my 15 RM.but when changing don't put in more than 5.5 in the old runs I think the new ones are 6 check manual. The dip stick isn't worthless just a pia
To get a good reading

·
Registered
14 Posts
I am changing the oil on my 2015 Indian Chief. I followed all directions but after the 4 1/2 quarts went in and I ran the motor, I thought it would just take one more quart totaling 5 1/2. I'm up to 5 8/10 quarts and it is still not full with bike upright, am I doing something wrong, it seems like a lot of oil?
Thanks,
Greg
I always use the oil kit from Indian and it is perfect amount is

·
Registered
381 Posts
Always check oil when hot as oil expands with heat.
If overfilled siphon some out, it’s happened to me as the clean oil is almost impossible to read on the dip stick also don’t use the drain plug, too messy.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am changing the oil on my 2015 Indian Chief. I followed all directions but after the 4 1/2 quarts went in and I ran the motor, I thought it would just take one more quart totaling 5 1/2. I'm up to 5 8/10 quarts and it is still not full with bike upright, am I doing something wrong, it seems like a lot of oil?
Thanks,
Greg
when i changed mine i had hard time too but if you start it and let run few minutes you have to check it within 1.5 minutes or it will show low

·
Registered
228 Posts
when i changed mine i had hard time too but if you start it and let run few minutes you have to check it within 1.5 minutes or it will show low
Just to add to the confusion, the shop manual says, after running, wait for 1 - 2 minutes before checking. My owners manual says wait 1 minute before checking, and if you're over 3 minutes, start over. I wait 1.5 minutes and am done before 3. I've never had to add oil between changes except when I required a quart,and that had to be Yamalube. I surmised the Indian shop which had done that oil change and service had failed to add the final quart. That's the only time I let a shop change my oil.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Just to add to the confusion, the shop manual says, after running, wait for 1 - 2 minutes before checking. My owners manual says wait 1 minute before checking, and if you're over 3 minutes, start over. I wait 1.5 minutes and am done before 3. I've never had to add oil between changes except when I required a quart,and that had to be Yamalube. I surmised the Indian shop which had done that oil change and service had failed to add the final quart. That's the only time I let a shop change my oil.
I do all my own maintenance. I always get very close to 5 1/2 quarts out when I change it. That's why I never check it. Just change it and go.... These bikes are the best bikes I've ever owned.. bar none...

·
Registered
228 Posts
I do all my own maintenance. I always get very close to 5 1/2 quarts out when I change it. That's why I never check it. Just change it and go.... These bikes are the best bikes I've ever owned.. bar none...
Agreed. My 2014 Vintage is the best bike I've ever ridden in my 50+ years of riding. I cannot imagine ever getting rid of it.

·
Registered
61 Posts
ok, this is weird. So now should I drain some oil out, I'm at about 2/10 of a quart under 6 quarts and the oil is not up on the dipstick?
Using your measuring method(10ths) you are about 9 ounces overfilled-take off the filter , drain, then measure what comes out- bet you are close enough.

41 - 54 of 54 Posts