Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am changing the oil on my 2015 Indian Chief. I followed all directions but after the 4 1/2 quarts went in and I ran the motor, I thought it would just take one more quart totaling 5 1/2. I'm up to 5 8/10 quarts and it is still not full with bike upright, am I doing something wrong, it seems like a lot of oil?
Thanks,
Greg

·
Registered
134 Posts
Just follow the directions and you should be fine if your bike doesn't leak or use oil.
Getting the oil to register on the dipstick can be tricky at times. The first time I checked the oil on my 2014 Chieftain, I overfilled it by 1 1/2 quarts because the oil wasn't showing on the dipstick. I dumped out 7 quarts of oil.....
Put in the 4 1/2 quarts, run it a few minutes then dump in the last quart. The oil may or may not register on the stick but you still know it is in there.
Got to have faith with these 111's.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are you saying leave it alone and ride it with 6 1/2 quarts without it registering on the dipstick?

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok, this is weird. So now should I drain some oil out, I'm at about 2/10 of a quart under 6 quarts and the oil is not up on the dipstick?

·
Bronze member
1,842 Posts
the oil is not up on the dipstick
My Scout is the same way, something about the semi dry sump Indian uses.
I think the level must be checked quickly after the engine is ran.
Takes time to pull the dipstick out, wipe it off, reinsert and pull again.

Like everyone is saying here, only use up to the stated amount.
You only adjust up to 5.5 quarts (for Chief), so a little less can be OK.

·
Registered
504 Posts
There is an Indian YouTube confirming this. AS long as the oil reaches the bottom line of your dipstick you’re good. As others have said, run at 4 1/2 quarts for 3 minutes then add the last quart, no more or you are overfilling.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
4,035 Posts
After you put in the last Qt. take it for a 10 minute ride and then check the oil with the bike standing up. Works every time. Oil level should be between add and full.

·
Rider
617 Posts
After you put in the last Qt. take it for a 10 minute ride and then check the oil with the bike standing up. Works every time. Oil level should be between add and full.
This right here. Someone had did some test and found that Indian's own advice in the book for checking the oil while on the stand was wrong. So I do this every time I change the oil. Put what I can in without overflowing, turn bike on, let warm up for a couple minutes to really get the oil in there, take it for a ride around town. Come home, put the rest in, and because why not, **** it and go for another ride.

·
Rider
863 Posts
Indian and the dipstick LIE! Put in 5.5 quarts as others have said as long as it does not leak or blow oil you are fine.

YES, you will need to remove any oil over the 5.5 quarts you have put in. As stated by others you will have trouble with blowing oil out where it should not.

In fact, take a hacksaw and cut the dipstick off and throw away the stub it's that useful.....(sarcasm)

·
Bronze member
2,745 Posts
All I can say is,I've been in this racket now for the past 65 years of my life and was TAUGHT to ALWAYS check oil "COLD" ,with the vehicle parked as level as possible,and that oil level should be as close to the full mark as possible without over filling it.And now, that's what I've been doing on my Indian too.
So my question is?? Why would ya have an oil dip stick,MARKED with full and low marks stamped right on it,then tell ya not to go by those marks?? Granted,maybe I'm not the brightest light in the sky,but this makes no sense to me!!
Anyways,I've been checking my oil just like I was taught,and monitoring it,listening to the sound of the motor.And so far,so good,not to mention,my motor is now also running quieter with the oil level on the full mark as I described.
Now my dealership tells me that,if I put too much oil in it,in otherwords, not following the factories recommendations,I'll
have oil runnin out of the breather box located in front of the throttle body by the air intake.But I have NOT seen this,and I have been monitoring it closely.
Now,on the other hand,if you drive your bike like ya stole it [and I've seen this all too often no matter what make or model the vehicle/motorcycle was] then all bets are off and we can revert back to that old saying "MAN CREATES HIS OWN PROBLEMS". Dave!!!

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
When I drain some oil out to get it to 5 1/2 quarts total, does it matter which plug I remove? The left or right looking back from the front?
Thanks,
Greg

1 - 20 of 73 Posts