Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have always been meticulous when it comes to changing oil in my bikes. I have never gone over 3,000 miles on oil or filter and have been a big fan of Amsoil. The Indian manual says every 5,000 miles. For those of you who have thousands of miles on your bikes, how often do you change oil and what oil do you use?

·
Founding member
2014 Red Chief Classic
973 Posts
I go 5,000 with Mobile 1 V-twin.

Reactions: Jim59 and Bobby Fix

·
Registered
140 Posts
Indian oil every 5K on my Springfield, which is about every year because I have 7 street bikes. Engines are cleaner with O2 sensors, lead free gas and oil has improved many times over. 15K plus now on this bike. If I was running close to 10K a year, I would use amsoil or scout oil and change yearly.

·
Rider
818 Posts
I shoot for 5-6k Oil analysis on Amsoil 20w40 show TBN good for extended use. If I’m riding x-country I’ve been known to stretch it out to 7500.

Attachments

Reactions: GreatWhite

·
Rider
747 Posts
I try not to exceed 5K. I do this for a couple of reasons;
1-These are air cooled bikes and the engines do run hotter than liquid cooled bikes which I believe breaks down the oil quicker. Synthetics stand up better with the higher temps.
2-Since our bikes have a singular oil cavity, and the oil produces lubrication to the engine, clutch, and transmission, I believe that it is more prone to oil shearing, and exposure to other contaminates.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
5,244 Posts
I did my own oil changes on the Chieftain every 5000 miles. Loved Amsoil by the way. Now that I have a Scout I see a 10,000 mile oil change interval in it's owners manual. I think that's a bit excessive so I'll probably stick to my routine of every 5000 miles.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
4,503 Posts
2015 RM with a little over 63k and problem free ( knock on wood). I use the Indian oil. I change it about every 5,000 miles. I did use Amsoil for one 5,000 mile run but didn’t notice any improvement in heat, engine noise or performance so I went back to the Indian oil as it is readily available and my dealer is right up the road. For the Amsoil fans I’m not dissing your oil, I just didn’t see any seat of the pants improvement over the Indian oil. I think most brand oils are excellent today and provide great protection up to 5,000 miles. It boils down to individual choice and preference.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I have a FTR and 2 other bikes at present.In my experience with shared sump bikes the shifting starts feeling “notchy” when it’s time to change oil and thats always before the recommended time.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I run Amsoil in everything in the Fleet. On the Indian, I change around 5000, but have gone as far as 8,000 while on a x-country trip. Indian has 53K.

Reactions: Wyobob44

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
40,000 on my 2017 111. I use the Scout 5-60 oil. Change around 5,000. Oil always looks fresh. I live in the hottest place in the USA worth living and rid in temps in excess of 110 throughout the summer. Engine runs smooth, quiet, and shifts exceptionally. Beginning to think I should stretch out my oil changes

Reactions: stickbow

·
Registered
187 Posts
These are the comments I get from Blackstone. Red Line 20w-60:

There's nothing but good news in this third sample from your Scout. There was a little more progress in this sample, with some of the last remnants of wear-in washing out. Aluminum is reading nice and low compared to averages, and, to be honest, so are iron and copper. In other words, this engine is wearing considerably better than most of the type, and if that's not a great sign your engine is healthy, then we don't know what is. No contamination was found and the viscosity read in range. Nice report. Feel free to bump it out to 5,000 miles or so next time.

It looks like this was a successful season for your Scout. Wear metals are around the same levels we found in the past, showing only minor variation here and there. That's the type of ebb and flow we expect to see between samples, and there's nothing in the established trend that would show a developing issue. The only thing out of spec in this sample is the flashpoint, which is a little low, showing 0.8% fuel dilution. Small amounts of fuel are harmless and from normal use, and it didn't thin the viscosity significantly. Try ~5,000 miles if you'd like. Excellent!

Reactions: New York Mike

·
Registered
521 Posts
I have always been meticulous when it comes to changing oil in my bikes. I have never gone over 3,000 miles on oil or filter and have been a big fan of Amsoil. The Indian manual says every 5,000 miles. For those of you who have thousands of miles on your bikes, how often do you change oil and what oil do you use?
Same here. Amsoil every 3k-4k. I use a Flo reusable oil filter

·
Registered
229 Posts
About 4,000-4,500 miles using Maxima 10/40 Semi Synthetic.... UNLESS I do a trip then will go 6,000-6,500 miles but not longer. When cruising @ highway speed its less taxing on oil. Plus I use a better than average oil :)

·
Registered
140 Posts
“Change oil soon”. And can you tell us Indian owners without the oil monitor about the mileage it takes for it to say that?
I have no doubt that Indian pays its dealership employees with the profit it makes on selling oil for close to $12 a quart. I just changed oil for the first time on my new Ford Ranger with ford motorcraft synthetic blend oil 6 qts. plus motocraft filter for $30 with tax ( yes, purchased at Walmart).

1 - 20 of 55 Posts