Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now for an oil question, but not the usual debate :) We have an Indian Scout with about 3800 miles on it, meaning that it still has the oil in it from the 500 mile service last June. I presume the dealer put in the same
Polaris full synthetic, just as comes with the OEM Indian oil change kit.

So my question is this: Since it's been 10 months since the oil change, does the age of the oil has been in the engine affect the need for an oil change? We're looking at a 1200 mile ride soon and I don't know if it's necessary (or even just best) to change out the 10 month old synthetic after just 3800 miles, or if we can get more life out of it. Any knowledgeable insight is much appreciated.

(FYI: The Indian Scout Service Manual says 10K oil/filter change interval.)

·
Banned
2,947 Posts
If the manufacturer recommends a 10 month interval and it has factory recommended oil it then I see no reason not to continue running it. Most riders nowadays don't put 10,000 miles on in a year so I would suspect they expect the bike to run the same oil for at least a year anyway.

·
Banned
5,398 Posts
This will open up many an opinion and first off I do not own a Scout but I was a little shocked over the 10K miles oil interval when I saw it. I know some auto manufacturers do this so they can tout that their product is less expensive to maintain ...............7500 miles intervals instead of the usual 3K intervals, ect. Ford was the first to do this and they came out with their own synthetic blend at that time.
That said, personally I would change the oil around 3 or 4K at the latest if I had a Scout. Thats just me. How does the oil look? Still ...............sloshing around and pumped thru that engine constantly for 10,000 miles is well, unreal to me but thats my opinion. A pure synthetic yes.................well not yes but better. A blend like Indian uses? Not me.

Bet you anything that a tech that owns a Scout will not let it go past 5K miles.If you plan on keeping it forever change it out much sooner and do it yourself to save shop charges.

·
Registered
497 Posts
7500 miles intervals instead of the usual 3K intervals, ect. Ford was the first to do this and they came out with their own synthetic blend at that time.
3K oil changes are ancient history since synthetic oil came out.

IF you were running AMSOIL, I'd say one-year or 15K...but you're not (it's what I've done on eight motors now),
SO I'd recommend one-year or 5K since the Polaris Oil is "Semi-synth" (whatever that means)

Best of luck!

·
Banned
5,398 Posts
Yeah I got you .................... even the standard oils have much better life. Its a mind deal for me. Oil thickens as it gets older picking up soot and dirt. Guess I grew up with the old school crew that changed oil quite a bit. Use your own formula here. At least keep it in spec with warranty I guess.
Saving grace for the shovelhead HD's and pans was Harleys drip - dry feature of leaks so that new oil was always added.
But I have seen bikes with 40K on them with original oil in them still going. People still do not change oil or do anything. Some people. Amazing that they run still.

·
Founding member / platinum
10,006 Posts
3K oil changes are ancient history since synthetic oil came out.

IF you were running AMSOIL, I'd say one-year or 15K...but you're not (it's what I've done on eight motors now),
SO I'd recommend one-year or 5K since the Polaris Oil is "Semi-synth" (whatever that means)

Best of luck!
The Scout oil is Full Synthetic oil 15W60 from Polaris.
10,000 miles is OK with Polaris.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Oil technology is only one factor on modern extended oil change intervals. Closer machining tolerances that keep blow-by and wear to a minimum, fuel formulations with less undesirable elements for the oil to have to absorb, modern materials that don't wear down as quickly, better control of engine/oil temperatures to help the combustion by-products evaporate under normal operation, and other tech advances all play a part in it.

My first vehicles were 1960s models that were mechanically worn out at less than 100,000 miles. Made them cheap to buy but I had to learn to fix them if I wanted to drive, and those cars all had oil changed every 3,000. I remember when it was a big deal if someone got over 100,000 miles on a car. Mercedes even gave their customers who did it special badges for the grill. Now even the cheapest econobox will go well over that with almost no maintenance at all.

Ain't modern vehicles wonderful. ;)

·
Senior member / gold
6,220 Posts
Yeah I got you .................... even the standard oils have much better life. Its a mind deal for me. Oil thickens as it gets older picking up soot and dirt. Guess I grew up with the old school crew that changed oil quite a bit. Use your own formula here. At least keep it in spec with warranty I guess.
Saving grace for the shovelhead HD's and pans was Harleys drip - dry feature of leaks so that new oil was always added.
But I have seen bikes with 40K on them with original oil in them still going. People still do not change oil or do anything. Some people. Amazing that they run still.
Yes, you are right. It thickens with contaminated with dirt but the oil itself, thins as the smaller molecules are destroyed, thus reducing the oil cushion between the metal parts, and accordingly wear becomes more rapid.

·
Registered
985 Posts
The Scout is water cooled. No high temps like the T111. Just change oil at the recommended interval. I'm sure it gives a mileage figure and a time interval e.g.
10k miles or 1 year which ever comes first.

·
Senior member / gold
6,220 Posts
The Scout is water cooled. No high temps like the T111. Just change oil at the recommended interval. I'm sure it gives a mileage figure and a time interval e.g.
10k miles or 1 year which ever comes first.
I agree, go by the book. Seems to me we have this urge to always re-invent the wheel. It's already going around Folks,.....let's leave it alone to spin.

Alpal

·
Senior member / rider
1,595 Posts
Scout costs $13,000, oil change kit is what, $70?

I know, fully synthetic, 10,000 interval, Polaris recommends, etc.....

That said, I'd rather change oil too "frequently", but that's just me. Given the type of service and the demands of a motorcycle engine and transmission, I feel comfortable changing oil in the Scout at ~3400 miles. That'll line me up for the 10,000 mile "big" services.

I have no scientific basis for this, it's just my opinion. You're welcome to yours!

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have a little scientific basis ... oil analysis reports on many vehicles that have indicated to me that manufacturers' recommended intervals are always conservative and completely safe. Infact, I've run the same oil in my collector car for 5 years and the tests indicate that time alone has little if any effect on oil (I would recommend running things up to temp when you run them though). I also did 10k mile intervals on my Sportser (air cooled and carbureted) and it passed with flying colors. An oil analysis only costs about $30 and gives you the true facts. I've probably spent $150 on analyses over the years, but saved ten times that in unnecessary oil changes. I'm quite sure my statements are going to send somebody into a rage, so let me just conclude by saying that these have been my personal experiences and your results may vary.

·
Diamond member
9,096 Posts
I have a little scientific basis ... oil analysis reports on many vehicles that have indicated to me that manufacturers' recommended intervals are always conservative and completely safe. Infact, I've run the same oil in my collector car for 5 years and the tests indicate that time alone has little if any effect on oil (I would recommend running things up to temp when you run them though). I also did 10k mile intervals on my Sportser (air cooled and carbureted) and it passed with flying colors. An oil analysis only costs about $30 and gives you the true facts. I've probably spent $150 on analyses over the years, but saved ten times that in unnecessary oil changes. I'm quite sure my statements are going to send somebody into a rage, so let me just conclude by saying that these have been my personal experiences and your results may vary.
As it been said, todays better tolerances and cleaner burn, alows oils shelf life to be greatly improved over days of yore. And like today, even in the days of yore, manufactures were always conservative in the recommendation of change intervals to assure there product would last,, and the oil companies love it to. So, the fact that they are telling you 10. Really likely means it can go even longer..

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am new to the forum......... But I have been reading the posts here since I purchased my 2016 Scout in March.
Since we are the subject of oil............. Just had my 500 mile service completed here in ST.Paul, MN. The cost....... Wait for it........ $355.00 The bike is running 5-10 degrees hotter, sometimes clicking and jerking when i let off the throttle. I could not find any obvious leaks and the coolant looks good. So I take a look at my service invoice and it reads 4 quarts 20-40 from bulk. I am thinking they put the wrong oil ,in should be the 15-60 synthetic. Put a call in and the service mgr. is suppose to call in the morning. I don't know much about motorcycles but I know how it was running before the service.(Hot but not like this) It will be hope that the service mgr. is willing to drain the oil and replace it. we will see...............

·
Diamond member
9,096 Posts
I am new to the forum......... But I have been reading the posts here since I purchased my 2016 Scout in March.
Since we are the subject of oil............. Just had my 500 mile service completed here in ST.Paul, MN. The cost....... Wait for it........ $355.00 The bike is running 5-10 degrees hotter, sometimes clicking and jerking when i let off the throttle. I could not find any obvious leaks and the coolant looks good. So I take a look at my service invoice and it reads 4 quarts 20-40 from bulk. I am thinking they put the wrong oil ,in should be the 15-60 synthetic. Put a call in and the service mgr. is suppose to call in the morning. I don't know much about motorcycles but I know how it was running before the service.(Hot but not like this) It will be hope that the service mgr. is willing to drain the oil and replace it. we will see...............
Welcome!!
Id be hard pressed to think they won't fix you up.. shame it cost 355! My gosh...
Id even mention not wanting to ride it since it is making noises since their potentially detrimental mistake..

1 - 20 of 82 Posts