Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just purchased my 2019 Chieftain and did my first oil change at 650 miles. I followed every single step in the manual, the videos, searched every single thread regarding oil changes and capacities. etc... etc... etc..

I did the 5.5 quarts, checked the oil level, checked again, checked again and never got the oil to the level on the dip stick. I have read that the dip stick is worthless and to do the 5.5 quarts and that is it.

Well I added 1/2 a quart just to see where it would land on the dip stick. Yesterday morning I fired up the bike and it filled my garage with smoke. I pulled the air cleaner and there is a little bit of oil on the filter, nothing that I would say is overly concerning.

The bike only has 1200 miles on it and I am concerned. Should I turkey baste the 1/2 a quart back out? Should I run it? Whats up with the smoke?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. List stuff like this is giving me buyers remorse and wishing I had my Victory back.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
That extra oils gonna wind up in your air cleaner also. At 5.5 your oil is fine readings on these bikes just sucks worst bike for checking oil out there. If your not leaking just ride it but take the 1/2 qt out.

·
Registered
5,903 Posts
If you experiment just a little with figuring out your checking procedure, you should be able to actually get a reading on the dipstick. It will read on the lowest end of the scale when hot, freshly run, and bike upright and level. Lose the excess oil though for sure.

·
Bronze member
3,274 Posts
So I just purchased my 2019 Chieftain and did my first oil change at 650 miles. I followed every single step in the manual, the videos, searched every single thread regarding oil changes and capacities. etc... etc... etc..

I did the 5.5 quarts, checked the oil level, checked again, checked again and never got the oil to the level on the dip stick. I have read that the dip stick is worthless and to do the 5.5 quarts and that is it.

Well I added 1/2 a quart just to see where it would land on the dip stick. Yesterday morning I fired up the bike and it filled my garage with smoke. I pulled the air cleaner and there is a little bit of oil on the filter, nothing that I would say is overly concerning.

The bike only has 1200 miles on it and I am concerned. Should I turkey baste the 1/2 a quart back out? Should I run it? Whats up with the smoke?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. List stuff like this is giving me buyers remorse and wishing I had my Victory back.

Drain out the excess 1/2 quart. The happiest Indian riders are those who don't check the oil.

Oil checking madness came about due to another brand that use to leave oil where ever the bike was parked or ridden, so you had to check it. No one has run an Indian out of oil that anyone has ever heard about.

·
Bronze member
2,750 Posts
I've just been putting in 5 quarts of 20 50 mobil one,vtwin oil.mainly due to having a lot on hand,haven't checked the stick,so don't know where it reads,but I change it twice a year so don't think I have to.
Jesus guys harleys used to leak years ago from the chain oiler on the old cast iron oil pumps,and the primary chain breather port.or the 4 gear bushing that gets wore after 300,000 or so miles.all taken care of many years ago.
Except on my old Harley of course,but it's just marking it's spot.its now claimed the whole garage I guess.

·
Super Moderator
4,752 Posts

This has been a common issue with new owners. The oil checking procedure is WAY over complicated. Run it, make sure it's at operating temp. Shut it off and let is sit for a minute or two at the most. Make sure bike is upright, not on stand.

If you put 5.5qts in, you're ok. Adding the additional oil because you didn't see it on the dipstick was a mistake and now you're over full and smoking. As indicated in previous posts, drain out the half qt and the smoking will subside and eventually go away.

·
Silver member
3,588 Posts
I check mine cold before I fire it up... I won't go into the long explanation :rolleyes:

Butt... peeps freaking over the low or no show on the dip stick, anyone taken a loooong screwdriver or something like that and stuck it in the hole (for you dirty minded folks....oil/crank case hole of the MC engine that is) to see if there's any oil in there? Useless I know, just wondering is all.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
She is getting the ole turkey baster tonight.. hahahahahaha.. Yeah how to check the oil on these bikes seems to be about as much fun as what oil should it use, or what tire does everyone like. These opinion threads are great.

But, yalls did answer my question, even though I kind of knew it already. Run 5.5 qts and call it good.

Thank you all

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This has been a common issue with new owners. The oil checking procedure is WAY over complicated. Run it, make sure it's at operating temp. Shut it off and let is sit for a minute or two at the most. Make sure bike is upright, not on stand.

If you put 5.5qts in, you're ok. Adding the additional oil because you didn't see it on the dipstick was a mistake and now you're over full and smoking. As indicated in previous posts, drain out the half qt and the smoking will subside and eventually go away.

Question - should I run some injector cleaner or sea foam to clean up the oil that is already in the valve train?

·
Super Moderator
4,752 Posts
Question - should I run some injector cleaner or sea foam to clean up the oil that is already in the valve train?
It wouldn't hurt (unless you use too much - LOL) as I use an injector cleaner every so often. I've seen some pretty nasty valve build-up in my days and a bit of cleaner won't hurt and it's really not that expensive.

·
Registered
8,004 Posts

Why would you over fill it? Im no mechanic, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn once. I have in the past done tons of mechanical work and maintenance on cars including a complete rebuild of a 68 MG motor.

I have always been told by real mechanics that over filling a car engine is bad, considering the added pressures inside the engine especially on seals etc...

I let a motorcycle mechanic chime in on overfilling a motorcycle engine.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
@17NDNSTL im gonna take a guess at this. Because checking oil on these bikes as recommended by the factory is so for not finding a better term ridiculous lol. I’m guessing when nothing shows on the stick what do I do ? YES ! Put more in till it shows. What ya think ! ;) And by the way how have you been feeling ? Getting better I hope

·
Registered
8,004 Posts
@17NDNSTL im gonna take a guess at this. Because checking oil on these bikes as recommended by the factory is so for not finding a better term ridiculous lol. I’m guessing when nothing shows on the stick what do I do ? YES ! Put more in till it shows. What ya think ! ;) And by the way how have you been feeling ? Getting better I hope
Slowly. Joined Golds gym up the street. Hoping to start slowly on a treadmill and pool walking. The back surgery interpreted my left hip replacement surgery on the same day. June 6th. Thanks for asking. My original Orthopedic surgeon said I had to be infection free for 12 months. They take my white cell count every 6 weeks. 1 bad result and clock starts over. I've become a germ aphoeb like the wife.
The Cardinals ortho doctor that did my rotator cuff surgery, is good with 12 weeks clean then schedule the Left hip. Shooting for late Nov or Dec. Tried riding around the block last night. Its nearly impossible to mount and dismount even with a solo seat and boy did I pay the price in pain last night even with Oxy.

Thanks so much for asking!!!!

On oil, I have a confession to make...... I never check on any of my personal vehicles for the last 10 years or so. I do however buy what I feel to be the best oil and filters even if the dealers are changing it. Not once has someone told me I was really low. Now, I know thats dumb, but I do know being a half quart low is slightly better than a half quart over.

Let the bearings commence! Lol!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts