Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well damn. Oil change was going good, until I was torquing up the bolts. I had read there was a slight problem with stripping, so set my torque wrench to 14 instead of 15. The inner one went fine. Started tightening the outer one, and damn, it just keeps turning.

Now what? Anyone reading this, tips would be greatly appreciated...

·
Registered
717 Posts
Well damn. Oil change was going good, until I was torquing up the bolts. I had read there was a slight problem with stripping, so set my torque wrench to 14 instead of 15. The inner one went fine. Started tightening the outer one, and damn, it just keeps turning.

Now what? Anyone reading this, tips would be greatly appreciated...
Never use a torque wrench except for heads or primary. Use common sense instead

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well damn. I thought I WAS using common sense, since I watched about 3 video's TELLING me to torque them.
Which is why I set the torque wrench LOWER then what was called for!

What strips, the bolts or the bottom of the engine?

·
Registered
717 Posts
Well damn. I thought I WAS using common sense, since I watched about 3 video's TELLING me to torque them.
Which is why I set the torque wrench LOWER then what was called for!

What strips, the bolts or the bottom of the engine?

Performing 1st Self Oil Change
Here ya go:
Performing 1st Self Oil Change

The video suggests using 12ft-lb torque instead of 15 . I think you used 14. This must have been the 4th video you didn't see - but should have

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Lifetime Achievement Award
4,855 Posts
There's a thread on stripped out oil pugs on this forum in which a repair kit was installed and it corrected the problem (it isn't an Indian kit).

Try timesert.com
I've used timesert's for repair on stripped out threads, especially on Harley engines. They work very well for this type of repair.

·
Registered
861 Posts
If mine ever strips, am going to drill ad tap it to pipe thread. then just put a pipe plug in it. I just use the wrench in the tool kit, and try not to use too much pressure.

·
Gold member
6,272 Posts
There's a thread on stripped out oil pugs on this forum in which a repair kit was installed and it corrected the problem (it isn't an Indian kit).

Try timesert.com
Smart idea! My idea was a quick fix! A buddy of mine had this same problem four yrs ago, and its still working for him, but he's very careful And adds the loctite after each change! ( I believe oil pugs = oil plugs) I think n hope.

·
Banned
5,319 Posts
There are quite a few threads on this here and other forum. Suggest you see what others did. Most had to heli - coil the stripped threads and then it works fine.
Do not be frantic here. It happens. Call the Indian service department and see if they can see you the heli - coil and thread chaser. If not? Hello Ace Hardware.

One hint ............might want to get the bike up higher to work on it. Easier. Its not that bad of a job and I have seen it done two times. Both are perfectly OK. Its just what the dealer does here. No other permanent fix my man.............

1 - 20 of 118 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.