Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Founding member / platinum
10,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just left the official Indian web page and checked under accessories and found out that they must have not updated their oil and filters for the Scout.

When I put that in their search engine it comes back that none of the oil or the two filters are for the Scout.

Also, I would like to use a Mobil 1 oil filter and 20W50 full synthetic V Twin motorcycle specific oil in my Scout once I get rid of the break in oil.

Anyone have an opinion on this being too light a weight oil since 60 weight is "recommended"?

15W60 is recommended but that is NOT a readily available oil weight if you don't buy the $13 plus semi-synthetic Indian oil available from the dealers. Motol and an obscure oil brand from England called "Millers" are the only two readily available oils I could find with a quick Google look!

I see no conversion filter numbers from Indian for any other brand using their filter number. Are we going to be locked into using nothing but the oil and filters we can only get from the dealers? I surely hope not! :(:(

·
Registered
974 Posts
I bought a Scout oil change kit, pic attached. Hope that helps.

Part No. 2880191, Oil Filter Polaris 2520799, and Full Syn 15W-60

Attachments

·
10,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I bought a Scout oil change kit, pic attached. Hope that helps.

It was one of the NOT available for the Scout listed on the internet Indian webpage. Selling for something like $88.00 from memory!
I'm sure it is only because the webpage for accessories on the scout has not been updated!

Even if it was only across the street from me I would like to have other options for my oil..

What are the big Chief and Roadmaster owners using for oil AND filters instead of the Indian recommendations?

·
Registered
194 Posts
That's strange, because the canadian site is showing the air filters and brake pads, but not the oil. Maybe their IT guy is slow at updates?

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Scout oil is 15w60 full synthetic, not semi syn.

·
Registered
572 Posts
You can purchase Penrite HPR155 15w60 full synthetic from Summit Racing. It's priced at $44.18 per 5 litres or $11.63 for 1 litre. Another choice is Motul 300V 15w60 at Amazon for 55.99 for 4 litres or $15.99 for a litre. To be honest, with a water cooled engine like the scouts unless you are in Death Valley... I really do not see why 15w50 wouldn't work.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
I would think that the Scout is going to use the same oil filter that the Victory Gunner uses. It would make sense to use the same specifications instead of reinventing the wheel.

What do you think?

*Edit: I just did a search on the K&N website and the entire 2014 Victory Line (I checked like 7) uses the same replacement oil filter: KN198.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
I would think that the Scout is going to use the same oil filter that the Victory Gunner uses. It would make sense to use the same specifications instead of reinventing the wheel.

What do you think?

*Edit: I just did a search on the K&N website and the entire 2014 Victory Line (I checked like 7) uses the same replacement oil filter: KN198.
I'll check part #'s tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Unless I'm missing something,this is what's on our shelves at work...
POLARIS LUBRICANTS

·
Registered
209 Posts
Why does the Scout use a 60 weight when every other new car or bike is going to lighter oils. My family cars use 5 W 30 due to tighter tolerances and better machining methods of modern manufacturing.
This is a bit concerning to me. With water cooling I would think Scouts would not need such a heavy oil.
Maybe I should try it in my chief ( that's a Clacker) to quiet it down. Currently 20 W 50 Mobile 1 V twin.
The only thing calling for a 60 weight these days is an old Hardly.
Bet some Scout engineer could tell us, but won't. ;);) What ya think.

·
10,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Unless I'm missing something,this is what's on our shelves at work...
POLARIS LUBRICANTS
Note this product is not for Scout

Fitment Guide

Choose a Model:

Does not fit 2015 Scout Indian Red
My profuse apologies to Troop!

The "INDIAN" web page does not even offer this oil for sale.

It never entered my mind to go to the "POLARIS" web page for information on the Indian Scout!

I now feel much better knowing that a full synthetic is available for my bike.

Although the 60 weight oil still does seem excessive to me!

But if that is what it takes then that is what it takes! :) I think! :confused:

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
I'll check part #'s tomorrow.
Google the oil filter part number here:
I bought a Scout oil change kit

First hit is for the Ranger motor. I think it is going to be a safe bet that they use this filter for pretty much every motor. I will probably do an oil change today and report my findings.

·
Distinguished Founding Member
5,337 Posts
Guys Do Not get the Oil Confused Here .. Web Sites may be in error or possibly not up to Date .. But the Scout Does Use 15W60 Full Synthetic Oil .. The Kit Part Number is 2880191 Consists of 4 Quarts Oil, 1 Filter and 2 Washers and Cost me $76.99 at The Dealer when had my 500 Mile Service Done, I pIcked up another Kit for a Spare because according to the manual I don't need another Oil Change until 10,000 Miles and I will do one at 5,000 , maybe sooner .. Now if I developed a Leak and Had no choice would go with the Heaviest Weight Oil I can could my Hands on in an Emergency Hopefully 15W50 or as close as possible as long as it does not say Energy Saving as that means contains Friction Modifiers which can wreak havoc on your Wet Clutch ..

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
We have bulk oil, filters and oil change kits for the Scout in Stock now...

·
10,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have a Polaris dealer 4 miles from me, but he is not a stocking Indian dealer.
I put in an internet order for the oil change kit this morning as soon as I found out from Troop that it was available! <VBG>

·
Registered
228 Posts
You can purchase Penrite HPR155 15w60 full synthetic from Summit Racing. It's priced at $44.18 per 5 litres or $11.63 for 1 litre. Another choice is Motul 300V 15w60 at Amazon for 55.99 for 4 litres or $15.99 for a litre. To be honest, with a water cooled engine like the scouts unless you are in Death Valley... I really do not see why 15w50 wouldn't work.
Penrite and Motul are superb oils that can be readily ordered online or at Summit Racing locations. I have used both on my Ducati and Triumph

1 - 20 of 79 Posts