Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 411 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has Indian officially acknowledged that many TS111 are clackers? Does anyone KNOW if they are working on any remedies or recalls.

Or, has anyone found the right Executive at Indian/Polaris to complain to?

I have spoken the to dealer and opened a "Ask Polaris" case and have heard nothing.

"They all do it, it is normal, not a problem" is not acceptable. I would like to escalate this. Many others should do so too, or nothing will happen.

Knowing this, I would not have bought this bike.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
I wish I could hear it some time. I have never heard it from any of the other Indians that I have heard running. They all sound the same as mine. Mine sounds like a small bell ringing when it's cold but once warmed up it sounds like pure power.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Has anyone determined exactly what is making the noise?

·
Banned
5,398 Posts
Please ...........must be minimum 100 threads on this subject. And 10,000 ideas of what it is. East start cams get the most votes.

Indian is not going to admit this is a problem. I do not have it. Some do. Admitting that this is a problem will lead to a lot of money, time, and bad press for Polaris and that will not happen right now. A safety issue like cracking kickstands was not even addressed so you think a clacking engine will cause sleepless nights in Minnesota?

Read other threads/forums. You may finish all the threads before fall of 2018.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Has Indian officially acknowledged that many TS111 are clackers? Does anyone KNOW if they are working on any remedies or recalls.

I have spoken the to dealer and opened a "Ask Polaris" case and have heard nothing.

"They all do it, it is normal, not a problem" is not acceptable. I would like to escalate this. Many others should do so too, or nothing will happen.

I asked the service manager at my dealer and he said it comes from the cams and not a problem. I see a lot of complaints about it but no major engine failures because of it.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Please ...........must be minimum 100 threads on this subject. And 10,000 ideas of what it is. East start cams get the most votes.

Indian is not going to admit this is a problem. I do not have it. Some do. Admitting that this is a problem will lead to a lot of money, time, and bad press for Polaris and that will not happen right now. A safety issue like cracking kickstands was not even addressed so you think a clacking engine will cause sleepless nights in Minnesota?

Read other threads/forums. You may finish all the threads before fall of 2018.
You say Indian is not going to admit this is a problem.....but is it a real problem? They say it is not. Ride on.

·
Premium Member
2,998 Posts
My 2014 didn't, my 2016 (with stage 2 upgrade) does.
Go figure.
For those that haven't heard it, in my case it is between 1800 and 2200 RPM's and is faint at times, yet it can sound like 3 marbles being shaken in a coffee can. There is no missing it. I can hear it in neutral in the garage so there is not much of a chance of anyone honestly saying they can't hear it.

I told my dealer I was going to leave it with him for a week for him to ride back and forth to work. I want him to hear the can of marbles rattle. That is the one that is allusive.

But I agree with Bwana...... There has been enough written on the topic to fill a freaking library. I am going to ride mine until some total stranger calls me on it. Then I will ***** more loudly.

·
Founding member
992 Posts

As an owner of one of the first clackers, I will answer your questions the best I can.

No, Indian has never acknowledged there are clackers, and at this point I am convinced they never will. They are still telling people this is "normal".

I have "heard" more then once they were working on a fix, but after two years and three model years, I can't tell you that is true.

I have called Indian, got Case Numbers, wrote emails, emailed the CEO and Vice President and spoke to a factory rep.

I will be surprised if you get a response from Ask Polaris.

I wish you luck on escalating this and truly hope you do some good. I have tried and after 2 years got them to agree to look at my bike. After a week in the shop, same old story. Yes your bike is noisy, but some are and that's just the way it is. All the numbers on the computer are within spec and nothing more will be done. Come get it.

So there you have it. And yes, I can tell you beyond a shadow of a doubt had I heard this before I bought this bike I would have never bought it.

·
Banned
5,398 Posts
Well many think it is a problem. At least a concern. At least a halfway major concern.

So let us be politically correct here as that is now the norm. Lets just say is is mildly annoying. The cure would be to wear an I-pod, Or enclose the engine in a cover that muffles any ticking or clacking noise. Then no problemo..............

Attachments

·
Founding member
992 Posts
You say Indian is not going to admit this is a problem.....but is it a real problem? They say it is not. Ride on.
Mike let me ask you this. Let's say four of your neighbors bought new 2016 F-150's and the engines sounded like, well new engines, and they really looked good so after riding in a couple of your neighbors trucks, you go buy yourself one. Runs and sounds great for a few days but then all of a sudden the engine sounds like it came out of a Model T Ford. A couple of your neighbors ride in your truck and ask you what the hell is wrong with it? It's pretty embarrassing and you decide to take it back to the dealer and ask why does yours sound like a Model T and others don't? So they check your truck and tell you it's "normal" and some just sound like that and your just going to have to live with it. They tell you it runs and it's not a "real problem" and just drive it. How would you feel about that?

·
Registered
95 Posts
It all depends on the bike.

I have no problem with a "clack-clack-clack". I would even accept a "clackity-clack-clack". But what if ones bike goes like "clacka-clacka-clacka" or the dreaded "clacklack-clacklack".

Honestly, I'm just happy that my bike doesn't do the "potato-potato"

·
Founding member
992 Posts
Well many think it is a problem. At least a concern. At least a halfway major concern.

So let us be politically correct here as that is now the norm. Lets just say is is mildly annoying. The cure would be to wear an I-pod, Or enclose the engine in a cover that muffles any ticking or clacking noise. Then no problemo..............
If ConnieRae was riding behind me, it probably would only be mildly annoying....

·
Registered
767 Posts
As an owner of one of the first clackers, I will answer your questions the best I can.

No, Indian has never acknowledged there are clackers, and at this point I am convinced they never will. They are still telling people this is "normal".
But have they ever said where the noise is coming from?

I call B.S. on it being the original cams, as a friend has done the stage 2's and his clacking is the same or worse.

People worry about the 'ticking' noise coming from their VTX 1800's too, but if it's not making noise, you should be worried because your valves are too tight.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Has anyone determined exactly what is making the noise?
I've heard from a few reliable sources that it is in fact piston slap. These sources are the ones who have designed the big bore kits for the 111 and have opened up more than a few of these motors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,998 Posts
Honestly, I'm just happy that my bike doesn't do the "potato-potato"
With the stage 2 cams mine is more of a "Tomato-Potato-Tomato-Potato-Tomato" etc etc

·
Founding member
992 Posts
But have they ever said where the noise is coming from?

I call B.S. on it being the original cams, as a friend has done the stage 2's and his clacking is the same or worse.

People worry about the 'ticking' noise coming from their VTX 1800's too, but if it's not making noise, you should be worried because your valves are too tight.
To my knowledge, no they have never officially admitted anything.

·
Founding member
992 Posts
I've heard from a few reliable sources that it is in fact piston slap. These sources are the ones who have designed the big bore kits for the 111 and have opened up more than a few of these motors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes we have heard from a member it is piston slap and he was told that by Indian. Has Indian officially admitted it, not to my knowledge. The piston is the same 14,15,16.

·
Premium Member
2,998 Posts
It is weird how at times it clacks quietly and in time with the motor then other times it is a loud and off tempo clattering. That is the marbles in the can sound.
They are strong motors so it is going to take some serious mileage or serious abuse to get to the re-bore out of necessity stage.
As you mentioned above.... The big bore guys really should know.

1 - 20 of 411 Posts