Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought an Indian Scout that original deposit person did not come and pick up. Read on a forum that when this happens they can not sell it to the next person on the list it must go on the floor for sale, you lose the 5 year warranty, and the certificate that it is a first rub bike. I don't see how they can refuse to give you a certificate. My # is 560. Has anyone heard of this??

·
Registered
582 Posts
My dealer mentioned the same thing to me about the 5-year warranty. That's ONLY for people who pre-ordered. I just made the cutoff. He explained that if, for whatever reason, I didn't accept my bike, he could sell it to someone else, but the new owner wouldn't get the 5-year warranty. He didn't mention anything about a certificate -- I didn't know there was one.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I have not heard of this. My dealer said that if someone backs out it goes to the next person on the list. If no one else at that dealership ordered that color it goes to another dealership. I placed my deposit back in August and have not received my bike, yet you can walk in and pick one up on a whim? A low serial number at that!

I'm happy for you. Really I am, but that's just not fair.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My dealer mentioned the same thing to me about the 5-year warranty. That's ONLY for people who pre-ordered. I just made the cutoff. He explained that if, for whatever reason, I didn't accept my bike, he could sell it to someone else, but the new owner wouldn't get the 5-year warranty. He didn't mention anything about a certificate -- I didn't know there was one.
Neither do I, I just read that on a forum.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have not heard of this. My dealer said that if someone backs out it goes to the next person on the list. If no one else at that dealership ordered that color it goes to another dealership. I placed my deposit back in August and have not received my bike, yet you can walk in and pick one up on a whim? A low serial number at that!

I'm happy for you. Really I am, but that's just not fair.
I put my money down about a month ago and the dealer called me 3 days ago and told me that if the guy did not pick it up by Thursday it was mine.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I put my money down about a month ago and the dealer called me 3 days ago and told me that if the guy did not pick it up by Thursday it was mine.
What dealer is that?

·
Registered
332 Posts
Ok, so then you were on A list...and the next person in line at that dealer. If it's one of those middle of nowhere dealers who only got 3 or 4 first run deposits than I can see this happening. Losing the 5 year warrantee makes sense because of when you made your deposit.
Your OP made it sound like Monday you woke up and decided to buy a Scout.

·
Registered
209 Posts
If that was my dealer I'd sure as hell be on the phone to the nearest 1% MC and pay them to pay the dealer a visit!

That stinks if you were another customer at that dealer and didn't get offered it next rather than sell it to the next person who walks in the door.

What say some of you 'lurking dealers' on here - what would you do?

Reactions: Jamie Sydney

·
Registered
656 Posts
I think that even IF there were no other orders at that dealer giving those of us who have pre ordered and are sitting empty should have first rights. I am happy for you to get a Scout but it really sucks that you now have something that a lot of folks should be before you.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I think that even IF there were no other orders at that dealer giving those of us who have pre ordered and are sitting empty should have first rights. I am happy for you to get a Scout but it really sucks that you now have something that a lot of folks should be before you.
In a number of ways, I very much agree with. Yet there is part me that says, bottom line I am glad we have another new Indian owner out there, because every one added is one more spreading the word about this great machine, and one more that helps ensure the long term viability of this historic name. Undoubtedly there's some degree of self-interest there -- I want the company to be there for the long haul so I can continue to get parts and service in the years ahead -- but there is also a real desire to see someone be successful at making an iconic brand a contender again. It ends up being good for all of us.

With that in mind, I'll just say, owner of 560, you are welcome to come ride with me. It's an open road and there is room for all of us!

·
Founding member
1,522 Posts
Just bought an Indian Scout that original deposit person did not come and pick up. Read on a forum that when this happens they can not sell it to the next person on the list it must go on the floor for sale, you lose the 5 year warranty, and the certificate that it is a first rub bike. I don't see how they can refuse to give you a certificate. My # is 560. Has anyone heard of this??
Old School, congrats on your new bike. You made a good choice by buying the new Scout. You should feel real special because there's is a lot of people who have been waiting months to have the bike they bought. They thought it was special to be one of the 1st owners and were willing to preorder the machine. Evidently, the dealers don't appreciate their customers business. No blame towards you.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
6,027 Posts
In a number of ways, I very much agree with. Yet there is part me that says, bottom line I am glad we have another new Indian owner out there, because every one added is one more spreading the word about this great machine, and one more that helps ensure the long term viability of this historic name. Undoubtedly there's some degree of self-interest there -- I want the company to be there for the long haul so I can continue to get parts and service in the years ahead -- but there is also a real desire to see someone be successful at making an iconic brand a contender again. It ends up being good for all of us.

With that in mind, I'll just say, owner of 560, you are welcome to come ride with me. It's an open road and there is room for all of us!
I gave it a thumb up, but this message also deserves a +1. Well said.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Hey Old School.
Please don't think I have anything against you! Good luck to you mate for being at the right place at the right time.

My 'beef' is with the odd Customer Service 'ethic' of not honouring those folk that taboothe speaks of! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I am sorry that I have made people angry! But it's not my fault that Polaris/Indian have made that rule. I have lost 3 years in warranty taking this bike, I am a 70 year old rider I started riding a 1946 Indian Chief in 1965 and now this will possibly be my last motorcycle.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
6,027 Posts
I am sorry that I have made people angry! But it's not my fault that Polaris/Indian have made that rule. I have lost 3 years in warranty taking this bike, I am a 70 year old rider I started riding a 1946 Indian Chief in 1965 and now this will possibly be my last motorcycle.
OldSchool, you rock, welcome to our motorcycle gang.

·
Registered
209 Posts
OldSchool, you rock, welcome to our motorcycle gang.
Old School - What Meggie said: You rock!

And I reiterate - I have no beef with you! :cool:

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
First, thanks for posting. How else would we know what is going on. Second, I do not believe anyone here is angry with you. Given the opportunity I believe anyone here would have done the same thing. May you Ride long and enjoy:D

·
Founding Member
1,932 Posts
The mis-management by Polaris of the Scout release is the only culprit here, and from my end, will be obliterated by time once we ALL have the Scouts we ordered. If I was in Old School's place I probably would have pulled the trigger as well, and told my dealer to give me my $500 back and bite me.. F**k the 5 year warranty and the box of trinkets, ride that thing buddy!

·
Registered
228 Posts
You go Old School! Welcome. I want to be riding when I am 70. That is great!!! You happened onto good fortune , which is great..

There is a dealer I know of (not mine) that I believe is doing the same thing. I could have bought a Silver Smoke before mine arrived, which I ordered before the supposed cut off of September 19, 2014, but it had the shorter warranty and no commemorative kit. Not sure what is up with that. I think there are some dealers that are doing whatever they want

When any of you that has a new Scout, when you picked up, did your dealer talk about "birthing" the bike with mother Polaris?

I was told there is a very specific process that the bike must go through with uploads and sending those to Polaris. I had a Stage 1 Kit Installed and the process required 3 new flashes of the ECM and 2 were sent back to Polaris after running the bike with certain cool down cycles and warm up cycles. Make sure there are some miles on your bike before you leave the dealership.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts