Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
Curious, are there deliveries made to any of the buildings that a delivery truck could have done this?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Wow - I would be angry and “sick” at the same time. I am beyond paranoid when I park my bike. Now it will be even worse....
I have seen this happen before if you park to far in the stall someone thinks it is open and fly's in and can't stop when they see a bike in the stall. That's why I park so that the back of the bike is visible like the rear fender of a car.

·
Registered
24 Posts
This happened yesterday. My DH was parked just minding its own when someone managed to accomplish this.
I would’ve just been upset if the person who did it stuck around and owned up to it. Then we could’ve handled it through insurance. After all, that’s what it is for. However, the coward creamed by bike—dragging it up ONTO the curb in front of the parking spot and tucked tail.
Funny part is, this happened on a military installation, within a half hour window, on a small base. We will figure out who it was.
I just hoping I can repair it. Replacing some tins and levers etc. if the frame was tweaked though, they might total it out.

My heart is sick over this.

I don’t post here often, but I’ve been a member for a long time. I joined right around when I bought this bike new in 2015. I shouldn’t have been able to afford a new Indian, but I figured it out by sacrificing other parts of my budget. I recognize being able to afford a second vehicle is a better situation than many people find themselves in and I’m not trying to say I have it hard or anything, I’m just saying that the only way I was able to buy this bike was by making it my main mode of transportation which meant certain times I rode when I would have rather hopped into a cage and taken the climate controlled route. I was within $1500 of paying it off and had poured a LOT of myself into this bike over the years. An accident while riding was always a possibility, but this? The lack of dignity in it all...
If I end up with just the ACV plus some additional accessory coverage I’d included, I don’t know if I’ll have the heart to invest the same incremental customization that took me 6.5 years on this one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ugh, that's horrible, all the feels. I love how you kitted the bike out, where did you get that saddlebag from?

·
Bronze member
2,403 Posts
This happened yesterday. My DH was parked just minding its own when someone managed to accomplish this.
Well, I'd say just check around for the guy that didn't show for work or an appointment. Obviously they were pulling INTO the parking space thinking they'd nailed an empty spot until...OH SH--! Can't be too many building conveniently located. Rotten luck my friend but I'm with the above member that says that maybe you were late for your own funeral as a result. Again, sorry about your ride.

·
Registered
2021 Scout Bobber
28 Posts
I would’ve just been upset if the person who did it stuck around and owned up to it. Then we could’ve handled it through insurance. After all, that’s what it is for. However, the coward creamed by bike—dragging it up ONTO the curb in front of the parking spot and tucked tail.
Funny part is, this happened on a military installation, within a half hour window, on a small base. We will figure out who it was.
I just hoping I can repair it. Replacing some tins and levers etc. if the frame was tweaked though, they might total it out.

I don’t post here often, but I’ve been a member for a long time. I joined right around when I bought this bike new in 2015. I shouldn’t have been able to afford a new Indian, but I figured it out by sacrificing other parts of my budget. I recognize being able to afford a second vehicle is a better situation than many people find themselves in and I’m not trying to say I have it hard or anything, I’m just saying that the only way I was able to buy this bike was by making it my main mode of transportation which meant certain times I rode when I would have rather hopped into a cage and taken the climate controlled route. I was within $1500 of paying it off and had poured a LOT of myself into this bike over the years. An accident while riding was always a possibility, but this? The lack of dignity in it all...
If I end up with just the ACV plus some additional accessory coverage I’d included, I don’t know if I’ll have the heart to invest the same incremental customization that took me 6.5 years on this one.

I'm so sorry this happened to you! We pour a lot of money, time and heart into our bikes. Heartache and anger don't even come close to the emotions that would run through me if this happened to my bike. Hope you're able to get the bike back into original/perfect condition.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Didn’t get if you are military or not. They video everyone that goes in and out of the gate. File a complaint with the base commander. You may get them to roll the tape since you know the time frame. Hopefully they assist and don’t wave you off.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Didn’t get if you are military or not. They video everyone that goes in and out of the gate. File a complaint with the base commander. You may get them to roll the tape since you know the time frame. Hopefully they assist and don’t wave you off.
I am. They are investigating.
I haven’t posted any updates yet as there is little to report yet. Bike is at the shop now and I’m waiting on the adjuster to check it out and give me the estimate on Tuesday. We’ll see where things stand then.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I'm not saying you parked this way or this is even what happened in this case but I always park at the front of the parking space rather than the back so that people can see the bike before they go whipping into the spot.

I'm pissed for you! And where are all the honest people in the world
I ran into one in Rocky Mountain NP last June. Never face to face. I had parked my truck in a shuttle lot and returned to see a note on my windshield. A guy parked next to me and the wind caught his door and it dinged my front passenger door. no more than the usual parking lot ding. Small dent, no lost paint, and a bit of his paint in the dent. My truck was five years old and was dentless and scratchless until then. I called the number and thanked him for the note. I told him I'd not deal with his insurance but get an estimate when I got home. I got it fixed at a local paintless dent repair shop for $50.00. Texted him and had a check from him in less than a week.

There are still good guys out there and it's a pleasure dealing with them.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I haven’t posted any updates yet as there is little to report yet. Bike is at the shop now and I’m waiting on the adjuster to check it out and give me the estimate on Tuesday. We’ll see where things stand then.

That is good news. We are all pulling for you. Let us know how you make out

·
Registered
12 Posts

So sorry this happened! I cant imagine the initial shock of seeing your bike on the ground. The silver lining is that bike parts can be fixed, body parts not always. Glad you were not on it at the time.

If you dont mind can you keep us informed on how the insurance stuff goes? And what insurance company you have? I'm always interested in which companies are good and which are not.

Best of luck to you and thank you for your service.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
So sorry this happened! I cant imagine the initial shock of seeing your bike on the ground. The silver lining is that bike parts can be fixed, body parts not always. Glad you were not on it at the time.

If you dont mind can you keep us informed on how the insurance stuff goes? And what insurance company you have? I'm always interested in which companies are good and which are not.

Best of luck to you and thank you for your service.
Will do. So far so good. Hopefully it stays that way!

·
Registered
15 Posts
That is good info. I noticed the same when I was looking at the trucks in the parking lot. Even late model Tacomas are about the right height.

Looks like that scratch left of the dent extends down to the lower housing of the rear lamp - maybe that’s a license plate edge and if so helps set the original impact height as well as give you a better clue where to look for paint transfer/scratches (or maybe even a cracked/bent edge to the plate/plate frame)

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
Update: Got the estimate from the shop and my adjuster yesterday.
Looks like everything will be able to be fixed and the only thing I’m out really is my helmet which would have been covered under my apparel and gear coverage if I’d been riding, but since it was parked, it would have had to be covered under ”carried contents” coverage, which I don’t have. Oh well. Everything else is good bike-wise. No frame damage and the forks check out fine.
Now, as far as finding out who is responsible, no real progress on that yet. I’m not expecting much but was hoping that the circumstances provided enough narrowing of the suspects that we might have found out who was to blame. Unfortunately, there doesn’t seem to be any real interest in investigating from our Security Forces and I’m debating whether I want to expend the the energy to be a squeaky enough wheel to make something happen. At this point I just want my bike fixed and to get back on the road—which always improves my mental outlook.
I’m going to get those cameras though!
Looking forward to posting the pics once she’s back to battery!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Good to hear your bike will be repaired by insurance- usually the best way.
I agree on not being the squeaky wheel- next thing you know you’d be giving the evil eye to every vehicle with a scratch or dent on which likely would not go well.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
Good to hear your bike will be repaired by insurance- usually the best way.
I agree on not being the squeaky wheel- next thing you know you’d be giving the evil eye to every vehicle with a scratch or dent on which likely would not go well.
Exactly right. I am not usually a very negative person and the more I concentrated on on trying to figure out who it was, the more I was losing my cool. I’ll just focus on the good and if they end up figuring out who did it—bonus!

Just got a copy of the repair estimate. Almost $8000 in damage! Never been so happy to have full coverage before in my life...

·
Registered
30 Posts

This my friend was no accident. He hit hard and kept pushing. Are you like mist guys and keep iy in gear while parked? If so the wheels weren’t rolling and he kept shoving until it went up and over the sidewalk. Which means you might have engine tranny damage too. You piss somebody off? Payback? Id be checking cameras and don’t forget in vehicle cameras. The good ones nowadays record when they see movement. Even movement around them. And id hound my insurance. Theirs no reason you should lose out on this except deduction. And dont forget to have a dealer check it mechanically too. I had a truck get hit and not that hard. Had the damage fixed and a few weeks later the tranny went out and the tranny shop said it happens all the time. The sharp jolt does damage and no one thinks sbout it. Can do engine damage too

41 - 58 of 58 Posts