Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Really feel your pain. So not good when you put your heart into something just for it to be smacked down.

As for video, I’m using the inexpensive SYKIK dual cameras DVR and Antigravity battery pack in my saddle bag.
It’s possible to connect directly to the bike battery and a switched power wire. I wanted a way to keep the cameras going while away from the bike. Get about six hours per charge on the battery pack.

Using it for a few years now, only problem was with SD card not holding in slot. Was able to wedge a little piece of plastic to make it stay in.

Only had two incidences while bike was parked somewhere, one being nothing after I played video back. Discovered I never plugged the battery in when I left home, and the reason I was checking is because I had also left the saddle bag unlatched. Only noticed it when I walked back to my bike later.
The other time was when someone left a fake hundred dollar bill on the seat. Was at a school basketball game and teenagers were seen and heard milling around. I took that as sort of a complement.
Thanks. I’ll check into that setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Bronze member
2,215 Posts
First, sorry for your pain and hassle, that really sucks. I came out one time to see one of my old bikes BITD laying on it's side. No one around. The word pissed off doesn't quite come close to describe what you're feeling at the time. Secondly, thank you for your service for our country. The person who did this should rise to the level of respect, duty and conduct the position holds, a member of the US Armed Forces (assuming they are). Disappointing. You sir, deserve better. Again, thank you.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
First, sorry for your pain and hassle, that really sucks. I came out one time to see one of my old bikes BITD laying on it's side. No one around. The word pissed off doesn't quite come close to describe what you're feeling at the time. Secondly, thank you for your service for our country. The person who did this should rise to the level of respect, duty and conduct the position holds, a member of the US Armed Forces (assuming they are). Disappointing. You sir, deserve better. Again, thank you.
Thank you for that. I agree. My money is on it being a young student straight out of Basic (we have a schoolhouse on base for one career field and that is the parking lot I was in) on their own for the first time who panicked and ran. I hope, for his/her sake that they come forward and own up to it before having to be found out from the investigation.

·
Registered
2020 Scout Bobber Icon
48 Posts
Keep us updated on the outcome of the investigation! I feel as though I am involved in this now lol, same thing happened to my cbr in college apartments. Infuriating is the only way to describe it...

·
Registered
475 Posts
That really sucks. I'm sure it will be an easy one to solve and at least you weren't on it.

Phil

·
Premium Member
2018 Indian Chief, "Adeline"
176 Posts
Because it happened on base, and the offender may be another service member, would there be "alternative penalties?" I'm aware that can be a thing on, say, Army or Naval bases, but I don't know about other branches.

Story Time:
At Fort Gordon, someone had backed into the side of my friend's car, but the person who did it was nowhere to be found, nor was contact information left. The investigation found the person who did it. Not only were they fined, and made to pay restitution, conveniently deducted from their paychecks by Uncle Sam to ensure it was paid, but the person had also received some degree of demerit to their service record for something like "unbecoming conduct" or some such--the kind of thing that could keep you in sh*t duty for a while, and maybe cost you a promotion. Admittedly, I'm reaching on the details, because it was back in the late 90s. I remember my friend making a really big deal of it, though, mostly because of the sorts of personnel working on base...lots of crypto-techs, like my friend, and other people who's line of work hold them to a near-perfect level of trustworthiness. I guess it was quite scandalous.

Regardless, though, I hope they get there's and you get yours, too. Like everyone else, here, I'm angry with you.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Because it happened on base, and the offender may be another service member, would there be "alternative penalties?" I'm aware that can be a thing on, say, Army or Naval bases, but I don't know about other branches.

Story Time:
At Fort Gordon, someone had backed into the side of my friend's car, but the person who did it was nowhere to be found, nor was contact information left. The investigation found the person who did it. Not only were they fined, and made to pay restitution, conveniently deducted from their paychecks by Uncle Sam to ensure it was paid, but the person had also received some degree of demerit to their service record for something like "unbecoming conduct" or some such--the kind of thing that could keep you in sh*t duty for a while, and maybe cost you a promotion. Admittedly, I'm reaching on the details, because it was back in the late 90s. I remember my friend making a really big deal of it, though, mostly because of the sorts of personnel working on base...lots of crypto-techs, like my friend, and other people who's line of work hold them to a near-perfect level of trustworthiness. I guess it was quite scandalous.

Regardless, though, I hope they get there's and you get yours, too. Like everyone else, here, I'm angry with you.
Much the same here.
I will definitely update this thread as the story develops. I appreciate all the responses. It’s nice to have some folks to vent to/commiserate with.
Given the nature of the specialties at this base, there is a strong likelihood that if the offender is also military they are looking at losing their security clearance and with that goes the job. Depending on how it all shakes out, they could find themselves out of the Air Force entirely or on a new and far less appealing career path.
Proving to have such a lack of integrity can be detrimental to ones job prospects in an organization that expects better...

·
Rider
1,160 Posts
I was researching those when this happened!! Do you mind sharing which one you went with and how tour experience with it has been?

We went with the Innov K2
I am pretty happy with this unit
Although the picture when running is a little shakey it is still very viewable and especually at a standstill
There is a park mode too so if this misshap happened to me it would be videoing it.
Front and rear cameras
I believe Kitulu also has it which is where we originally heard about this setup
Its actually pretty nice setup
86B33A24-1E4C-4253-AFB5-34CED57B0752.jpeg
531A3682-B4D9-4075-8A33-CF2B7F139A56.jpeg

·
Silver member
5,032 Posts
Sorry to see this. I hope you find the sumbitch.

It does look from the picture like it was bumped hard, but you engine looks like it received no damage so the heart and soul of your bike is in tack. The bolt on bits can be replaced. So you might just be okay once you fix it. And like someone else said a hit and run in the parking lot can be turned in to your insurance company so at least you are not hung out to dry.

Do you have any pics of your bike standing up? I think you might, hands down, have the coolest looking saddles bags I have seen on these new Spirit Lake Indians. I also like the Rocky bags that are a throw back to the Gilroy era bags, but man those are cool looking.

I'd like to see them against the fender profile. Nice work and great looking DH.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Sorry to see this. I hope you find the sumbitch.

It does look from the picture like it was bumped hard, but you engine looks like it received no damage so the heart and soul of your bike is in tack. The bolt on bits can be replaced. So you might just be okay once you fix it. And like someone else said a hit and run in the parking lot can be turned in to your insurance company so at least you are not hung out to dry.

Do you have any pics of your bike standing up? I think you might, hands down, have the coolest looking saddles bags I have seen on these new Spirit Lake Indians. I also like the Rocky bags that are a throw back to the Gilroy era bags, but man those are cool looking.

I'd like to see them against the fender profile. Nice work and great looking DH.
I’m feeling the same. Looks to be mostly a matter of replacing the fender and other bolt-on parts. My main concern is for the forks and the mount for my right floorboard which seemed bent and I think is part of the aluminum frame.

I am in love with these saddlebags as well. They are Fox Creek Leather distressed brown pony express bags that I treated with a couple coats of darkening oil. I think the brown leather is a nice accent to the blacked out DH.

I was looking for some pics of them in profile for you. These are from when I first installed them, so they are a bit lighter than they are now, but here you go.

·
Premium Member
2019 Chieftain Base++++
426 Posts
I'm not saying you parked this way or this is even what happened in this case but I always park at the front of the parking space rather than the back so that people can see the bike before they go whipping into the spot.

I'm pissed for you! And where are all the honest people in the world

·
Registered
2020 Indian Scout Jade Green and Thunder Black
150 Posts
I am very sorry for your experience. I am so paranoid about my bike that I don’t enjoy stopping somewhere and parking it. Even if I can see it.
I hope your floorboard and saddle bag protected the engine and tank.
Hopefully a little spit shine and a lever or two with a fender and pipe and you will be back in business.

I know it’s probably hard to give anyone the benefit of the doubt right now, but consider the possibility that the driver was unaware he hit you. It was a strike from behind and it wouldn’t take much to knock it forward off the kickstand and the momentum of a heavy lifted truck p= m x v could easily pop your lighter bike over the curb and the driver may not have felt it. Or heard it.
I drove my buddy’s truck one day with the extended bed and it was the most aggravating experience because I couldn’t see anything behind me, or directly in front of me for that matter (especially something low like a motorcycle) and the thing was so damn long I had to back and forthy repeatedly to get out of a parking space and avoid other parked cars and people with shopping carts. And parking it in the street? Fuhgetaboutit!!! (That’s why a lot of drivers of big, extended cab trucks park them at the edge of a parking lot backed in so the tailgate hangs over grass/ curb and they won’t stick out so much.)
Combine that with a big, loud engine (louder for a diesel) and I bet the driver may not even be aware he hit you. (He may have thought your parking space was empty). If he looked he wouldn’t see your bike on its side from the cab.
I don’t know where you’re stationed but I expect there are a limited number of lifted trucks on base and the MP’s can probably sleuth that out. (Especially if they ride.)

It’s the Easter season of redemption and reconciliation. Don’t let the negativity of anger eat you up. Life is beautiful. I am thankful you were not on it when it happened.

You will ride and smile again.
All the best! Ride safely, my friend.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
I also run a Sykik recorder. Front and rear cameras and hard wired to the battery. I ordered it with a motion sensor switch that turns it off after no motion is detected for a few minutes, and back on when the bike is moved, completely unrelated to the ignition powering on. Here are a couple of screen shots from the cameras. First, I went to the garage and shook the bike to make the system power up. Here's a pic from the front cam, screen grab from a ride in Arkansas last year when a deer ran out in front of a buddy and his wife that I was following so you can see the kind of resolution it gives.
robdeannadeer.jpg

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
Not much to say about humanity and the type of person that does this! I can only hope that they get some kind of retribution in the future. Wishing you all the best in catching the perp and that some kind of swift justice prevails! Hope your ride is easily and quickly repaired and you’re back enjoying the bike soon.

Reactions: Brian76266

·
Registered
203 Posts
I just checked, and that spot on the fender of my SDH lines up perfectly with the back bumper of my truck - not lifted - just your standard late model truck. This probably doesn't narrow the field much, but hope it helps.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
I just checked, and that spot on the fender of my SDH lines up perfectly with the back bumper of my truck - not lifted - just your standard late model truck. This probably doesn't narrow the field much, but hope it helps.
That is good info. I noticed the same when I was looking at the trucks in the parking lot. Even late model Tacomas are about the right height.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Hi Brian, a lot of the newer trucks have painted bumpers which will help spotting the paint transfer and or damage. Another thing to check is how long the surveillance video is stored. Good luck with finding the person and thank you for your service.

Phil

·
Bronze member
1,290 Posts
Over the years I’ve had damage done to cars/trucks in parking lots, both accidentally and on purpose. You know only one person stuck around and it was a 17 year old kid, he did $4500.00 damage to my wife van with a lifted 4WD pick up. I was so impressed with that kid I went a long way out and found a guy who did the repair for $1200.00 which his folks covered. I told his mother she better treat him right because he’s a great person. If I could afford to pay that myself I might have. Now the people that do damage for fun I would spend a night in the slammer and smile the whole time.

Really sorry to see your ride down there. Hopefully it turns into a better thing. Best wishes, cheers

·
Registered
18 Posts
Heartbreaking to see. Thank you for your service. That alone deserves that this accident is made right.

21 - 40 of 58 Posts