Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This happened yesterday. My DH was parked just minding its own when someone managed to accomplish this.
I would’ve just been upset if the person who did it stuck around and owned up to it. Then we could’ve handled it through insurance. After all, that’s what it is for. However, the coward creamed by bike—dragging it up ONTO the curb in front of the parking spot and tucked tail.
Funny part is, this happened on a military installation, within a half hour window, on a small base. We will figure out who it was.
I just hoping I can repair it. Replacing some tins and levers etc. if the frame was tweaked though, they might total it out.

My heart is sick over this.

I don’t post here often, but I’ve been a member for a long time. I joined right around when I bought this bike new in 2015. I shouldn’t have been able to afford a new Indian, but I figured it out by sacrificing other parts of my budget. I recognize being able to afford a second vehicle is a better situation than many people find themselves in and I’m not trying to say I have it hard or anything, I’m just saying that the only way I was able to buy this bike was by making it my main mode of transportation which meant certain times I rode when I would have rather hopped into a cage and taken the climate controlled route. I was within $1500 of paying it off and had poured a LOT of myself into this bike over the years. An accident while riding was always a possibility, but this? The lack of dignity in it all...
If I end up with just the ACV plus some additional accessory coverage I’d included, I don’t know if I’ll have the heart to invest the same incremental customization that took me 6.5 years on this one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
200 Posts
They say that everything happens for a reason... but this is one of those cases that seems to shoot that theory down and just really pi$$e$ a guy off. Maybe if your bike hadn't gotten creamed you would have ridden it and been sideswiped/killed/etc....who knows?
I'm sure we all really feel your pain here - nothing to do but get it on the road again. There's no argument about one other thing - some people really need to beaten to death with a shoe!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Well that sure sucks! Bad enough that someone just wasn't paying attention but had to also run off. Hope you are able to find out who the guilty party is and make them pay to fix the damage.

·
Rider
437 Posts
Sorry to see this happen to you. Just another example that people don‘t care and will not step up and take responsibility for their action.. Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Where is the point of impact? I’m looking at the pictures and I can’t figure out what happened.

·
Administrator
15,430 Posts
That truly sux. Assuming the a-hole backed into you (to knock you up and over the curb), I’d be looking carefully at the back end of all vehs that park in that lot (for at least this week). Take photos of any that are damaged and include license plates. If any have matching paint, notify base security. (Although at these parking lot speeds you may or may not have that.). And I’d be pushing for a dedicated parking spot for motorcycles with concrete barriers.

Sorry it happened.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Where is the point of impact? I’m looking at the pictures and I can’t figure out what happened.
It looks to me like they hit the rear fender - just above the taillight.
Hopefully that will make it easier to identify the vehicle involved.

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
It was a lifted truck. It hit the rear fender ABOVE the tail light. You can see the dent in the fender behind the seat. Shouldn't be hard to find if there are any cameras in the area at all. People who work there probably know everyone who drives one of those trucks, as their owners tend to make sure everyone knows what they've done to them, LOL. Good luck and hope you find the perp.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Wow good eyes y’all. Yeah there’s no question. Not only that but they hit it hard and managed to clear all the lights.

·
Registered
2022 Chief Bobber Dark Horse, 2021 Indian Vintage, 2019 Indian FTR-RR, 1977 Yamaha XS750
233 Posts
Wow - I would be angry and “sick” at the same time. I am beyond paranoid when I park my bike. Now it will be even worse....

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Keep us posted on your progress. I know we would all like to see some justice administered.
There is a bright side that you alluded to in your original post - you weren't on the bike. Many of us here have had some contention with cagers that involved literal skin in the game. Still - just looking at this makes me angry with you.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Because the bike was parked you can go against your own insurance and they will cover the damage (less your deductible) and it will not increase your rates. See if you have Uninsured motorist coverage or if covered under your Collision coverage policy.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well that sure sucks! Bad enough that someone just wasn't paying attention but had to also run off. Hope you are able to find out who the guilty party is and make them pay to fix the damage.
Me too!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It looks to me like they hit the rear fender - just above the taillight.
Hopefully that will make it easier to identify the vehicle involved.
True. It even seems like they initially hit at the taillight level and then scraped up until the offending vehicles suspension and the bikes suspension ran out office and started crushing the dent in the rear fender above the light.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It was a lifted truck. It hit the rear fender ABOVE the tail light. You can see the dent in the fender behind the seat. Shouldn't be hard to find if there are any cameras in the area at all. People who work there probably know everyone who drives one of those trucks, as their owners tend to make sure everyone knows what they've done to them, LOL. Good luck and hope you find the perp.
Yeah. It’s about a half hour window that it happened. I’m betting they immediately left base after hitting it so there’s a limited number of suspects. It’s a Guard base, so no one lives on base. Thanks for the luck. I’m pretty confident we’ll find the a hole.

·
Rider
1,153 Posts
I am mad as hell with you to be reading and seeing this.
I hope you find their scumbag ass and make them pay bitter
This is why I am happy to have a front and rear camera set which would detect the impact and record!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I am mad as hell with you to be reading and seeing this.
I hope you find their scumbag ass and make them pay bitter
This is why I am happy to have a front and rear camera set which would detect the impact and record!
I was researching those when this happened!! Do you mind sharing which one you went with and how tour experience with it has been?

·
Bronze member
2,003 Posts
Really feel your pain. So not good when you put your heart into something just for it to be smacked down.

As for video, I’m using the inexpensive SYKIK dual cameras DVR and Antigravity battery pack in my saddle bag.
It’s possible to connect directly to the bike battery and a switched power wire. I wanted a way to keep the cameras going while away from the bike. Get about six hours per charge on the battery pack.

Using it for a few years now, only problem was with SD card not holding in slot. Was able to wedge a little piece of plastic to make it stay in.

Only had two incidences while bike was parked somewhere, one being nothing after I played video back. Discovered I never plugged the battery in when I left home, and the reason I was checking is because I had also left the saddle bag unlatched. Only noticed it when I walked back to my bike later.
The other time was when someone left a fake hundred dollar bill on the seat. Was at a school basketball game and teenagers were seen and heard milling around. I took that as sort of a complement.

Reactions: Brian76266
1 - 20 of 54 Posts